When will we see a 15" Albook?

Comments

• Reply 241 of 328
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I don't think that faster laptop CPUs (e.g. 970s) will be in the 12" model.

It has to be in the 12" model because then what the point of the powerbook 12" the ibook G4 will be exactly as good
  • Reply 242 of 328
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

It has to be in the 12" model because then what the point of the powerbook 12" the ibook G4 will be exactly as good

Simple. The 12" powerbook would have a faster G4. If the 17 and 15 inch powerbooks have 970's, then the 12" can have a 1.2-1.4 GHz G4, leaving plenty of room for G4 iBooks.
  • Reply 243 of 328
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Quote:

It's not just the CPU. The PowerBook line, even the 12" (although this may spark some disagreement) is aimed at being desktop replacement machines, given their array of external connectors, memory capacities, and ability to drive big monitors at high resolution (even though a VGA port). The iBook is marketed as a portable companion, but not a desktop substitute unless your needs don't demand much in the way of ccomputing muscle. So even with the same CPU, they're different computers with different capabilities aimed at different markets.

-K

P.S. What G4 iBook? Did I miss a meeting? Or a rumor?
  • Reply 244 of 328
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I don't think that faster laptop CPUs (e.g. 970s) will be in the 12" model.

Apple would never mix G4s and 970s in the Powerbook line. When any Powerbook gets the 970, they all will.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Apple is standing pat on the current Powerbooks until they can go 970 across the board. If they were going to do a simple aluminum enclosure update to the 15", they would have done it by now. The recent price cuts are just a reflection of reduced manufacturing costs and an effective way to maintain sales throughout the summer.

Also, an all 970 Powerbook line is an obvious requirement for the iBooks to go G4, which Apple badly wants. Remember people, perhaps the most important thing about the 970 is the liberating effect it will have on the previously crippled consumer lines.

September:

12" AlBook 1.2 GHz 970

15" AlBook 1.4 GHZ 970

17" AlBook 1.4 GHz 970 (maybe 1.6 if heat allows)

10.3 pre-installed

October:

12" iBook CD-ROM 876 MHz G4

12" iBook Combo 1GHz G4

14" iBook Combo 1 GHz G4

10.3 pre-installed

This, my friends, is a rockin' holiday portable lineup.
  • Reply 245 of 328
    Quote:

It (the 970) has to be in the 12" model because then what the point of the powerbook 12" the ibook G4 will be exactly as good.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

It's not just the CPU.

It is to the average schmoe who walks into an Apple retail store. Having a G4 in the iBook and Powerbook lines at the same time is a recipe for mass confusion.
  • Reply 246 of 328
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    Looks great... But, will Apple really wait until September to update all this stuff?? I certainly hope not. \ I really need that 970 Powerbook before I go to college in August. I'm really tired of waiting for them to slap that stinken 970 processor in there and package it with a 9600 Radeon card.

Once they do, then I'll then be good to go....8)
  • Reply 247 of 328
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 248 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omek

I'm really tired of waiting for them to slap that stinken 970 processor in there and package it with a 9600 Radeon card.

Hey, me too, but I think it's a little unfair to accuse Apple of dragging their feet on a chip that is still a rumor for desktops, let alone laptops.
  • Reply 249 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

I agree, but it doesn't take much imagination to see the current PB12" guts moved into a plastic enclosure as the high end iBook as long as they put the upcoming 8 watt G4 into it. It already is pretty much an iBook spec, but with a G4 and aluminum enclosure. Makes for a slick transition. doesn't it?

This speaks to the whole problem in the first place. The 12" Powerbook already is a G4 iBook, just with a metal case and the Powerbook name for marketing purposes. When the Powerbook line goes 970 across the board, these kinds of gimmicks will no longer be necessary.
  • Reply 250 of 328
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

October:

12" iBook CD-ROM 876 MHz G4

12" iBook Combo 1GHz G4

14" iBook Combo 1 GHz G4

10.3 pre-installed

I pray this happens...but please Apple, while you're at it, perhaps you could bring back the silver palm rests. Most of all, give the iBook line true monitor spanning. Otherwise, don't bother upgrading at all.
  • Reply 251 of 328
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Most of all, give the iBook line true monitor spanning. Otherwise, don't bother upgrading at all.

buy a powerbook
  • Reply 252 of 328
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

I agree, but it doesn't take much imagination to see the current PB12" guts moved into a plastic enclosure as the high end iBook as long as they put the upcoming 8 watt G4 into it. It already is pretty much an iBook spec, but with a G4 and aluminum enclosure. Makes for a slick transition. doesn't it?

I agree. Apple is probably saving themselves some work here knowing that the powermacs will have new mother boards not to long from now. So they make the G4 iBook mother board, make a new 12" alu enclosure, and use it there for a while guessing it will generate quite a few sales (which it has). Then the 970 enters the PB: take the 12" PB mother board and toss it over to the iBook line, where it probably will still be used for a while. That is one possible explanation for the missing features in the 12". They are probably just trying to save themselves for doing yet another mother board design here, knowing that they probably will be busy making the mother boards for the 970 powerbooks and the iMac when they are finished with the powermac.

