iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Guys.......just before I talk about this you can choose whether to believe it or not....but please don't blast me, okay?

Yesterday I talked to my friend who I have known for years.

Gotta mention that she's not tech savvy so what she told me may not be 100% accurate

She knows a person who works for Apple US. A few weeks ago he showed my friend the mockup (3D rendering printed on paper) of the iPhone.

Based on what she saw on the mockup the iPhone isn't a cell phone. It's indeed a tablet-like device. Has a lens (camera lens?)......It can do what those PDA does and also used to communicate other device....what devices? I am not sure.....I tried to ask my friend more specific questions but due to her lack of knowledge on tech stuff I couldn't go any further

I don't know if this has been discussed before or not.....it there were thread like this before....moderators....feel free to lock this thread

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Curious, how can this have been discussed before when it's something you heard from your friend? Does this tell this story to everyone?
  • Reply 2 of 112
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Oh....forgot to tell...

the size is in between the big newton and palm.....according to what she told me.....
  • Reply 3 of 112
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    you mean late model newton (the last one before it was killed off)?
  • Reply 4 of 112
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Ok.

Here's my theory why apple _may_ get into the mobile communication device market.

in a word: itunes

now i know most of you are saying is what?!!? itunes.

Yes itunes...

Here are my thoughts.

If AOL and apple close the deal. Apple will be the leading provider of digital music in the world. How did they get there? Short answer by providing the big 5 and AOL with a techonlogy infrastructure. In this case for selling single music titles. it saved the Big 5 and AOL from spending 10s of millions themselves and the possiblity of it failing.

Currently Imusic is a test. But its the best test these industries have ever seen. Its like a bunch of cavemen were flicking rocks togther in a Cave and Steve walked in with a Bic Lighter.

What if apple is doing the same with mobile comuunications (notice i did not say phone) Here's our platform its just as cool as the imusic platform but does all the cool thing the next gen communcation devices require, Work with us and you can save money, get cool tech, and We'll take a nickel off of every call This gives them a way into the cut throat market. By working with them..Don't know how they deal with Symbian (buy them?) But it could be exciting.

They probably won't call it a phone either.

Aren't there some hints about Erricson as well?

Here's hoping...
  • Reply 5 of 112
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I remember reading recently that Apple is trying to get a new industry standard connector made. Basically the inner workings of a cell phone without the case, number pad, screen, etc. Just a card lie an AirPort card only smaller.

That seems to fit with your idea keyboard 12.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    eddivelyeddively Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I remember reading recently that Apple is trying to get a new industry standard connector made. Basically the inner workings of a cell phone without the case, number pad, screen, etc. Just a card lie an AirPort card only smaller.

That seems to fit with your idea keyboard 12.

yeah if apple offered a gprs spped mobile/wireless service built into laptops that'd rock
  • Reply 7 of 112
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    If this exists, which frankly I doubt, it's not the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

If this exists, which frankly I doubt, it's not the iPhone.

Like you'd know?

Oh yeh.

Forget that.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    edit:

I like Harald
  • Reply 10 of 112
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    this fits with so much already discovered info:

-camera (remember the discussion about a camera that was supposed to be waterproof?)

-the latest news about a device that is tablet in nature, but larger than newton?

-kormac's DNA
  • Reply 11 of 112
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

But you can get those now. PC/Cardbus devices that you pop a SIM card in and you get GSM/GPRS access on your laptop. There are USB versions too.

Apple would be better off adding PC Card slots to *all* its laptops rather than re-inventing this particular wheel.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    eddivelyeddively Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

-camera (remember the discussion about a camera that was supposed to be waterproof?)

-the latest news about a device that is tablet in nature, but larger than newton?

-kormac's DNA

Well, kinda, but why would it be waterproof if...this machine literally could not withstand being under really any kind of water. Sure the camera might survive, but all the other--and more important parts--would not.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Problem with SIM cards is that they are GSM only. Great if you live in Europe, next to worthless in the US. Add a BlueTooth headset, some awesome power technology and you have an awesome phone/pda... thing.

It would be a bulky phone for sure, but if you can keep it in your briefcase and still make and receive calls, who cares?

8)
  • Reply 14 of 112
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nitzer

Problem with SIM cards is that they are GSM only. Great if you live in Europe, next to worthless in the US. Add a BlueTooth headset, some awesome power technology and you have an awesome phone/pda... thing.

It would be a bulky phone for sure, but if you can keep it in your briefcase and still make and receive calls, who cares?

8)

SIM cards are not gsm only.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nitzer

8)

GSM is the global standard, and the one all the big companies support (Nokia, Moto, SE etc). It is widely used in the US but not all carriers support it favouring CDMA.

I just want an Apple branded P800 (it's already tri-band GSM)
  • Reply 16 of 112
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

Color me silly, I stand corrected.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

But you can get those now. PC/Cardbus devices that you pop a SIM card in and you get GSM/GPRS access on your laptop. There are USB versions too.

Apple would be better off adding PC Card slots to *all* its laptops rather than re-inventing this particular wheel.

Having it built in, like Airport, allows Apple to build the antenna into the computer. This sounds like a good idea to me becouse you cant break the antenna off then. The card idea would allow one "device" to be produced, and the user could install whatever card his cell phone company supported, allowing Apple to cover all of the service providers with the same basic computer/pda/tablet/phone or whatever...sounds like a good idea to me, and this would fit into Apples design philosophy as well.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

-kormac's DNA

Hmmm. Calling it "discovered info" makes it sound like we know it is true. I was thinking that it sounds like recycling discredited rumors. I want to believe but lets face it, there have been thousands of tablet rumors over the last five years and no tablets.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

I just want an Apple branded P800 (it's already tri-band GSM)

No you don't.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

Care to elaborate, O and A? Which non-GSM mobile systems (can and do) use SIM cards?

Escher