September: Powerbook G4 and iBook Updates

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>There will be an eBook introduced below the iBook with the old G3 architecture, except it will have an external CD drive and be super thin, light, and cheap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As you can easily imagine, I would buy a thin, light and cheap eBook in a heartbeat. My fear is that the eBook (formerly executive 'Book, now presumably education 'Book) will always remain a rumor.

Escher
  • Reply 102 of 111
    Well obviously eMac doesn't mean education Mac anymore because it's sold to consumers. I like to think it stands for "everyone" as in everyone could afford and use it. The same would apply to a theoretical eBook. The earliest we'd see something like this though would be late next year once the economy has fully picked up.

I've actually been thinking about this product, and it would be remarkably easy to make it super sleek and light without using exotic materials or components. First, the battery would be a long cylindrical object and would be incorporated directly into the hinge for the screen; imagine 2 thin ring like hinges with the battery slid through them. Then you just have the mobo in the case, so it can be super thin without any fancy space saving stuff. Screen would be a 12.1" with the narrowest border possible. The external CD-R would be small and thin as possible too, and would double as the AC adaptor and connect to the computer via Firewire which would transmit both the power and the signal from the CD, saving more space and complication. Apple, i am currently unemployed...
  • Reply 103 of 111

<strong>This is what I think will happen. The iBook will be moved to a G4 sometime early next year and the price raised a little bit. The Powerbook will drop in price and gain DDR, 167mhz bus. There will be an eBook introduced below the iBook with the old G3 architecture, except it will have an external CD drive and be super thin, light, and cheap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd like this Powerbook next month please! October 1st is the first tuesday after the promos finish.

• Reply 104 of 111
    The Powerbook and iBook will probably get one more minor feature bump before moving to new designs w/ DDR RAM and possible G4 in the iBook. This bump will probably happen at the end of the Powerbook promo. The big update might coincide with the G4 move to 0.13 micron tech.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: hotboxd ]</p>
  • Reply 105 of 111
    No, the big bump will occur when the 90 nm G5 is dropped into the Powerbooks. 2 GHz of thigh-searing power, baby, YEAH!!!
  • Reply 106 of 111
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I am certain that we are going to get iBook updates in the next two weeks. I have just tried to order a 14.1 combo and was told that the supplier has 20 on back order and Apple UK cannot give a delivery date. This kind of response is usually a cast iron indicator of new products about to be launched.

I guess we need to know how much stock is in the US channel.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>I am certain that we are going to get iBook updates in the next two weeks. I have just tried to order a 14.1 combo and was told that the supplier has 20 on back order and Apple UK cannot give a delivery date. This kind of response is usually a cast iron indicator of new products about to be launched.

I guess we need to know how much stock is in the US channel.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Stock in the UK of 'books:

Dabs - 130 in 1-3 days

Macwarehouse - 33 PB800s, and oddly <a href="http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/product.asp?sku=E438353"; target="_blank">this strangeness</a>

Jigsaw - in stock, but no figures

CANCOM - in stock, BTO 3-4days

MacWarehouse is a big clue.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: Blackcat ]</p>
  • Reply 108 of 111
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well I called Computer Warehouse and they said Apple had no stock, do these other companies have them in their own stock?

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>
  • Reply 109 of 111
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>Well I called Computer Warehouse and they said Apple had no stock, do these other companies have them in their own stock?

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: Addison ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, some do, but all signs suggest waiting a few weeks is a good idea!
  • Reply 110 of 111

<strong>Well obviously eMac doesn't mean education Mac anymore because it's sold to consumers. I like to think it stands for "everyone" as in everyone could afford and use it. The same would apply to a theoretical eBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or you could say...

e = entry level

i = intermediate

p = professional

It seems to be heading that way even though they are not officially designated that way.

• Reply 111 of 111
    Here in the US, it seems that Ingram Micro still has a pretty fair number of iBooks.

Here's the latest numbers:

M8600LL/A iBook 12" CD-ROM - 285

M8602LL/A iBook 12" Combo - 627

M8603LL/A iBook 14" Combo - 662

Of course, I'm sure this would be used up in a few weeks. So it maybe be a few weeks off yet.

Matt