Epic's Tim Sweeney ludicrously calls Apple's 'Find My' a privacy hazard for thieves

Posted:
in iOS edited July 31

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, has made an incredibly bad leap of logic and lambasted Apple for how its Find My service located his stolen MacBook, and violated the privacy of the thief.

Fortnite played on a MacBook Pro equipped with a Vega 20 GPU
Fortnite played on a MacBook Pro. Not Sweeney's

You've got to really want it if you're going to find something bad about Find My and especially when it's just worked for you. Unfortunately, Tim Sweeney really wants it.

This is the man who intentionally flouted App Store rules so that Apple would remove Fortnite, then claimed this was a shocking surprise. He then boasted that he'd planned it all for months.

That escalated into a marathon court case -- which Epic Games lost.

If you hate Apple, you've apparently got to fill your days somehow. So now Tim Sweeney has lambasted Apple for its "super creepy surveillance" when Find My found his stolen laptop for him.

Responding a news post on Tuesday from our friends at 9to5Mac about Find My not working in South Korea that we covered last week, Sweeney laid out his bizarre thoughts for all to see.

This feature is super creepy surveillance tech and shouldn't exist. Years ago, a kid stole a Mac laptop out of my car. Years later, I was checking out Find My and it showed a map with the house where the kid who stole my Mac lived. WTF Apple? How is that okay?!

-- Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic)

You know you should just walk away after reading this, but there are so many head-scratchers here. Questions such as why Sweeney presumably didn't use Find My when the MacBook was originally lost. And, you know, use it for what it's intended for and provide that to the police.

Then there's the absolutely baffling leap of logic that the thief somehow deserves their privacy and anonymity after felony theft.

Also, it doesn't sound as if Sweeney, traumatized by this Find My notification, has now either confronted the thief directly or even just gone to the police. It sounds as if he decided to be a mensch and let the thief keep the MacBook.

Hey, it's his computer, he can do what he likes with it. AppleInsider would never recommend confronting a thief directly with Find My information, but presumably with his influence and money he can get the police to help, since that's what they're for.

Plus, gratifyingly, after posting all of this "WTF Apple?" nonsense on Twitter, the thread that resulted is chiefly people saying "So?" They point out that Find My isn't surveillance of the thief, it's a tracker for his computer.

"A lot of people are saying this here," responded Sweeney in what looked for a moment like he was going to be persuaded. But of course he wasn't.

"While technically true, it misses the point," he insisted. "You can't track the location of a device that's in someone's possession without tracking that person, and people have a right to privacy."

"This right applies to second hand device buyers and even to thieves," he continued -- which it does not. US courts have upheld the use of device tracking as not a violation of any right to privacy for thieves for years.

You can absolutely track the location of a device without tracking the person. Otherwise we'd all be out of luck the next time we leave our iPad behind by accident.

Sweeney is brilliant, there's no question. Under his leadership, Epic Games has grown into a juggernaut and published some of the best and most financially successful games ever released. If he were an idiot, that wouldn't be possible.

But, this take defies reason, is an incredibly bad leap of logic, flies in the facts of established precedent, and a nonsensical point of view. It's like he was looking for something about Apple to complain about, when he's probably already got enough.

It's not clear if he's taken it the next step and granted that thief the anonymity that he so craves, though, and removed it from his iCloud remotely. It's also unclear if he feels the same way about Google's or Samsung's similar technologies -- but he doesn't appear to hate either of those companies as much, so probably not.

Tim, if you're reading this, it's not too late to delete the post.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Man's a dick.
    mike1iOS_Guy80lotoneswilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    He is a jerk.

mike1iOS_Guy80williamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    omasouomasou Posts: 610member
    Why do we keep giving this idiot news shelf space.
    mike1iOS_Guy80williamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,775member
    Man's a dick.
    Probably, but this leans more (at best) to being completely ignorant about technology or (at worst) really liking the idea that a criminal can steal from Apple and there would be no way of getting caught.
    mike1killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,516member
    Huge endorsement for Apple that both Tim Sweeney and Elon musk hate them. 
    tmayp-doglotoneswilliamlondonjibkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,005member
    Clearly he is a wingnut and unfit to lead. 
    williamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    OK, follow by “Epic’s” app store, now, he want Epic Find My…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 136member

I live minutes away from Epic Games headquarters, which is in Cary, North Carolina. There's even an Epic employee who lives at the end of my street. I can tell you there is absolutely a reason why Tim Sweeney is known as the "dick of the Triangle". One of his recent stunts actually ruined the retail revitalization plans of Cary's largest mall. He swooped in and bought the entire property for $95 million and shut down the entire mall for his new headquarters. The town, its planners, and all the retail partners involved were blindsided by this. When the kids at the nearby Cary High School lament that they have one less hangout spot and one less food court to go to, yet pine to play Fortnite on their iPhones again, one can point out to them that the "dick of the Triangle" was responsible for both situations.

stompybadmonklotoneswilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,940member
    I must have missed the reports of his stroke. Either that or he's on some serious drugs.
    p-dog9secondkox2williamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    Follow the money. Look at who the biggest shareholder for Epic Games is (aside from Sweeney) and you'll realize who he's a mouthpiece for. Same goes for Musk and the biggest investors in his companies. No idea why people believe anything they have to say.
    stompybadmonklotoneskillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,985member
    Showing face in court or on the news for criminal activity is a privacy hazard too. 

