Apple Intelligence & iPhone mirroring aren't coming to EU because of the DMA

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    I hope that Apple sticks to this. As a matter of principle.

Apple Intelligence will be so deeply integrated, but they must be building it in such a way where it can be disabled regionally. Interesting. Will VPNs trick it?
    If not, maybe this is an opportunity for a developer to create a VPN that allows for this functionality.  If the EU wants to continue passing laws without understanding the technology, workarounds could be the solution. 
    JaiOh81ssfe11
  • Reply 42 of 121
    bela12bela12 Posts: 4member
    This is why the EU lags in tech and competition with their focus on flawed 'equity based' solutions. Why in the world should Apple build all the infrastructure and bear all of the ongoing costs for things like the App Store or Apple Intelligence, but then be forced to allow others to come in and disproportionately profit off that infrastructure without bearing the associated costs. If anything, *that* sounds like giving competitors an unfair advantage. If other companies don't like it, well they can go build their own phone/OS/app stores, which is exactly what Android is.
    radarthekatssfe11tmaydanoxwilliamlondon80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 43 of 121
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,871moderator
    Psamathos said:
    This seems like a whole load of posturing and blackmail to me. Basically they are saying "we can't enable screen sharing to apps that Apple hasn't authorised because they might allow data to go somewhere that violates the users' privacy". Well, you know, you could always ask the user, couldn't you? Maybe a dialogue box the first time you connect to an app that's not signed by Apple isn't the absolutely perfect user experience, but it's an awful lot better than killing the feature all together. Given that Apple's own app store doesn't have a perfect record on vetting applications, that same pop-up-on-first-connect would probably be useful for Apple App Store apps too.

So no, this isn't EU regulation causing problems. This is Apple causing problems and attempting to blame the EU, because it doesn't want to loose its insanely lucrative monopoly by which is takes 30% of the entire value of the App Store for its own profit.

Apple’s 30% doesn’t represent profit.  Apple incurs many costs to create, update and maintain the App Store.  There’s a wide gap between revenue and profit.  
    edited June 21 JaiOh81ssfe11tmaychasmaderutterwilliamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 121
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 121member
    It’s bluff on Apple’s part. Apple Intelligence wasn’t going to be available anyway because it only works in English for now.

its also bluff because Microsoft’s solution is available and working in multiple languages and countries, and so is Google’s (and ChatGPT, as well as others).

So Apple is agitating the American flag to hide the limitations of their current AI implementation. 
    nubus9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 45 of 121
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,076member
    bela12 said:
    This is why the EU lags in tech and competition with their focus on flawed 'equity based' solutions. Why in the world should Apple build all the infrastructure and bear all of the ongoing costs for things like the App Store or Apple Intelligence, but then be forced to allow others to come in and disproportionately profit off that infrastructure without bearing the associated costs. If anything, *that* sounds like giving competitors an unfair advantage. If other companies don't like it, well they can go build their own phone/OS/app stores, which is exactly what Android is.

What I find interesting is that so much of the top talent in AI today came to the USA from Europe (EU). Not only will there be a fork in the road there also will be an even bigger time lapse and higher cost in getting the latest tech.
    tmaydewme80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 46 of 121
    temperortemperor Posts: 76member
    pascal007 said:
    It’s bluff on Apple’s part. Apple Intelligence wasn’t going to be available anyway because it only works in English for now.

its also bluff because Microsoft’s solution is available and working in multiple languages and countries, and so is Google’s (and ChatGPT, as well as others).

So Apple is agitating the American flag to hide the limitations of their current AI implementation. 
    It’s not a bluf, ChatGPT is a website and Microsoft Recall was so open that all your private data can be leaked everywhere, there was such a big backlash Windows Recall is not launched due to this.

The DMA would force Apple to offer access to the most Private part,  aka Apple Intelligence framework and semantic database, to third party stores apps that can feast on your data like there is no tomorrow, if you do call this bluff fine, I call it overreaching of bureaucrats that dit not realized that complex laws will impact innovation, just because they could not look into the future.
    tmayaderutterwilliamlondonIreneW
  • Reply 47 of 121
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,318member
    I would recommend if anyone wants to have a glimpse into the future of EU app stores, listen to the FT podcast tech tonic and their multipart series about Chinese technology.  One of the podcasts is about the android OS penetration in Africa where multiple apps allow convenient lending in minutes (at a 30% interest rate).

Unfortunately if the user defaults, the apps harvest the contacts and the photos on the device to “shame” the user into paying off the loan.  They do this by sending text messages to your contacts to let everyone know you are a deadbeat and throw some compromising photos to the mix.

