New Apple "Rotary" Mouse!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I don't know about any of you guys, but I think this is certainly a great idea. Leave it to Apple to come up with a clever way of solving a problem... I think a dial/rotary disk would be pretty cool.

Check it out:

Apple Dial-Mouse.

--

Ed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Would it work on a PowerBook (the concept)?
  • Reply 2 of 88
    Although clevar, I think this is just another of those Apple "lets get this patent" stories. They just like collecting these things until they have a chance to use them.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    ed m.ed m. Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Although clevar, I think this is just another of those Apple "lets buy a patent" stories. They just like collecting these things until they have a chance to use them.

Incorrect. It's only an application for a patent and it was filed by *Apple*. Not other patent was purchased.

--

Ed
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ed M.

Incorrect. It's only an application for a patent and it was filed by *Apple*. Not other patent was purchased.

--

Ed

You know what I mean. Lets not bicker of semantics. (twit)

I fully understand they didn't buy this from somebody else. But getting a patent isn't free (double duh) and so I was saying 'buying' it in that sense.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    ed m.ed m. Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

You know what I mean. Lets not bicker of semantics. (twit)

I fully understand they didn't buy this from somebody else. But getting a patent isn't free (double duh) and so I was saying 'buying' it in that sense.

Well, if that were true, even in the slightest, then it would imply that *all* patents were *bought* (big duh!) I'm not sure where you are going with this, nor do I understand you apparent negative tone. I was simply hoping for opinions and discussion. The fact is that no matter who, what, when, how or otherwise, the patent application came to be, it's pretty much academic at this point.

--

Ed
  • Reply 6 of 88
    GOD! You two! SHUT UP! Ed. M, his aim wasn't to be negative - and I agree that it was probably just *obtained* for the purposes of later use - if they find one ... I mean, where have we seen the product that had the glowing fiberoptics.... color changing iMac *rolls eyes*

As for the mouse... I can't exactly see how it would be more useful... scroll wheel is the most ergo way to go. lol, I saw one of the magazine ads for the 1984 Macintosh... lol, for the mouse they said that they take simplicity one step further by only having one button so that you dont have too many to get confused by or accidently click. LOL!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Ed M.

Where I am going with this is to say that this is just another patent in Apple's vast collection of weird and interesting patents. And AS such it doesn't NEED more 'opinions and discussion'. However since you seem to think so, I guess it's meant to be.

Apple files patents pretty frequently and more often then not they are for thing we have not/will not ever see. However they can later be used as bartering chips (or outright sale) to someone else who would like to produce a rotary mouse. I think there is very little dicussion to be made here.

My negative tone is from being correct for such a small matter as putting 'Apple buys" intead of "Apple files". The end result as you can see is that now I have had to post followups twice. (something I don't usually bother to do). I don't see anybody else posting that I was mistaken or confused so perhaps you can lay off. (Much thanks)

-NUM
  • Reply 8 of 88
    headyheady Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

As for the mouse... I can't exactly see how it would be more useful... scroll wheel is the most ergo way to go.

The dial allows you to scroll continuously, whereas the scroll wheel forces you to frequently lift your finger and put it back on the wheel. That's a significant ergonomic advantage to me.

-Heady
  • Reply 9 of 88
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Heady

The dial allows you to scroll continuously, whereas the scroll wheel forces you to frequently lift your finger and put it back on the wheel. That's a significant ergonomic advantage to me.

-Heady

Hmmm does this mean it's analog? More pressure would scroll faster...less would scroll slower. Sweeeeet!!!!

Apple could also code QuickTime, DVD Player and iTunes so that they can fast-forward or rewind through QuickTime movies or DVDs or MP3s at different rates.

I can see some games take advantage of this too.
  • Reply 10 of 88
  • Reply 11 of 88
    headyheady Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Hmmm does this mean it's analog? More pressure would scroll faster...less would scroll slower. Sweeeeet!!!!

Apple could also code QuickTime, DVD Player and iTunes so that they can fast-forward or rewind through QuickTime movies or DVDs or MP3s at different rates.