The next 12" powerbook motherboard will probably sport more of the features from its larger siblings.
  • Reply 253 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

buy a powerbook

Or not.

If the Powerbooks go 970, then why limit the iBooks? Afterall, most PC laptops provide this feature.
  • Reply 254 of 328
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Or not.

If the Powerbooks go 970, then why limit the iBooks? Afterall, most PC laptops provide this feature.

because it takes more than a G3/G4 or G4/970 difference to make potential customers to shell out hundreds of dollars more for a powerbook. it needs the extra (pro) features, like larger screens, pc-card slots, monitor spanning and oh yes, but not as important if you just want to give a powerpoint presentation, faster processors.

it's obvious you want the monitorspanning but don't care that much for other features as faster processors, bigger screens etc. for the lowest price as possible... so does a large bunch of powerbook users and that's not what apple wants or need.

why do you überhaupt care what pc laptops provide? they don't work and feel like a mac, so why compare? because they fit in your lap? most mac laptops provide monitorspanning too but not for a price you want to pay for one
  • Reply 255 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

because it takes more than a G3/G4 or G4/970 difference to make potential customers to shell out hundreds of dollars more for a powerbook. it needs the extra (pro) features, like larger screens, pc-card slots, monitor spanning and oh yes, but not as important if you just want to give a powerpoint presentation, faster processors.

it's obvious you want the monitorspanning but don't care that much for other features as faster processors, bigger screens etc. for the lowest price as possible... so does a large bunch of powerbook users and that's not what apple wants or need.

why do you überhaupt care what pc laptops provide? they don't work and feel like a mac, so why compare? because they fit in your lap? most mac laptops provide monitorspanning too but not for a price you want to pay for one

Yes, I do want monitor spanning. Essentially give me the current Powerbook 12" G4 in iBook form. Is that really asking that much? I don't think so.

Products need to improve and the mere inclusion of adding monitor spanning does not position it as a professional product. Unlike the present, doing so may actually get the video out port used.
  • Reply 256 of 328
    Quote:

Products need to improve and the mere inclusion of adding monitor spanning does not position it as a professional product.

Yes it does. I'm not saying that you don't want it or need it, but it is a pro feature. iBooks are for soccer moms, students and newbies. These people have no idea what monitor spanning even is, let alone have a need for it.

Anyone who actually needs monitor spanning is doing pro work. You've got palletes or timelines or source code windows open. If this is you, then you should be using a Powerbook anyway. It's not like you don't get a lot more for the extra $300.

Cherry picking one pro feature and wanting that put on a consumer product at no extra charge is like asking Dodge to build a Neon with a Mercedes suspension, but no other Mercedes features, all at the same price.
  • Reply 257 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Yes it does. I'm not saying that you don't want it or need it, but it is a pro feature. iBooks are for soccer moms, students and newbies. These people have no idea what monitor spanning even is, let alone have a need for it.

Anyone who actually needs monitor spanning is doing pro work. You've got palletes or timelines or source code windows open. If this is you, then you should be using a Powerbook anyway. It's not like you don't get a lot more for the extra $300.

I respectfully disagree. You're assuming students are that naive? Do you know how much research goes into the buying process today?

The iBook serves many sectors. Newbies, yes. But it also serves the less affluent small business owner. Not necessarily someone who's doing Final Pro edits for a living but perhaps a consultant.

All I'm saying is if the Powerbooks go 970, simply unlocking this monitor spanning (it's presently hackable)is not a big deal or cost to Apple.
  • Reply 258 of 328
    Quote:

I respectfully disagree. You're assuming students are that naive? Do you know how much research goes into the buying process today?

The iBook serves many sectors. Newbies, yes. But it also serves the less affluent small business owner. Not necessarily someone who's doing Final Pro edits for a living but perhaps a consultant.

All I'm saying is if the Powerbooks go 970, simply unlocking this monitor spanning (it's presently hackable)is not a big deal or cost to Apple.

Here's the repectful disagreement right back at ya

I'm a full-time Mac consultant, and I have overseen the purchase, setup and training of hundreds of iBooks for scores of clients in every possible environment from small businesses to Technology Magnet High Schools and not once as the phrase "monitor spanning" ever been uttered.

Is it lame that Apple disables it? Yes. Would it be easy and cheap to "fix"? Yes. Would it make a bit of difference to anyone but a few Mac geeks who are too cheap to buy Powerbooks? No.
  • Reply 259 of 328
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Maybe slightly off topic...

Just came back from the computer store of my old college and they have the 15" 1Ghz superdrive on special (again) for $1999.00.

Also have the 2 higher end powermacs on special where you buy either and can get the 17" LCD for $99.00 extra.
  • Reply 260 of 328
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 394member
    Checkout the Apple Store. At least at this moment, ALL Macintoshes shipping is estimated at 30 days! Either the site is haywire, or ...8)

Slight correction - also Xserves are 30 days. iPods and Displays have normal shipping times...