The EU may regret their insistence on the breakup of the app store duopoly.  If they are going to encourage third market apps, it is on the EU government to police them.  I hope they are ready.
    tmay
  • Reply 48 of 121
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,076member

pascal007 said:

But the original Jewel in the Crown Recall is not, and Microsoft has its own problems aside from the Recall fiasco the Snapdragon SOC is under performing, and the Microsoft Arm emulation software is also having trouble too.

It no bluff on Apples part its the EU Tech Delay, Apple products with fewer features, higher cost owned by the upper 5% in the EU. With Android and Recall Windows left as far as the eyes can see that is the future for most within the EU and that future will also include most of top tech talent coming to America.

JaiOh81ssfe11
  • Reply 49 of 121
    nubusnubus Posts: 462member
    Absolutely — me too!  I was in Greece recently, and the cookie pages that came up were incredibly annoying and some were so complex that it was comical.  Why on earth do EU citizens put up with this insanity?  It felt like I was transported back to the 90s.
    The politicians (hint: those we elect) got tired of users being tracked and profiled. A lot of lobbying in both directions back in 2017.

The consent management platforms (CMP) differ but most adhere to IAB TCF 2.2 causing the granular options you experienced. There might also be some companies saying "you can only see this if you get tracked" which is not legal. Local Data Protection Agencies (DPAs) have started to fine companies to make sure they adhere to the law. 
    Online media in the DACH countries are doing "pay or consent" cookie-walls at low prices. Meta does offer this as well but at $14/month and the EU launched an investigation into a breach of the Digital Markets Act. Implementing a CMP is 2 lines of code.

The.only reason for EU to set these rules is to make sure companies operating in the EU don't have to worry about 27 different rules. UK identified 300 internal trade barriers. The "European single market" removed those and more. The person behind all of it was the UK PM Margaret Thatcher as she wanted to boost the European economy. In a surprising plot twist the country most affected by red tape and trade barriers towards neighbours is now UK and they have no benefit from the market they created.

kiltedgreensphericmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 50 of 121
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    The DMA ultimately leads to a technological monoculture where there is a single platform. It would take a lot less resources for Apple to just support and ship EU iPhones with Android. Any European customer that wants a real iPhone can just order one online from outside the EU market.
    dewmewilliamlondondanoxJaiOh81
  • Reply 51 of 121
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,621member
    nubus said:
    I've been criticized for about 10 years on these forums for asking Apple to pull out of major markets which harass them
    20 US states and DoJ have an antitrust lawsuit against Apple. China won't allow it, Apple believe EU won't be happy, there are antitrust cases in UK and Brazil. Should Apple quit US, China, EU, UK, and Brazil?

While Apple is trying to win by not doing business we see Google shipping localized language support on Android in EU.
    Remember what happened when Google decided not to do business in China and handed Baidu all the cards. Seems Apple is now happy to let Google get EU.
    You are missing my point entirely. Every time Apple kowtows to harassment, the harassment will get worse and worse. Last year Apple capitulated four times to Europe, and each year Europe is going to get bolder and bolder in its demands. If Tim Cook would just stand up once to the EU, they might back off, and so might other jurisdictions outside Europe. Keeping AI from Europe is the perfect first salvo. Europeans will demand that EU politicians do whatever it takes to bring Apple's AI in. It might even impact European elections to get rid of the hostile politicians. All your thoughts are short term. You need to think more strategically. But you are a lot like Tim Cook, you have no guts to fight.
    ssfe11
  • Reply 52 of 121
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,854member
    The rules are the rules. It's as simple as that.

If Apple thinks it will fall foul to legislation it can always ask the EU for clarification. It has direct communication channels with the relevant parties within the EU. 

Has it done that or simply chosen to make a meal out of things? 

We'll see over the coming months but it's Apple's call and can choose to not implement features if it wishes. 

Currently, as most of the EU wasn't going to get the localised AI features at this point anyway, it's more of a case of FUD by Apple.

Probably not the most 'intelligent' of moves. 
    mainyehc9secondkox2sphericmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 53 of 121
    nubusnubus Posts: 462member
    Last year Apple capitulated four times to Europe, and each year Europe is going to get bolder and bolder in its demands. If Tim Cook would just stand up once to the EU, they might back off, and so might other jurisdictions outside Europe. 
    Apple launched the attack 3 weeks AFTER all 720 EU politicians got elected for 5 years. Worst timing ever?

