Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

Comments

• Reply 201 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

Guys: when you're in my library, it'd be really nice if you'd give a courtesy shout on iChat so i know who the hell's on.

I feel bad disconnecting people.

(jrw227) ichat.

It's the polite thing to do.

This is a good idea. Okay listen up people. Changed your shared name to your iChat name so we can let you know we are listening.
  • Reply 202 of 365
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    ServerShare is an app that has all the public shared iTunes libraries as a database, and you can add yours ...
  • Reply 203 of 365
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've got a router between me and my cable modem. Anybody figure out what port is being used so I can set up the right port forwarding and be able to turn on sharing?
  • Reply 204 of 365
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Maybe this was discussed...maybe not but how do you get an IP address from Airport? Since it uses NAT...

If you could help me figure it out I will broadcast 29,356 songs
  • Reply 205 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I've got a router between me and my cable modem. Anybody figure out what port is being used so I can set up the right port forwarding and be able to turn on sharing?

Ah... I guess the answer is 3689. I didn't notice how many pages of discussion had already occurred when I asked the question.

When I get home, I'll have to try this out.
  • Reply 206 of 365
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Thanks, Mulattabianca... but the new look of VT blows.
  • Reply 207 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by chic4mac

FLick, I would need step by step instructions on how to share. I don't have any airport card..assuming I don't need that. Just a DSL connection, a linksys router that networks to macs (imac 500 and emac 700)

if you want to tell me how to share music, I would gladly take your 20 gigs, and you can have my 2

Sadly I haven't Figured it out yet either, My office Setup is like yours, DSL With a router and three Macs connected Via Ethernet..

I wanna PLAY!

flick.
  • Reply 208 of 365
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    You need to forward port 3689 to the mac doing the serving.

I'm going to break this down, it's impossible for me to walk you through it because I don't know your router.

Here's your network as I understand it

Internet<->DSL Modem<->Router<->Mac Serving iTunes

Go ahead and forget about the DSL Modem, all that concerns us is the router configuration, and how it affects you.

You need to access your routers configuration and configure it to forward port 3689 to the mac doing the serving. For this you will need.

1. Access to your routers configuration. (read your manual)

2. The local IP of the mac doing the serving.

If you've lost the manual then you can try just logging in to your router from a web browser, explained below.

To get the ip of the mac doing the serving open up System Preferences on the mac that will serve up iTunes. Click on Network, the blue globe. Your IP address wil be right next to the text IP Address:, in the format of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the x's as numbers While you're hear, if you lost the router manual, grab the router's IP address. It will be right next to the text Router: in the same form.

Now, go to a browser, ie. Safari/Camino/IE and pop in your router's IP address, you might be prompted for a password. I can't help you here. Default passwords are usually something like admin/pass/password or just blank. Google around for your router manufacturers default password. If you set it and forget it, well you might be SOL. OK, now find the option for port forwarding, you might have to dig around, it is sometimes termed virtual server. When you find it, it should look something like this...

In the IP field, place the IP of the mac serving up the tunes. In the port field, put 3689. Make sure to hit any Save or Apply buttons you see.

Last, but not least, go into iTunes/Preferences/Sharing, enable sharing, of your entire library, or selected playlists only if you wish, don't give it a password, title it whatever you want.

Laster, go to http://www.whatismyip.com, that is the ip address all your macs have on the outside world, on the real internet, as opposed to your home network. Come back here, and post it, we should be able to connect from within iTunes/Advanced/Connect to shared music libraries, if you want to get fancy with it you can make links, on a website, or inside of these posts, to your music. You can even add a link to your music in your proflie.

Links to iTunes libraries are preceded by daap:// much like websites are preceded by http:// so the url to your music would be daap://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP being your real ip you got from whatismyip.com

What is essentially happening is that your real ip, the one given to you by your isp is a unique identifier. multiple computers can't have it- a router will take that one ip, and share it among several computers- faking one computer. this is why you have an ip that isn't your real ip, it's just one that is used on your home network, behind your router. When we request your music, over port 3689, the router doesn't know what to do with our request coming over port 3689- it doesn't know what mac is acception data on port 3689- so it just drops it. You need to tell your router that requests that come on port 3689 are for your mac, and to forward the port to you, instead of just dropping the data.

If these became way too simplistic don't take offense, I don't know your level of knowledge and it seems many around here are having trouble. Hopefully this will help someone.

• Reply 209 of 365
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Man, this is so bad ass.

Apple rules!
  • Reply 210 of 365
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

So is there a PC program which can 'tune in' to these daap things? I'd like to listen to my home music collection from the office.

i've been investigating this myself, and i'm pretty sure that the protocol is fairly new (or possibly proprietary). either way, i'm working on decoding it so *nix users (and maybe even evil win'rs) can tune in. which brings me to my next point:

any competant programmers out there want to help crack daap? i could use some assistance.
  • Reply 211 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

What is essentially happening is that your real ip, the one given to you by your isp is a unique identifier. multiple computers can't have it- a router will take that one ip, and share it among several computers- faking one computer. this is why you have an ip that isn't your real ip, it's just one that is used on your home network, behind your router. When we request your music, over port 3689, the router doesn't know what to do with our request coming over port 3689- it doesn't know what mac is acception data on port 3689- so it just drops it. You need to tell your router that requests that come on port 3689 are for your mac, and to forward the port to you, instead of just dropping the data.

For added emphasis, let me add that this means that only one computer at a time in this kind of network will be able to share its iTunes library. If Mama Bear and Papa Bear and Baby Bear all want to share iTunes at the same time, they need their ISP to give them multiple fixed IP addresses, or they're SOL.
  • Reply 212 of 365
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes we need a "Recent servers..." list, Buddy list, and centralized tracker server. ShawnPatrickJoyce your machine rebuffered a lot for me, I'm on a T3. This is so cool.
  • Reply 213 of 365
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i will say what everyone else has... this rules like nothing else. i have listened to so much music from so many artists who i have NEVER listened to before... wow.
  • Reply 214 of 365
    More joy for mankind...

• Reply 215 of 365
    chilleymacchilleymac Posts: 142member
    will someone try mine

corby.is-a-geek.com
  • Reply 216 of 365
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i'm back

g
  • Reply 217 of 365
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    69.3.67.102 Have at it, but please visit my topic on how to share: HELP! and help me get your tunes!

I only have 250 songs...everthing under the sun.
  • Reply 218 of 365
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    OK, I took an earlier suggestion and signed up with dyndns.org so I could have an address that still points to my iTunes library even when my IP changes. SO...

My shared iTunes 4 playlists

Currently I've got three separate collections each totaling more than 24 hours. WMLN Radio has a bit of everything in it, the Jazz/Blues/Bluegrass playlist has, well, jazz, blues and bluegrass, and the Live playlist has live music. I've got about three more days worth of music that I can swap in and out of playlists, too. Most of the tracks are 192 Kbps mp3s from my own CD collection.

Drop me an IM ([email protected]) if you're listening. Between AI and Metafilter members, there always seems to be about four or five people connected to me.
  • Reply 219 of 365
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
  • Reply 220 of 365
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    tiger, that is not your IP address....

click http://www.whatismyip.com/ to find your correct IP

g