J.D. Vance shouldn't open his mouth about Apple if he doesn't have a clue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,663member
    What a beautiful situation; thanks for that video! 

I love that the Jewish Space Lasers lady went at Loomer for "racism".
    ronn12StrangersgatorguybaconstangsconosciutoVictorMortimerAlex_V
  • Reply 22 of 105
    spheric said:

Who the fuck cares what bullshit JD Vance spouts...
    Vance could be 1 heartbeat away from the presidency, behind the oldest president the country has ever had (who doesn't appear all that healthy). 

Unfortunately I think all Americans have to care.
    12StrangersbaconstangronnblastdoorilarynxmacguiBart YAlex_V
  • Reply 23 of 105
    spheric said:
    What a beautiful situation; thanks for that video! 

I love that the Jewish Space Lasers lady went at Loomer for "racism".
    I remember back about 20 years ago VH1 had a show where different comedians discussed news events of the week. One of the stories was about how Slash tried to help Charlie Sheen by telling him he was doing too many drugs. The comedian’s response was “If Slash is telling you you are doing too many drugs, YOU ARE DOING TOO MANY DRUGS!”.
    gatorguysphericronnroundaboutnowBart YMrBunside
  • Reply 24 of 105
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    Unfortunately, the US has gone off the rails with regards to foreign policy, and technology related foreign policy is an important part of that. Along with agriculture which is also in line for a BRICS related shock.

Both main parties have little to no clue about the intricacies of the technology world and I am yet to see anyone with a coherent stance on policy decisions. It's just doubling down on more of the same. 

You would have thought the tariffs ideology would have been abandoned after the billions that had to be ploughed into US agriculture under Trump but here we are with Chinese EV tariffs. 

It's all very 'old school' and causing a huge amount of self harm to US interests at home (and abroad). 

A certain independence for semi-conductor production and associated subsidies to make that happen are common goals around the world. The EU has been following a similar goal for years now. So is China. 

However, TSMC made it clear from the outset that chips manufactured on US soil would cost a lot more than the same chips produced elsewhere. That's assuming qualified staff can be found to get the plants up and running. There is no way that any iPhone produced on US soil will be competitive and imposing import tariffs will just slow down the industry as a whole. 

Apple can only do so much. No doubt there have been abuses along the way but you implement protocols to weed out problem cases within the sourcing, refining, manufacturing and assembly industries. You audit and present the results. That is how it is.

Meh, TSMC is in the U.S. for National Security reasons (threat to Taiwan), and whatever production occurs will be utilized by U.S. based businesses, especially those related to Defense, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, and RTX (Raytheon) being notable examples. Apple won't be required to use TSMC fabs in Arizona, but might anyway. The CHIPs Act was more generally to bring back semiconductor manufacturing back to the U.S., and that will also encompass legacy nodes that were an issue for auto manufacturing during COVID.

It's interesting that you even acknowledge that China has or had a problem with slave labor, given that I recall that you are firmly in the PRC camp that there has been no abuse of Uyghur minorities in the China, ignoring plentiful evidence of that abuse.

Meanwhile, Germany and Spain are keen to tone down proposed tariffs for EV's originating from China;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-09-11/chinese-evs-germany-lines-up-with-spain-against-eu-tariffs 

Given that so much of Germany's export economy is vehicles, it makes imminent sense to leave the door open for China to roll over the EU's nascent EV industry. Probably won't work out politically for Scholz, or Sanchez, in the long run, but the EU really wants trade with China, even with growing deficits.
    JanNLglobby
  • Reply 25 of 105
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,654member
    lotones said:
    spheric said:
    In other news, immigrants in Springfield steal and eat others' dogs and eat them. 

Who the fuck cares what bullshit JD Vance spouts, unless it's subsequently picked up by Tr*mp to utterly embarrass himself to a worldwide audience? 
    ssfe11 said:
    Clueless idiot. Oh and btw Springfield do you know that your pets are getting eaten?  Fido is being roasted up right now. Smh you can’t even make this stuff up!
    As someone born and raised in Springfield, Ohio, one of the best things about my hometown was being able to grab someone's dog for lunch on the way to school.