USB-C and open App Stores weren't even discussed at the recent election. It was climate, immigration, and national control (states) vs. EU (federal). Does this sound familiar to most elections in the US? Apple won't win like this. 
    mainyehc9secondkox2williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 121
    I thought I'd have to switch to Graphene to get away from this AI horseshit, but I guess the oppressive EU regime is proving useful for once.
  • Reply 55 of 121
    We all need to leave the EU - the UK did it right, they left. 

Germany needs to leave also, it's currently paying for all these southern countries

The southern countries need to leave as they've been made unaffordable thanks to the Euro. When they can go back to their weak currencies both residents and tourists will be able to afford life again. 

The rest should also leave - the EU is a dictatorship of bureaucrats - a bureaucracy that continuously seeks to increase its own importance by issuing more and more regulations, each regulation gives the EU more power and the countries less, and the citizens even less. 

I love that Apple needs to open its app store - but I don't love that it's done by a EU mandate. 

The deeper implication of these power-grab laws haven't even been understood yet. It's always sold as something good for the people, and against the big bad corporations, but in reality it's the big bad EU showing the corporations who's really boss. It's all about power. 

ssfe11globby9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 56 of 121
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 135member

[…] It might even impact European elections to get rid of the hostile politicians. […]
    Dude. Have you looked at a calendar or the news recently? That ship has sailed, this election cycle for the European Parliament just ended a bit under two weeks ago, on June 9th. Bar some insane scandal, there’s gonna be no changes to said “hostile politicians” over the next five years.
    nubuswilliamlondonsphericmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 121
    I'm looking forward to the MASSIVE fines.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 58 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,382member
    Hahahahaha I called it. I called it.

Apple is using the stupid EU laws against it to prove a point. Now Apple fans in the EU are going to turn on the EU because their rules are hobbling great products.

Ironically for the EU that’s exactly what they wanted, consumers having a choice. Their choice will be they want Apple products to be unhindered by stupid laws.

Great move Apple.

Also don’t forget that Apple is hindering their products in America. Apple Watch 9 has a product removal thanks to a law that sided with a non-playing entity.
    According to what Apple has said prior to this, it wasn't coming to any iPhones outside of the US this year anyway. Not Canada. Not the UK. Not China or Russia or Taiwan. Nothing has changed, it's only posturing. 
    sphericmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,382member
    LOL. The EU shooting itself in the foot with their nonsense. 
    Am I correct that China accounts for less Apple revenue than the EU? Last report I saw was China @15%.

Apple seems eager enough to work within Chinese rules, agreeing to roll over on RCS, "that iPhone owners aren't demanding", giving access to Chinese user data to Chinese entities on Chinese-owned and operated servers with the keys to the kingdom in hand, even abandoning privacy (obviously not an Apple "core value"), all market requirements which are far more restrictive than anything the EU has mandated. But the EU is too demanding? 
    edited June 22 9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 60 of 121
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,511member
    danox said:

What I find interesting is that so much of the top talent in AI today came to the USA from Europe (EU). Not only will there be a fork in the road there also will be an even bigger time lapse and higher cost in getting the latest tech.
    I agree with this sentiment entirely but I wouldn’t limit it to AI alone. The US has benefited immensely from the contributions from EU intellectuals, mathematicians, scientists, physicists, engineers, and technologists, just to name a few in areas that are closest to us. The fundamental architecture of the vast majority of all computers that currently exist, down to the Apple Watch and iPhone and up the latest supercomputers, are based on the work of John von Neumann, a Hungarian immigrant. Look at who the principal contributors to the Manhattan Project and the evolution of NASA were and where they came from.

Moving on from historical facts, even today the German dual system of vocational training is a proven template that lays out a very practical way for the US to vastly improve its technical and vocational strength across board. The US is far more focused on shoving ideological and political BS down students’ throats rather than making it a national priority to ensure students graduate from high schools and colleges with the education and skills that allow them to start to contribute to society immediately. 

I believe Apple and Tim Cook as its leader have no desire to engage in a tit-for-tat battle with anyone. They are always seeking solutions and compromises that do not fundamentally break Apple’s core values to its stakeholders and customers while keeping the business healthy and growing, both in product quality and meeting bottom line financial targets. As we’ve seen lately, Apple is trying to engage in preemptive actions to avoid a potential catastrophe from both foreign and domestic threats. There is a real risk associated with China and its current circle of “friends.” There is also a real risk of home grown fascism taking hold in the current cesspool of negativity and grievance that has engulfed a significant portion of the US population. 

Compromise and developing a shared focus on things that really matter are key to the path toward to reach a solution. Fighting will get us nowhere. Maybe Apple can serve as an example for others to follow.
    kiltedgreendanox