Rivian adds Apple Music, but won't consider CarPlay

Posted:
in iOS

Rivian CEO says it's awesome having Apple Music in its cars, but the firm wants drivers to use its systems instead of switching in and out of CarPlay.

Rivian R1T
Rivian R1T

It's been said that Apple should buy Rivian, and it's certainly been said that General Motors made a mistake ditching CarPlay. But in a new interview, Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe says he "thinks the world" of Apple products but won't add CarPlay -- and that Apple wouldn't do it in his position either.

"We have a great relationship with Apple," Scaringe told The Verge, "[but] imagine Apple was developing a Mac, and there was someone that had a software application -- let's maybe call it Windows -- and they said, 'We have a turnkey platform that everybody knows how to use,' would they have put that in their car?"

"Would they have developed their own iOS? We know how that played out," he continued. "So, as much as I love their products, there's a reason that ironically is very consistent with Apple ethos for us to want to control the ecosystem."

Scaringe's argument is that users have to switch out of CarPlay to control car functions. "For example, if you're in CarPlay and want to open the front trunk," he said, "you have to leave the application and go to another interface."

That ignores what Apple has been claiming for the future of CarPlay, despite Scaringe specifically being asked about that forthcoming version of Apple's software.

Instead, Scaringe answers only about the current state of CarPlay and argues that what customers actually want is for Rivian to match what Apple has. "I think the biggest complaint today around the lack of CarPlay is the improvements we need to make in mapping, whic are coming," he said.

"We recognize that it'll take us time to fully capture every feature that's in CarPlay, and hopefully, customers are seeing that," he added. "I think [CarPlay] often gets more noise than it deserves."

Rivian has, though, been adding Apple Music to its cars in 2024, and including Dolby Atmos. "It's a big step up improvement in the audio performance of the vehicle," said Scaringe, "it's awesome to have Apple Music in the car."

Apple did not mention CarPlay in its WWDC 2024 keynote. However, it has added some features to it for iOS 18.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,004member
    These dudes still just don’t get it. I don’t want to use their coming-along infotainment systems. I don’t want to use a Rivian mapping app. I want to use the polished one I already use every day, that is feature-rich, and integrates with my devices and events. 

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

xyzzy01twolf2919gregoriusmbakerzdosenwilliamlondonVictorMortimerDead_Poolentropysbarthrhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    TimJobsTimJobs Posts: 4member
    They do get it. They don’t want to use apples proprietary software when trying to have you navigate the functions of the car. Why do you think Tesla hasn’t enabled android or CarPlay? Because these companies are putting the entire settings into the screen

These dudes still just don’t get it. I don’t want to use their coming-along infotainment systems. I don’t want to use a Rivian mapping app. I want to use the polished one I already use every day, that is feature-rich, and integrates with my devices and events. 

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

M68000grandact73CrossPlatformFroggerwilliamlondonrob53elijahg
  • Reply 3 of 34
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 142member

Not only that, but many apps will be missing or feature reduced as well. For me, Carplay is one of the must-haves on a car - alongside being electric, 4WD, adaptive cruise control, an instrument panel or at a minimum a HUD, and good cameras.

williamlondonrob53VictorMortimerentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 133member
    TimJobs said:
    They do get it. They don’t want to use apples proprietary software when trying to have you navigate the functions of the car. Why do you think Tesla hasn’t enabled android or CarPlay? Because these companies are putting the entire settings into the screen

You seem like you've never used CarPlay or Android Auto.  What "functions of the car" do you think CarPlay controls?  I'll tell you - none.   It's a pure money grab by these executives.  They want you tied to their infotainment stack so you can, at some point, pony up for services you already get on your smartphone.
    roundaboutnowwilliamlondonentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 142member
    twolf2919 said:
    TimJobs said:

You seem like you've never used CarPlay or Android Auto.  What "functions of the car" do you think CarPlay controls?  I'll tell you - none.   It's a pure money grab by these executives.  They want you tied to their infotainment stack so you can, at some point, pony up for services you already get on your smartphone.
    To be fair, for EVs deep integration into maps can be useful. You can add charging stations to your route based on need and even preheat the battery (if needed) before you arrive for optimal charging speed.

But at least on my Jaguar, access to the native apps is just a click away inside Carplay.
    byronlwilliamlondondewmeelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 133member
    xyzzy01 said:
    twolf2919 said:
    TimJobs said:

To be fair, for EVs deep integration into maps can be useful. You can add charging stations to your route based on need and even preheat the battery (if needed) before you arrive for optimal charging speed.

