Apple Intelligence & iPhone mirroring aren't coming to EU because of the DMA

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,943member
    I'm looking forward to the MASSIVE fines.
    Fines for what? The EU set unclear rules for releasing in their market, and Apple decided not to release there. 
    ihatescreennameswilliamlondon
  • Reply 62 of 121
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,883member
    gatorguy said:
    LOL. The EU shooting itself in the foot with their nonsense. 
    Am I correct that China accounts for less Apple revenue than the EU? Last report I saw was China @15%.

Apple seems eager enough to work within Chinese rules, agreeing to roll over on RCS, "that iPhone owners aren't demanding", giving access to Chinese user data to Chinese entities on Chinese-owned and operated servers with the keys to the kingdom in hand, even abandoning privacy (obviously not an Apple "core value"), all market requirements which are far more restrictive than anything the EU has mandated. But the EU is too demanding? 
    Less to do with sales and more to do with favorable msnufacturing opportunities. It’s cheap resources and labor in China (at least it used to be). Not so much in Europe. Apple could pull out of Europe and be ok. 

And apple is hedging its China bet with diversification. Would love to see them stop kissing the feet of a walking human rights violation and cut ties. 
    edited June 22 JaiOh81
  • Reply 63 of 121
    Anilu_777 said:
    Hopefully that won’t effect us here in England
    Thank god for Brexit.
    I hope England isn’t grouped with “Europe” anyway. British tech people need to lobby Apple to make sure this is understood. 
    Too late, by several hundred if not a thousand years!

England is part of the UK … which is in Europe. We are very regrettably no longer in the EU but of course still have to abide by their rules to sell to them even though, unlike prior to 2016 when we were actually involved in drafting them.

Lobbying Apple? Apple, being a smart global company, are well aware we are not in the EU which is why the multiple browser choices in 17.5 and the like never appeared for me during my OS updates.
    nubusspheric9secondkox2danox
  • Reply 64 of 121
    imatimat Posts: 212member
    On Monday the new developer beta will come out. I’ll be able to see if Switzerland is considered EU (it is NOT) by Apple.
    dewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 65 of 121
    YucamYucam Posts: 5member
    The EU is dying anyways. So, who cares !
    williamlondontmay9secondkox2teejay2012dee_dee
  • Reply 66 of 121
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,918member
    gatorguy said:
    Am I correct that China accounts for less Apple revenue than the EU? Last report I saw was China @15%. ;
    You are probably not correct. They don't break out the EU separately and their "Europe" numbers include the Middle East as well as at least part of Africa.
  • Reply 67 of 121
    My guess is that Apple is going to have to start removing existing functionality from EU phones as the EU continues demanding changes that compromise user security and privacy and continues making other unreasonable demands. The final step would be to pull out of the EU altogether and simply ship enough phones to non-member states like Switzerland and the UK to fill a hungry grey market. The Swiss are particularly well positioned for this.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 68 of 121
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,076member
    bela12 said:
    This is why the EU lags in tech and competition with their focus on flawed 'equity based' solutions. Why in the world should Apple build all the infrastructure and bear all of the ongoing costs for things like the App Store or Apple Intelligence, but then be forced to allow others to come in and disproportionately profit off that infrastructure without bearing the associated costs. If anything, *that* sounds like giving competitors an unfair advantage. If other companies don't like it, well they can go build their own phone/OS/app stores, which is exactly what Android is.

Both EU and China in the end will want Apple technology sharing, in short their native AI companies given a leg up to look the other way Mistral pastries or the Chinese version anyone?

• Reply 69 of 121
    danox said:
    bela12 said:
    This is why the EU lags in tech and competition with their focus on flawed 'equity based' solutions. Why in the world should Apple build all the infrastructure and bear all of the ongoing costs for things like the App Store or Apple Intelligence, but then be forced to allow others to come in and disproportionately profit off that infrastructure without bearing the associated costs. If anything, *that* sounds like giving competitors an unfair advantage. If other companies don't like it, well they can go build their own phone/OS/app stores, which is exactly what Android is.

Both EU and China in the end will want Apple technology sharing, in short their native AI companies given a leg up to look the other way Mistral pastries or the Chinese version anyone?

