Apple brings back dark black for the iPhone 16 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2

A new leak claims to show dummy iPhone 16 Pro models in all their colors, which will now include a matte black option.

Three smartphones with triple rear cameras: one white, one black, and one gray. They are aligned side by side.
Claimed dummy models of the iPhone 16 Pro

Following the leak of colors and camera rearrangement for the iPhone 16 range, leaker Sonny Dickson has now released the same detail for the forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro.

A previous report claimed that Apple's iPhone 16 Pro -- and the iPhone 16 Pro Max -- will come in Space Black, White, Gray, and Rose. This new one shows only three versions, white, black and natural Titanium.

The existing iPhone 15 Pro range includes all three of these -- plus blue -- but from the leaked image, it appears that the iPhone 16 Pro will include a much darker matt black finish. It appears similar to the black used in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus back in 2016.

As far as can be seen from the image, the white iPhone 16 Pro appears to be the same shade or strength of color as the current version, and of course the natural titanium is.

Leaker Sonny Dickson does not make any comment about the image, and so does not claim that this is the complete lineup. It's still possible, therefore, that a fourth color will be available, and most recent rumors point to it being rose or pink.

Dickson has a reasonable record for accuracy. In March 2024, he showed what claimed to be proof that the iPhone 16 range would include a Capture button.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    It’s Matte not Matt 😉
    mike1stevenozdavgregyellowtonkatoy
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Ugg that is bad.  No blue or green.  Black, white and gray wow that is so lame. It seems like Apple is taking their cues from the automotive world which seems to despise colors.  
    elijahg
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,374member
    Ugg that is bad.  No blue or green.  Black, white and gray wow that is so lame. It seems like Apple is taking their cues from the automotive world which seems to despise colors.  

Two points.
    1. Apple has a pretty good idea of what colors/shades are most popular over the years and can deliver that.
    2. That said, I would bet that there will be another "more colorful" choice this year as there is every release.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,009member
    Sometimes I feel like Apple trolls its own marketing team with ridiculous assignments. This year's challenge: "Figure out how to market black as an 'all new' color." 
    nubusM68000
  • Reply 5 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,941member
    You’ve noticed that too? I have seen some of the most boring, grey and putty coloured cars in the last couple of years. A few brands still like colour, but many are just ugly. 

mike1 said:

Two points.
    1. Apple has a pretty good idea of what colors/shades are most popular over the years and can deliver that.
    2. That said, I would bet that there will be another "more colorful" choice this year as there is every release.
    Yes I’m sure they do. But they sure seems to shy away from colour on the Pro line. That said there was an article here yesterday that said there might be a bronze colour, which could be nice depending on the shade. But the Pro line seems to be very toned down, buttoned down, and businesslike. I’d love a nice purple, or maybe a dark metallic green.

I do find it funny. So many people will say they don’t care about the colour of the phone because they put it in a case anyway. Maybe they put them in a colourful case because the stock colours aren’t that great. 
    elijahgAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 27
    jonrojonro Posts: 66member
    The color is matte black, not matt black. Matt Black is probably the name of a secret agent in a Netflix spy movie.
    edited August 1 stevenoz
  • Reply 7 of 27
    M68000M68000 Posts: 828member
    Yeah,  the colors are plain but not too bad.  Looks better that the other article for the base 16
    models.  And yeah,  many of us remember when cars had vibrant colors and sheen, speckles, pinstripes, etc.   That said, there are a handful of vehicles today that have some interesting colors.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,053member
    I’m still hoping Rose will be a 16 Pro Max choice. I prefer Gold products.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,009member
    It’s Matte not Matt 😉
    No, it's Matt. Matt's the old maintenance guy in Cupertino who wandered into the "color meeting" for this year's Pro to empty the wastebaskets, then pulled out his old jet black iPhone 7 and said, "Why don't we just make this color again?" So they're calling it Matt Black. 
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahgnubusDAalsethbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 27
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,814member
    mike1 said:

Two points.
    If they only ever offer black or white on the pro phones, how do they know if other shades are popular? If dull shades are most popular, why does Apple sell non-pro iPhones in bright colours? I see more colourful non-pro iPhones than I do black or white.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    M68000M68000 Posts: 828member
    I’m still hoping Rose will be a 16 Pro Max choice. I prefer Gold products.
    Yeah,  they should keep a gold flavor every year.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    56Oval56Oval Posts: 2member
    It’s Matte not Matt 😉

William is British, where the spelling of matte is different than in the US.   The correct spelling is "matt" in this case.
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 13 of 27
    56Oval56Oval Posts: 2member
    jonro said:
    The color is matte black, not matt black. Matt Black is probably the name of a secret agent in a Netflix spy movie.
    1) William is British.
    2) The British spell matt without an 'e.'

Therefore William has spelled matt correctly.

edited August 1 appleinsideruser
  • Reply 14 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,049member
    mike1 said:

Two points.
    You forgot point three. 
    3. You can easily dress up the iPhone in any color you want by simply putting it in a case. 
  • Reply 15 of 27
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 317member
    It’s Matte not Matt 😉

It's matte, not Matte.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    It’s Matte not Matt 😉
    Spelling is optional these days, even on traditional media company websites.
    VictorMortimer
  • Reply 17 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member

56Oval said:
    jonro said:
    1) William is British.
    2) The British spell matt without an 'e.'

Therefore William has spelled matt correctly.

Not if it is an American website. 
    The US uses American Standard English , not what the Brits use.
    timpetusVictorMortimer
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Genius marketing. Apple wrote the book on product colours back in the 90’s. It’s amazing the cliche still works so effectively when smartphones and their screens are far too pricey and fragile to not have a case.
    VictorMortimer
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Surprised nobody noted (unless I missed it when scanning the comments) the lack of an Apple logo in these images...

Re: colors, if you're talking about pigment black is technically all the color you can have, and if you're talking about light white is the same, so Apple covered their bases here ;-)
  • Reply 20 of 27
    It’s Matte not Matt 😉
    Hey now, Matt Black is a nice guy.