Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

1131415161719»

Comments

• Reply 361 of 365
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what i was getting at was the fact that people saving my music DID make a difference to me because it caused apple to change their software

thanks brad

It's become a political difference to be sure, and that point of yours is valid and correct. My point that there was no technological difference to sharers is also valid and correct.

I love you too

Barto
  • Reply 362 of 365
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It's become a political difference to be sure, and that point of yours is valid and correct. My point that there was no technological difference to sharers is also valid and correct.

I love you too

Barto

There's no difference in the case of traffic hijacking tools, it's still iTunes that controlls the download: iTunes buffers data, then plays the music, then buffers again etc. (traffic bursts). Overall, you should have an outgoing traffic not bigger than the song's bitrate.

Leech tools, however, download at full speed (constantly), because the music does not have to be played. In that case, there is a difference.
  • Reply 363 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

There's no difference in the case of traffic hijacking tools, it's still iTunes that controlls the download: iTunes buffers data, then plays the music, then buffers again etc. (traffic bursts). Overall, you should have an outgoing traffic not bigger than the song's bitrate.

Leech tools, however, download at full speed (constantly), because the music does not have to be played. In that case, there is a difference.

That is correct assuming that iTunes uses the same streaming system that QuickTime does. However, there is virtually no difference to the average net user with 128kbps upstream bandwidth. They're streaming data at 128kbps either way (assuming a 128kps MP3/AAC file). Even with larger pipes, it's not a fundamental difference in the way the file is downloaded. The bandwidth isn't capped at the client end, that's all.

Barto
  • Reply 364 of 365
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

The bandwidth isn't capped at the client end, that's all.

Yes, it is. (if client == iTunes client that plays music from a remote server)
  • Reply 365 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

Yes, it is. (if client == iTunes client that plays music from a remote server)

What I meant was the bandwidth is capped at the client end in iTunes but NOT in iLeech. That's basically what you said, I'm agreeing with you. But I think it is a small difference where most inet connections are saturated by a single iTunes connection.

And this is ALL based on the assumption that iTunes uses the same streaming model that QuickTime does.

Barto