But at least on my Jaguar, access to the native apps is just a click away inside Carplay.
    Fine!  Nobody's asking the car makers to get rid of their map software - if' that integration is useful enough, people will adopt it.  The point is that Tesla and Rivian (and now GM) are preemptively eliminating customer choice.  If  Scaringe's argument were valid and people just shouldn't have to exit CarPlay to access car functions, then make your car's stack superior to CarPlay - nobody would enter CarPlay in the first place!  But it's all nonsense and hand-waving to distract from the fact that  Rigian, Tesla, and GM just want to avoid (or eliminate in the case of GM) competition - and eventually charge for their substandard services instead of allowing users to use the services they already pay for on their phones.
    StrangeDaysDead_Poolentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    XedXed Posts: 2,768member
    TimJobs said:
    You know as much about how CarPlay and Android Auto work as you about formatting a reply on a text forum. CarPlay isn't installed into the vehicle so they aren't using it. They are merely allowing a connected iPhone to send the CarPlay UI via USB or WiFi to a vehicle's display. It's effectively allows the iPhone to have a second display with a UI and some tie-ins to some basic controls.

When I rent a car I don't have to figure out how to use their clunky infotainment system, I simply plug in my iPhone and I get a system I recognize with addresses via typing or Siri that aren't being saved into the car, all of which adds safety and security for the driver.

Android Auto works the same way for most people, but I think Android has partnered with at least one automobile makers to supply the infotainment system, too.
    edited July 22 muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDaysroundaboutnowwilliamlondonrob53Dead_Poolentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    I was considering purchasing a Rivian last summer. Then I heard about the lack of CarPlay, and immediately removed Rivian from my list of possible vehicles. Sorry Rivian, you'll always be losing customers because of this.
    williamlondonDead_Poolentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    foobarfoobar Posts: 108member

"We recognize that it'll take us time to fully capture every feature that's in CarPlay, and hopefully, customers are seeing that," he added. "I think [CarPlay] often gets more noise than it deserves."

He doesn't get why CarPlay is a big deal. It's not about features. They aren't that great indeed. It's about integration and the ecosystem.
    If he thinks they can equal that, I don't know what he's smoking.

Every company and service has an iOS app. Making one for a few Rivians isn't on anyone's roadmap. You'll maybe get Apple Music, Spotify and one crappy podcast app and that's it. The maps aren't that great, but calendar events are integrated, Find My is integrated, and any app can just provide a destination with the share button. Even if you get everyone to port their apps. Are you logging in each driver to all those services? What about renting a car? Does the car need its own data plan?

Even if you "fully capture" everything in CarPlay … It's just so incredibly messy compared to just plugging in your phone that already has everything.

And to what end? Will you sell even one extra car by not having CarPlay as an option?

You know what? About that Mac/Windows example? Macs were really successful when they also started booting Windows. It didn't hurt OS X and it didn't hurt Mac sales. Probably even more people made the jump to OS X because they knew Windows was still an option on the hardware. Apple also believed they could do better than Windows, that's why they didn't mind supporting it.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowwilliamlondonDead_Poolentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    foobar said:
    He doesn't get why CarPlay is a big deal. It's not about features. They aren't that great indeed. It's about integration and the ecosystem.
    If he thinks they can equal that, I don't know what he's smoking.

Every company and service has an iOS app. Making one for a few Rivians isn't on anyone's roadmap. You'll maybe get Apple Music, Spotify and one crappy podcast app and that's it. The maps aren't that great, but calendar events are integrated, Find My is integrated, and any app can just provide a destination with the share button. Even if you get everyone to port their apps. Are you logging in each driver to all those services? What about renting a car? Does the car need its own data plan?

Even if you "fully capture" everything in CarPlay … It's just so incredibly messy compared to just plugging in your phone that already has everything.

And to what end? Will you sell even one extra car by not having CarPlay as an option?

You know what? About that Mac/Windows example? Macs were really successful when they also started booting Windows. It didn't hurt OS X and it didn't hurt Mac sales. Probably even more people made the jump to OS X because they knew Windows was still an option on the hardware. Apple also believed they could do better than Windows, that's why they didn't mind supporting it.
    They will not. They will, however, lose sales because of this (case in point, me). Although I'd also argue that's probably not enough to warrant the expense of making their infotainment system CarPlay-ready, especially when you add in the revenue they'll get from selling user info which they can't do with CarPlay superseding most of the infotainment options.

At least it comes with SiriusXM. I think only the last couple years of the Tesla Model S had an option for SiriusXM. Everyone else had to connect their smartphone to the built-in audio system and stream it via cellular, which defeats a huge benefit for having SiriusXM in a vehicle.
    Dead_Poolentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,711member
    I have Carplay in the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV.   Now, the Bolt doesn't have any mapping abilities or charge and route planning.

Neither does Car Play.   

All it has is Maps, for navigation, which I use... sometimes.   If I play music, it's either iTunes or Youtube Music.  And those don't really require anything on the screen.   

