Rivian adds Apple Music, but won't consider CarPlay

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,647member
    I think a lot of automakers are struggling to provide differentiation in the vehicles they sell. So many new vehicles are virtually indistinguishable and only come in four colors. They want to use the dashboard to separate their vehicles from the competition now that the cup holder war has settled down.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    GillisGillis Posts: 4member
    But Rivian know about CarPlay next generation ???

no car system can rivalise with mirroring our phone .

Im a Chevy bolt user and was on the market to buy a blazer and an equinox .

No CarPlay mean for me I don’t buy those cars.

I put my money on the Volvo Ex30 which they will offer CarPlay and the ceo of Volvo said it’s a mistake to not offer CarPlay and I agree 
    VictorMortimerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    GillisGillis Posts: 4member
    rob53 said:
    If my Tacoma was an EV (not going to happen) 
    😂😂😂
    ho yes it will happen , the era of gas car is at the end 
    VictorMortimer
  • Reply 24 of 34
    eriamjh said:
    I have Carplay in the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV.   Now, the Bolt doesn't have any mapping abilities or charge and route planning.

Neither does Car Play.   

All it has is Maps, for navigation, which I use... sometimes.   If I play music, it's either iTunes or Youtube Music.  And those don't really require anything on the screen.   

Apple wants OEMs to adapt Carplay as an easy way to slap an interface on their cars instead of developing expensive interfaces in-house.   Instead, the OEMs mostly do a half-ass job and no one notices how bad they are because most don't care.

Car Play came out of the dead Apple EV.   And it probably won't get very far either.
    CarPlay has been around since 2015, and it's supported by 800+ car models. I would say it's doing quite well.
    And it'll work on any car now.

I added a screen to my car to get it.  I had the option of replacing the original system with a newer one that has CarPlay, but decided MORE SCREENS was a better idea for me, both because it was cheaper (3rd party CarPlay display was only about $100) and... MORE SCREENS. 

I suppose that's an option for Rivian or Turdla too.

I do like the idea of CarPlay 2 where it takes over all the OEM screens, because car companies are terrible at UI design.  And I'm hoping there will be 3rd party CarPlay 2 options, I will absolutely replace my gauge cluster (2 small screens and an infuriating analog speedo) with a CarPlay compatible 3rd party gauge cluster screen.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    xyzzy01 said:
    twolf2919 said:
    TimJobs said:
    They do get it. They don’t want to use apples proprietary software when trying to have you navigate the functions of the car. Why do you think Tesla hasn’t enabled android or CarPlay? Because these companies are putting the entire settings into the screen

These dudes still just don’t get it. I don’t want to use their coming-along infotainment systems. I don’t want to use a Rivian mapping app. I want to use the polished one I already use every day, that is feature-rich, and integrates with my devices and events. 

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

You seem like you've never used CarPlay or Android Auto.  What "functions of the car" do you think CarPlay controls?  I'll tell you - none.   It's a pure money grab by these executives.  They want you tied to their infotainment stack so you can, at some point, pony up for services you already get on your smartphone.
    To be fair, for EVs deep integration into maps can be useful. You can add charging stations to your route based on need and even preheat the battery (if needed) before you arrive for optimal charging speed.

But at least on my Jaguar, access to the native apps is just a click away inside Carplay.
    The deep integration into mapping won't be relevant for that much longer.  As more gas stations get replaced with charging stations over the next decade or so, it's not really going to matter, you'll be able to charge at every exit.

(No, I don't think there will be direct replacements, I expect gas stations to just close as there's less demand, some of them will live on as convenience stores, but I expect that in about 20 years it'll be the ICE cars that need route planning.)
  • Reply 26 of 34
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,464member
    I remember articles and discussions about opening up iOS to third-party App Stores and integrating RCS messaging. Most lean towards keeping iOS unchanged, suggesting users switch to Android or create their own phone and ecosystem. We could say the same about this topic. For those who wants CarPlay or Android Auto, the solution appears straightforward: opt for an EV from VW or Porsche, or any other brand that supports CarPlay, or build your own car.   :D  Neither Rivian nor Tesla is obligated to provide cars with CarPlay or Android Auto. You don't like it?  Get another EV.  I have seen many cars from both brandes on the road, so maybe they are doing something right.  
    edited July 23 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 34
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 81member
    dewme said:
    I think a lot of automakers are struggling to provide differentiation in the vehicles they sell. So many new vehicles are virtually indistinguishable and only come in four colors. They want to use the dashboard to separate their vehicles from the competition now that the cup holder war has settled down.
    It is also part of the overall shift of everyone making "durable products", meaning the only income is from the device sale itself to something with recurring revenue. BMW is trying to charge a monthly fee to subscribe to activating hardware features (like heated seats!). Also in the long run, they see the driver as a new passenger who will consume media while being driven around. They are jockeying for control of the delivery (and income) of the content. giving up control of the screen means losing that battle before it has started.

entropysdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    XedXed Posts: 2,800member
    rcomeau said:
    dewme said:
    It is also part of the overall shift of everyone making "durable products", meaning the only income is from the device sale itself to something with recurring revenue. BMW is trying to charge a monthly fee to subscribe to activating hardware features (like heated seats!). Also in the long run, they see the driver as a new passenger who will consume media while being driven around. They are jockeying for control of the delivery (and income) of the content. giving up control of the screen means losing that battle before it has started.
    I can't wait until we're forced to watch an ad before we're allowed to enable the AC in the car.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I’m just an average guy. Not too smart, not too dumb. That explanation doesn’t make any sense. Even though it sounds like it’s supposed to make sense.

I’m representative of the kind of people that he has to make the case to. I’m not convinced. And I’m not buying a Rivian either. I want something with CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34

"We have a great relationship with Apple," Scaringe told The Verge, "[but] imagine Apple was developing a Mac, and there was someone that had a software application -- let's maybe call it Windows -- and they said, 'We have a turnkey platform that everybody knows how to use,' would they have put that in their car?"

Apple literally developed Bootcamp so that people could install Windows on Macs.
    Apple literally put together hypervisor APIs for their in-house silicon so that other operating systems can be run.

What a plonker.
    Xedentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    Gillis said:
    rob53 said:
    If my Tacoma was an EV (not going to happen) 
    ߘⰟ肰
    ho yes it will happen , the era of gas car is at the end 
    Where I live, the outback, that would actually be dangerous, potentially life threatening. No one drives city cars. Horses for courses.
    edited July 24 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member

"We have a great relationship with Apple," Scaringe told The Verge, "[but] imagine Apple was developing a Mac, and there was someone that had a software application -- let's maybe call it Windows -- and they said, 'We have a turnkey platform that everybody knows how to use,' would they have put that in their car?"

Apple literally developed Bootcamp so that people could install Windows on Macs.
    Apple literally put together hypervisor APIs for their in-house silicon so that other operating systems can be run.

What a plonker.
    Also, macOS existed long before windows.

just like CarPlay/android auto existed long before whatever rivian is coming up with.  No, this is about trying to find ways to monetise the infotainment system.
    edited July 24 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 34
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 140member
    I've listened to the podcast; it's good and CarPlay is just 5 min of the one hour interview. I'm coming from the perspective (as it was framed) of CarPlay as we know it. Many of the comments here seem to consider the full-UI replacement CarPlay that's also available, but not mandatory. I get why a manufacturer wouldn't want this.

The idea of shunning CarPlay is ultimately tone deaf and to some extent hubris. It suggests that the car is a more important focal point of your life than your phone. It's not. My phone/iCloud is the hub of everything and try as you may to replace bits of it (adding Apple Music, some parts of Messages), my phone is effective because they are all thought-out components that work together perfectly, not modular vendor-neutral parking spots in another UI. I also have the option to use any CarPlay app, so if I prefer Overcast to Podcasts, I'm covered. In a Rivian, I'm not.

When I get in my car, I want the experience I have at my desk, in my living room, brought into my car for complete consistency. I don't give a rat's ass about the car manufacturer's design language and I'll gladly press an extra button to heat my seats to have that (the argument RJ makes for controlling UI).

This difference will become immensely larger when the promise of Apple Intelligence is delivered. Siri is helpful now, but if I can chain together a series of commands in while driving that understand my personal context, no car will match that experience.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,647member
    rcomeau said:
    dewme said:

All good points. I still remember the eruption of 4-letter acronyms that ended with "As a Service" a while back. Truth be told, much of what was described in speculative terms back then has come to fruition. We now have heated seats as a service. It's not only durable goods that are transitioning to "as a service" either. It's also consumables like food, drink, supplements, drugs, clothing (CaaS), etc. 

Between "everything as a service" and "subscription based consumption" we will soon be to the point where newly born children will be referred to as "new subscribers" and will be issued a universally unique subscriber ID that will stay with them throughout their "active subscriber" period, i.e., time on earth, which will terminate at the point when their subscription is "expired."  This will probably make dealing with things like inheritance, wills, and probate much easier. When your subscription expires there's nothing left to fight over, it all just disappears or is recycled to serve active subscribers.
    watto_cobra