If you stole my stuff, you deserve to be found. 

I deserve to know where my stuff is at all times. If you took my stuff, then you INVITED me to know where you took it, whether it’s your house, etc. 

sweeney is just proving himself to be the loon we’ve known he is. 

killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    humbug1873humbug1873 Posts: 154member
    Well, the thief is another person that tries to rip off somebody elses work (that actually payed for the device) for free. Makes sense that Sweaty also feels with that carpet bagger.

kurai_kagewilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    lotoneslotones Posts: 89member
    Attention whore says what?

Next up: "Emergency SOS is super creepy surveillance tech that shouldn't exist."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,429moderator
    I must have missed the reports of his stroke. Either that or he's on some serious drugs.
    The more he's prolonging his lawsuit with Apple, the more he's been trying to manufacture complaints about Apple to convince people they are the bad guy. His mind is getting warped. Zuckerberg is to some extent too because they have a beef with closed platforms. He really needs to get over it, clear his head, figure out how to work with closed platforms and go back to his day job. At least people aren't letting him get away with spouting nonsense:

Good to know he uses a Mac though. That's how some software makes it to the Mac because the company CEO owns one and the whole company has to support it.
    lotonesmacxpresswilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
    epic.jpg 190.3K
  • Reply 15 of 21
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,095member
    So if Sweeney was is so concern about peoples privacy, which we all know he isn't, why did he sell 40% of his company to Tencent?

>Amnesty International gave Tencent a score of zero out of 100 for the company's treatment of data. Raising questions about the potential misuse of user information.<

Now, if Sweeney is still able to use "Find My" to locate his stolen Mac laptop, years after it was stolen, wouldn't that mean that the thief is using it? Why would it even be on, years after it was stolen (providing Sweeney was smart enough to wiped it clean and deactivate it)? Which would mean the thief would not be able to even install a new OS or replace the HD because the logic board is locked. Why would the thief even be turning it on and charging the battery, if the laptop should only be a paper weight by now? Was the thief a Fortnite fan and was buying a lot of Fortnite Bucks and thus leaving his laptop for the thief to use was paying off?

So if the thief is using it years after it was stolen, wouldn't that mean that they either guess the passcode or Sweeney wasn't smart enough to use one? So if he was using a passcode, was it something like ..... 123456? Now, the thief can't disable "Find My" on the device without knowing the iCloud account (and password), even if they know the passcode to the device. If this "genius" was so concern about the privacy of the the thief that stole his Mac, why don't he provide the thief with his iCloud account (Apple ID) and password, so "Find My" can be disabled and thus preventing him from being able to "invade" the privacy of the thief?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,538member
    Xed said:
    Man's a dick.
    Probably, but this leans more (at best) to being completely ignorant about technology or (at worst) really liking the idea that a criminal can steal from Apple and there would be no way of getting caught.
    Well, I'd hate to draw some kind of parallel between the kid who stole his MacBook, and Epic's business practices, but...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,538member
    davidw said:
    So if Sweeney was is so concern about peoples privacy, which we all know he isn't, why did he sell 40% of his company to Tencent?

>Amnesty International gave Tencent a score of zero out of 100 for the company's treatment of data. Raising questions about the potential misuse of user information.<

Now, if Sweeney is still able to use "Find My" to locate his stolen Mac laptop, years after it was stolen, wouldn't that mean that the thief is using it? Why would it even be on, years after it was stolen (providing Sweeney was smart enough to wiped it clean and deactivate it)? Which would mean the thief would not be able to even install a new OS or replace the HD because the logic board is locked. Why would the thief even be turning it on and charging the battery, if the laptop should only be a paper weight by now? Was the thief a Fortnite fan and was buying a lot of Fortnite Bucks and thus leaving his laptop for the thief to use was paying off?

So if the thief is using it years after it was stolen, wouldn't that mean that they either guess the passcode or Sweeney wasn't smart enough to use one? So if he was using a passcode, was it something like ..... 123456? Now, the thief can't disable "Find My" on the device without knowing the iCloud account (and password), even if they know the passcode to the device. If this "genius" was so concern about the privacy of the the thief that stole his Mac, why don't he provide the thief with his iCloud account (Apple ID) and password, so "Find My" can be disabled and thus preventing him from being able to "invade" the privacy of the thief?

More to the point, one can remove a device no longer in one's possession from "Find My" without requiring access to the device. So he could have removed it himself if he was so worried about the thief's privacy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,775member
    Marvin said:
     Zuckerberg is to some extent too because they have a beef with closed platforms.
    I don't think I've seen Facebook or Instagram's or Meta's source code on Github for anyone to use.  When that happens I might believing Mark means what he says.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 143member
    This has to be the most braindead take ever. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Is this man allowed out without a nurse ?
    watto_cobra