Apple wants OEMs to adapt Carplay as an easy way to slap an interface on their cars instead of developing expensive interfaces in-house.   Instead, the OEMs mostly do a half-ass job and no one notices how bad they are because most don't care.

Car Play came out of the dead Apple EV.   And it probably won't get very far either.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 34
    eriamjh said:
    I have Carplay in the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV.   Now, the Bolt doesn't have any mapping abilities or charge and route planning.

Neither does Car Play.   

All it has is Maps, for navigation, which I use... sometimes.   If I play music, it's either iTunes or Youtube Music.  And those don't really require anything on the screen.   

Apple wants OEMs to adapt Carplay as an easy way to slap an interface on their cars instead of developing expensive interfaces in-house.   Instead, the OEMs mostly do a half-ass job and no one notices how bad they are because most don't care.

Car Play came out of the dead Apple EV.   And it probably won't get very far either.
    1) CarPlay was released over a decade ago. It is not the result of Project Titan being shuttered.

2) It's not a feature that I use, but I'm under the impression that EV charging was added several years ago, with real time Ev charging station availability was added last year with iOS 17.

StrangeDayswilliamlondonVictorMortimerDead_Poolentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,137member
    eriamjh said:

Neither does Car Play.   

I have a 2019 Bolt - you're missing out.

You can have maps directly on the Bolt with a subscription. CarPlay is "free" - You can use Apple Maps or third party apps like A Better Route Planner for charge and route planning.

Also - I think a lot of people aren't catching what Tesla and Rivian are really saying. They don't have many physical controls or controls separate from the main screen…
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    eriamjh said:

Neither does Car Play.   

CarPlay has been around since 2015, and it's supported by 800+ car models. I would say it's doing quite well.
    williamlondonVictorMortimerentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,004member
    TimJobs said:

They don’t get it, because they think having customers use their own proprietary system, which is siloed, is somehow a better user experience. It isn’t. 

First off, software-controlled climate controls suck - give me knobs and levers. But if you insist on software, using CarPlay’s, or letting me switch between CarPlay and the system software, is a better use case because it doesn’t stick me into a Rivian silo where I can’t use my recent POIs from my searches, texts, emails, etc. 
    edited July 22 williamlondonentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,007member
    eriamjh said:

Neither does Car Play.   

CarPlay has been in cars for a decade, very successfully, too, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. CarPlay did not come out of Project Titan, it was a means of spreading the iPhone ecosystem into the automobile, thus bolstering iPhone sales, which are the lifeblood of Apple, by making the iPhone an even more indispensable device on a day-to-day basis. 

Some carmakers, GM most notably, have recently abandoned (or never supported) both CarPlay and Android Auto in favor of their own systems, but we'll see how that goes. They are looking to do two things: get you to subscribe to their convenience features and collect your data to sell to the highest bidder. GM has already been caught collecting data on how individual drivers operate their cars--speeds, stopping distances, g forces when turning, etc, then selling that data to insurance companies, which then surprise those drivers with MUCH higher insurance premiums. Yeah, it's a lovely system! Personally, if a car doesn't have CarPlay, I won't even consider it for purchase. That's a total dealbreaker. 

When you say CarPlay doesn't have mapping abilities, what do you mean? Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze all run in CarPlay, with real-time traffic info from users determining the routing that you're given. In areas without traffic problems, it will simply route you via the most direct route, with some user ability to control the route via settings. You must be using an ancient version of iOS because Apple killed iTunes back in 2019. 
    VictorMortimerentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,896member
    All the more reason for Apple to buy Rivian. 
    VictorMortimerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 81member

I-Pace? I do like the balance. It does help that the car has normal controls and instrument display. I'll never consider a Tesla for that reason. The driver was an afterthought.
    VictorMortimerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,631member
    macxpress said:
    All the more reason for Apple to buy Rivian. 
    Didn’t Volkswagen just commit to investing 1 billion into Rivian? 

The market will decide who the winners and losers are in the quest to dominate the dashboard. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,281member
    I have an Alpine deck in my 2013 Tacoma. It's very easy to change between CarPlay and the other car features the Alpine deck has configured. This deck doesn't control much of my Tacoma but there really isn't that much Toyota would even allow you to control. I can monitor my tires air pressure along with a few other things. If my Tacoma was an EV (not going to happen) I'd definitely want to have control of as much of the truck as possible and would insist on Toyota having a simple button/icon to go to CarPlay (that's also not going to happen). Sometimes you just have to evaluate the entire vehicle's capabilities before choosing what you want to buy. Of course, I could always add a secondary CarPlay deck (or build my own using an iPad or use a dask kit from https://soundman.co/) and disable all of the infotainment features the vehicle has. We always have options.
    watto_cobra