Mistral pastries?
  • Reply 70 of 121
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 984member
    This is just Apple being spiteful.  A temper tantrum, and an attempt to stop DMA-like policies from spreading to other countries’ markets, which there are already signs of it happening.  I support the EU mostly.  We’d still have Lightning if it wasn’t for them.

And Phil, I’m happy to make the judgement call on what I deem safe to install on my devices, thank you.  And I accept the consequences.  It’s not like the App Store hasn’t had its share of security threats and dodgy apps.
    edited June 22 avon b7williamlondonsphericmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 71 of 121
    I'm looking forward to the MASSIVE fines.
    Apple can alway withdraw COMPLETELY from the EU. And why wouldn’t they if the fines consume all the profits of doing business there? 

Not great for Apple but Europe will have to live with Android; which might even include Google’s services if they do the same to them.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    danox said:
    bela12 said:

Mistral pastries?
    Mistral is a French EU based AI company Apple including OpenAI on their system means the EU will (ala Spotify ) require Apple to give Mistral and others based in Europe a position on Apples system for the sake of fair play and competition.
    edited June 22 spheric
  • Reply 73 of 121

gatorguy said:
    Am I correct that China accounts for less Apple revenue than the EU? Last report I saw was China @15%. ;
    You are probably not correct. They don't break out the EU separately and their "Europe" numbers include the Middle East as well as at least part of Africa.

China is bigger and Japan is also close and all of Asia together is even bigger still, also most of the EU users of Apple devices are in the North richer Germanic language countries and the numbers would be even higher if the UK was still in the EU. 
  • Reply 74 of 121

gatorguy said:

China is bigger and Japan is also close and all of Asia together is even bigger still, most of the EU users of Apple devices are in the North richer Germanic language speaking countries and the numbers would be even bigger if the UK was still in the EU.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/iphone-market-share-by-country
  • Reply 75 of 121
    Afarstar said:
    Fantastic news. Anything Apple can do to screw the EU is fine by me. At least we’ll get all the features in the UK. 

Meanwhile the rest of the EU is laughing at your silly miserable arses still living in the delusion of the empire, cratering into irrelevance fueled by bigotry and xenophobia.
    avon b7williamlondonspheric
  • Reply 76 of 121
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 246member
    Apple is trying to get public pressure on the EU to drop this. IT WONT WORK.  Apple, your lawyers aren’t doing you any favors 
    williamlondons.metcalf
  • Reply 77 of 121
    Fred257 said:
    Apple is trying to get public pressure on the EU to drop this. IT WONT WORK.  Apple, your lawyers aren’t doing you any favors 

maybe. Or … they’re just waiting until a certain aggressive military power shows its hand, and then it’s all moot.  :D
  • Reply 78 of 121
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    I guess EU folks can go to UK and buy iPhone that may overcome such restriction. Anyway, at some point EU will adopt what rest of the world is already using.
  • Reply 79 of 121
    longfanglongfang Posts: 488member
    Afarstar said:
    Fantastic news. Anything Apple can do to screw the EU is fine by me. At least we’ll get all the features in the UK. 

Oh dear.

Yep, all the EU features like a single market, customs union, free movement, no roaming charges, being part of multiple cross-country organisations and initiatives. No, wait. We lost all those, and more, when we left. Never mind though ‘cos if Apple can stick it to the EU then who cares?
    I’m ok with anything that screws with the UK too. It’s past time for your colonial karmic past to catch up to you. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 80 of 121
    longfanglongfang Posts: 488member
    Psamathos said:
    This seems like a whole load of posturing and blackmail to me. Basically they are saying "we can't enable screen sharing to apps that Apple hasn't authorised because they might allow data to go somewhere that violates the users' privacy". Well, you know, you could always ask the user, couldn't you? Maybe a dialogue box the first time you connect to an app that's not signed by Apple isn't the absolutely perfect user experience, but it's an awful lot better than killing the feature all together. Given that Apple's own app store doesn't have a perfect record on vetting applications, that same pop-up-on-first-connect would probably be useful for Apple App Store apps too.

So no, this isn't EU regulation causing problems. This is Apple causing problems and attempting to blame the EU, because it doesn't want to loose its insanely lucrative monopoly by which is takes 30% of the entire value of the App Store for its own profit.

Cry more. Also it’s lose not loose although your marbles might be. 
    williamlondon