I haven't read through the entire patent application, but the way I understand it, you just rotate the dial to scroll, you don't actually press it. Pressing it produces a different action, which ought to be the equivalent of right-clicking. So I don't think the dial is pressure-sensitive.

-Heady
  • Reply 12 of 88
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    I'm not a fan of the scroll wheel. It has a low resolution and only has one axes.

A scroll button where when pressed the movement of the mouse/trackball would be far better. Two axes, a far higher resolution, and far more control.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Heady

I haven't read through the entire patent application, but the way I understand it, you just rotate the dial to scroll, you don't actually press it. Pressing it produces a different action, which ought to be the equivalent of right-clicking. So I don't think the dial is pressure-sensitive.

-Heady

It says that you manipulate the disk from side to side for horizontal scrolling and forward to backward for vertical scrolling - therefore it seems that the disk does not rotate as you have described.

It sounds like a moused-up version of IBM's track-point. Damn good idea if you ask me because you can scroll in both directions, something you can't do with the scroll wheel. Oh, and one more thing... you get a second mouse button.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

It says that you manipulate the disk from side to side for horizontal scrolling and forward to backward for vertical scrolling - therefore it seems that the disk does not rotate as you have described.

It sounds like a moused-up version of IBM's track-point. Damn good idea if you ask me because you can scroll in both directions, something you can't do with the scroll wheel. Oh, and one more thing... you get a second mouse button.

That's the way I understood it too. It would act like an analog trackpoint but be used for scrolling instead of cursor movement and allow pressure sensitivity to control the scrolling speed.

If the thing is actually a iPod-like dial, I'd be very disappointed. How would you scroll both horizontally and vertically at the same time? How would the dial know when to scroll horizontally or vertically. How would this whole thing be any different than a scroll wheel?

edit: wow...it's actually an iPod-style dial. This mouse sucks. Thank god Apple hasn't released such a mouse...I think it would fail miserably.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    my primary issue with it would be (Just going by the picture in that article) that with the scroll disk/2nd button/etc. right in the middle, it would be in the way of my promary (left) click. When I use my mouse (1 button) my index finger rests roughly along the middle axis of the mouse. If I'm using a 2 button, my index finger rests on the left tbutton and my middle finger on the right button, with my index finger going after the scroll wheel when I need it. Having the "right" click in the middle seems like a bad idea since it makes "left" clicking rather awkward (or so it would seem)

Anyway, yeah, that's my take. I haven't quite figured out exactly how the scroll disk thing would work, but whatever. The likelyhood is that it will be a long time (if ever) before we see this, and if we do, I trust Apple to get it right.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    If you look at the picture, the scroll disk / button is positioned slightly to the right:

But then again, as this picture is just a quick sketch from Apple to visualize their idea this may mean nothing.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

If you look at the picture, the scroll disk / button is positioned slightly to the right:

But then again, as this picture is just a quick sketch from Apple to visualize their idea this may mean nothing.

actually, you're wrong. you need a refresher in 3D visualization. that mouse isn't flat. it exists in 3D space. looking at the mouse from a 3D perspective, the center line would curve along the top, placing the dial in the center.

i'd redo the sketch to show you, but, well... i've got better things to do.

but, yeah, you are right. the sketch doesn't mean a whole lot.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    pojopojo Posts: 1member
    Silly feature, if you need to scroll large areas or what ever most current mice support that feature already. Simply lick on the wheel then you can use the mouse to move in any direction at any speed. At least thats how it works on windows xp boxes.

Just tried using one of my fingers to go in a small circle, it hurts this is a dumb idea.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

actually, you're wrong. you need a refresher in 3D visualization. that mouse isn't flat. it exists in 3D space.

Oh, really? Are you sure it isn't flat?
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pojo

Simply lick on the wheel then you can use the mouse to move in any direction at any speed.

All that does is duplicate the actions of the scrollbar. The whole idea of scroll wheels is to give a single finger shortcut to an action that usually requires moving your entire hand. The feature you've just mentioned defeats the entire purpose of a scrollwheel.

A rotary mouse wheel would provide infinite scrolling with a single digit gesture. No other design could accomplish that.