Good times...   :D
    I have a friend who was born and raised in Springfield, OH. In addition to the tasty pet du jour I also heard that the practice of throwing a couple of hamsters or gerbils into your lunch box was also a common practice there, you know, just in case you needed a quick snack to tide you over before lunch or later in the afternoon. 

Seriously though, Vance will say and do anything to keep his owner happy. Run, fetch, roll over, shake paw, and even snuggle up for some quality time on the sofa.
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangssfe11jeffharrisapple4thewin
  • Reply 26 of 105
    TFG always had a knack for finding 'the best' talent, many of whom are residing in federal 'housing'.  But he really outdid himself with JD!
    jeffharrisronnsconosciutoMrBunside
  • Reply 27 of 105
    spheric said:

Who the fuck cares what bullshit JD Vance spouts...
    Vance could be 1 heartbeat away from the presidency, behind the oldest president the country has ever had (who doesn't appear all that healthy). 

Unfortunately I think all Americans have to care.
    As long as there is a serious chance of Tr*mp moving back into the White House (how the FUCK this is even a possibility is utterly bewildering to me), anything Vance does or says is comparatively irrelevant. 
    thtgatorguyssfe11dewmejeffharrisdjames4242sconosciutoBart YMrBunsideAlex_V
  • Reply 28 of 105
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Unfortunately, the US has gone off the rails with regards to foreign policy, and technology related foreign policy is an important part of that. Along with agriculture which is also in line for a BRICS related shock.

Both main parties have little to no clue about the intricacies of the technology world and I am yet to see anyone with a coherent stance on policy decisions. It's just doubling down on more of the same. 

You would have thought the tariffs ideology would have been abandoned after the billions that had to be ploughed into US agriculture under Trump but here we are with Chinese EV tariffs. 

It's all very 'old school' and causing a huge amount of self harm to US interests at home (and abroad). 

A certain independence for semi-conductor production and associated subsidies to make that happen are common goals around the world. The EU has been following a similar goal for years now. So is China. 

However, TSMC made it clear from the outset that chips manufactured on US soil would cost a lot more than the same chips produced elsewhere. That's assuming qualified staff can be found to get the plants up and running. There is no way that any iPhone produced on US soil will be competitive and imposing import tariffs will just slow down the industry as a whole. 

Apple can only do so much. No doubt there have been abuses along the way but you implement protocols to weed out problem cases within the sourcing, refining, manufacturing and assembly industries. You audit and present the results. That is how it is.

Meh, TSMC is in the U.S. for National Security reasons (threat to Taiwan), and whatever production occurs will be utilized by U.S. based businesses, especially those related to Defense, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, and RTX (Raytheon) being notable examples. Apple won't be required to use TSMC fabs in Arizona, but might anyway. The CHIPs Act was more generally to bring back semiconductor manufacturing back to the U.S., and that will also encompass legacy nodes that were an issue for auto manufacturing during COVID.

It's interesting that you even acknowledge that China has or had a problem with slave labor, given that I recall that you are firmly in the PRC camp that there has been no abuse of Uyghur minorities in the China, ignoring plentiful evidence of that abuse.

Meanwhile, Germany and Spain are keen to tone down proposed tariffs for EV's originating from China;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-09-11/chinese-evs-germany-lines-up-with-spain-against-eu-tariffs 

Given that so much of Germany's export economy is vehicles, it makes imminent sense to leave the door open for China to roll over the EU's nascent EV industry. Probably won't work out politically for Scholz, or Sanchez, in the long run, but the EU really wants trade with China, even with growing deficits.
    Apple's supply chains (like everybody else's) span the world. I didn't acknowledge anything uniquely to China. 

It's just that you want to believe that I did. 

Slave labor can be found the world over. 

It is invisible until it is discovered. Periodically, cases spring up in Spain. No doubt there are cases within the US too. 

baconstangBart Y
  • Reply 29 of 105
    ssfe11 said:
    Clueless idiot. Oh and btw Springfield do you know that your pets are getting eaten?  Fido is being roasted up right now. Smh you can’t even make this stuff up!
    You do realize that body cam footage has been leaked online, right?  
    9secondkox2anomeargonaut
  • Reply 30 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    gatorguy said:
    It's a sad reflection on the fear-mongering negativity one side is using. Personally, I'm a huge fan of lifting us all up instead.

Above all: Don't believe whatever comes out of the mouth of a selfishly-guided politician just because he said it. Most are all too happy to promote half-truths, mostly lie, or outright lie in order to "win". I'm sorry, but it is no win for us to be misled, and only find out what we were buying after he's already in office; telling us what we can and can't do without being asked again. They don't care if we agreed. They will be the ones in the power chair and will tell us, dictator style, not ask. 
    Agreed.  Yep, he should focus on aliens eating cats and dogs and Governors executing live babies; you know, real news that's fact-checked. /s
    baconstangdewmeVictorMortimerspherictmay13485
  • Reply 31 of 105

lotones said:
    As someone born and raised in Springfield, Ohio, one of the best things about my hometown was being able to grab someone's dog for lunch on the way to school.

Good times...   :D
    I'm jealous.
    ROFL... Hot Dogs no doubt.
    edited September 12
  • Reply 32 of 105
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    It's a sad reflection on the fear-mongering negativity one side is using. Personally, I'm a huge fan of lifting us all up instead.

Above all: Don't believe whatever comes out of the mouth of a selfishly-guided politician just because he said it. Most are all too happy to promote half-truths, mostly lie, or outright lie in order to "win". I'm sorry, but it is no win for us to be misled, and only find out what we were buying after he's already in office; telling us what we can and can't do without being asked again. They don't care if we agreed. They will be the ones in the power chair and will tell us, dictator style, not ask. 
    Agreed.  Yep, he should focus on aliens eating cats and dogs and Governors executing live babies; you know, real news that's fact-checked. /s
    And a few minutes ago, I believe Mr. Trump announced he will do no more debates, not even in the friendly confines of Fox News with Fox moderators. Probably for the best. 
    edited September 12 ronnbaconstangdewmesconosciutoargonautBart Y
  • Reply 33 of 105

gatorguy said:
    spheric said:
    In other news, immigrants in Springfield steal and eat others' dogs and eat them. 

Who the fuck cares what bullshit JD Vance spouts, unless it's subsequently picked up by Tr*mp to utterly embarrass himself to a worldwide audience? 
    What would be humorous if it weren't so childish is a hardcore dedicated-MAGA fight over that dog-eating story fed to Mr. Trump. Now they're fighting with each other.

It could be a new spectator sport!  They could be armed to the teeth, too.
  • Reply 34 of 105
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:

And a few minutes ago, I believe Mr. Trump announced he will do no more debates, not even in the friendly confines of Fox News with Fox moderators. Probably for the best. 
    Thanks for the update; I missed that.
    edited September 12
  • Reply 35 of 105
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:

In his Arizona rally about to take place, I'm waiting for him to say his announcement took courage.
    baconstangVictorMortimer9secondkox2
  • Reply 36 of 105
    ssfe11 said:
    You do realize that body cam footage has been leaked online, right?  
    Yep, there's body cam video; the earliest news sources of the story are from August 2024, and they're absolutely unanimous: the woman in question is an Ohio native, most certainly NOT an immigrant, and the incident did not happen in Springfield. 
    ronntmaybaconstangdewmeroundaboutnowsconosciutoVictorMortimerargonautapple4thewinBart Y
  • Reply 37 of 105
    ronnronn Posts: 675member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:

When you get your ass thoroughly whooped, you stay away from another beating.
    djames4242sconosciuto9secondkox2Bart Y
  • Reply 38 of 105
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:

In his Arizona rally about to take place, I'm waiting for him to say his announcement took courage.
    In the Linda Ronstadt arena, and she is furious!
    edited September 12 dewmesconosciutotmay
  • Reply 39 of 105
    Meanwhile, is apparently perfectly fine for Apple to do EU money laundering in Ireland?

Otherwise, who in the hell cares about these particular moronic American politicians. Far more compelling matters going on across the world than this kind of parochial rubbish.
    9secondkox2argonaut
  • Reply 40 of 105
    Maybe Springfield police need some Vision Pros (Visions Pro?) to protect their pets.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/24/09/11/orange-county-police-considering-apple-vision-pro-for-real-time-operations-center