X2 - afraid of spoilers? stay out of the thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Went to a 12:01 showing...letting some thoughts spill onto the messageboard...the commandos attacking the school and that entire scene was very cool...in general the actions sequences were awsome, except the part with the F-16s and tornadoes <-- very lame...Nightcrawler was freakin' awesome, especially in the opening scene - OMG. Great gags all around...the birdie seems to be a running joke...The way Magneto escapes from the prison was brilliant. They finally used Mystique to her full potential...the love triangle between Wolverine/Cyclops/Jean Grey was blah. I wish they'd use Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Pyro, Freezerboy (Iceman) more. Rogue was rather useless again...Iceman's bro is a dick. Who is Stryker's freaky mutant son? What about the kid changing channels while he blinks? What about tongue-boy? What happens Jean Grey at the end...she's obviously not dead - would any comic freak care to elaborate? The guy giving the interview on the TV in the bar was Beast, right? I thought he was supposed to be big, blue and hairy... I did notice Gambit was in Stryker's computer files.



X-Men fans should be creaming in their pants when they come out of the theater, and for the rest of the audience, it's a good popcorn flick.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 67
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

    What about the kid changing channels while he blinks?



    Darren Peter Oswald?



    Who's the big bullet proof guy who helps the kids escape?



    Quote:

    I wish they'd use Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Pyro, Freezerboy (Iceman) more.



    You didn't spot the potential for X3



    Why does Jean Gray have a "regular" name? Something called the Phoenix brings her back in the comic...\
  • Reply 2 of 67
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yeah, the Phoenix "Saga" --- I remember racing home to catch that on afternoon cartoons; never really saw the whole sequence it in its entirety (always managed to get in halfway and had no idea what was going on). That cartoon was a testament to artistic ability and imagination, though.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Oh man, the action sequence between Lady Deathstrike and Wolverine- at one point in the action they just pause to look at each other... professor xavier is one scary mofo... genuine sense of dread during certain parts of the movie.



    I wish it was rated R like the matrix.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I can't think of a sequel that surpassed its' original for me more than this movie, and I liked the first one.



    MUCH more in-depth plot and character development, great choice of new major players. They could really spin-off the younger members of the team if they wanted to.



    Rouge would be more useful if, like in the comics she flew and had super-strength. I love Anna Paquin in the role, I wish they used her more.



    The whole Jean Grey/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga was sort of a clusterf**ck in the comics, from what I remember. And it started in space...



    Jeff
  • Reply 5 of 67
    robbyrobby Posts: 109member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Eugene

    Went to a 12:01 showing...letting some thoughts spill onto the messageboard...the commandos attacking the school and that entire scene was very cool...in general the actions sequences were awsome, except the part with the F-16s and tornadoes <-- very lame...Nightcrawler was freakin' awesome, especially in the opening scene - OMG. Great gags all around...the birdie seems to be a running joke...The way Magneto escapes from the prison was brilliant. They finally used Mystique to her full potential...the love triangle between Wolverine/Cyclops/Jean Grey was blah. I wish they'd use Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Pyro, Freezerboy (Iceman) more. Rogue was rather useless again...Iceman's bro is a dick. Who is Stryker's freaky mutant son? What about the kid changing channels while he blinks? What about tongue-boy? What happens Jean Grey at the end...she's obviously not dead - would any comic freak care to elaborate? The guy giving the interview on the TV in the bar was Beast, right? I thought he was supposed to be big, blue and hairy... I did notice Gambit was in Stryker's computer files.



    X-Men fans should be creaming in their pants when they come out of the theater, and for the rest of the audience, it's a good popcorn flick.






    Well first off the tounge boy is artie.he has the ability to create holograms to show what he's thinking (to make up for the fact that he is mute). the jean grey thing is definantly dark pheonix. you can check www.marveldirectory.com for more info. the Guy on tv in the bar is the beast but (pre beast days).



    Gambit's scene for the film was actually filmed but may show up on the DVD. scroll down the page and you can the guy's credit for the film http://www.stuntscanada.net/james_bamford.htm







    Buy the way anybody remember the names of the other mutants on strykers computer. im sure i saw lance alders( avalanche)
  • Reply 6 of 67
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    I generally agreed with the review over at salon.com.



    Big thing though ---











    SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!









    (I know it's in the thread title, I just thought I'd give you a second chance...)











    -- Why didn't that freezo boy just freeze the water in the lake? Would have simplified things a lot!





    P.S. Wolverine needs his head read. What heterosexual male in his right mind would kick Rebecca Romaine-Stamos out of bed?



  • Reply 7 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by boy_analog



    -- Why didn't that freezo boy just freeze the water in the lake? Would have simplified things a lot!





    I thought that too. I guess that would have killed the whole suspense of the end of the movie.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    two things.



    1. probably to much water to freeze it all. it was a huge lake behind there.



    2. when water freezes it exapands. if he'd frozen the water right by the dam, it would have just expanded and made things worse.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Buy the way anybody remember the names of the other mutants on strykers computer. im sure i saw lance alders( avalanche)



    I thought I caught Warren Worthington, but I may have been looking too hard.



    Jeff
  • Reply 10 of 67
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

    Gambit's scene for the film was actually filmed but may show up on the DVD.



    Yes, cut scenes do smell strongly of DVD extra .



    Quote:

    Buy the way anybody remember the names of the other mutants on strykers computer. im sure i saw lance alders( avalanche



    See the DVD version!



    Iceman probably isn't powerful enough to freeze a lake in transit. The X-Men's powers (along with most superheroes' powers) are limited.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, he created a wall of ice inside the Mansion. Why couldn't he have made a "dam" of ice while Jean was holding it off? Boom. Problem solved, they fly away, the youngster gets a star for helping out, and everybody's happy. \
  • Reply 12 of 67
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Stoo



    Iceman probably isn't powerful enough to freeze a lake in transit. The X-Men's powers (along with most superheroes' powers) are limited.




    The Iceman in the comics was powerful enough to do just that...



    Freezer Boy's got some catching up to do!
  • Reply 13 of 67
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The Phoenix saga was basically;



    Jean Grey was flying the Black Bird with all the other X-Men in it back from some jam on outer space, something crazy happened and everybody got all funny. Jean almost died, but a cosmic entity called the Phoenix took hold of her body in order to fly the rest of the X-Men to safety. Jean's body was weak, so the Phoenix put her in some cocoon deal in the bay off NYC. While she was in there, the Phoenix took her place, in the form of Jean Grey. There is also some weird ass side plot that happens, something about Phoenix and Scott Summers' child from the future coming back to then, it gets real messy towards the end.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by iBrowse

    Jean almost died, but a cosmic entity called the Phoenix took hold of her body in order to fly the rest of the X-Men to safety.



    ***some spoilers, but if you're still reading the thread, then you've already asked for it.****



    you got pretty much all of it. basically, the phoenix/dark phoenix saga was used to introduce a LOT of extra characters into the storylines in chris claremont's head (the best writer that x-men has ever had).



    basically, he was saddled with the task of taking the old 50's/60's era mutant teams, and make them more interesting. he couldn't do it with the old "alien bad guy per month" motif, so he started sewing in the likes of the inner circle, mr. sinister (awesome character, terrible name), the reavers, the morlock massacre, etc. then nimrod, master mold and the sentinel program lead into the very short but incredible "days of future passed" story arc, which showed the world as it might be if the mutants failed, and the sentinels were allowed to run rampant. but let's hope they stay away from time travel in these movies. trust me, the character known as cable is such a mish-mash of time-travel nonsense that i got really tired of readin the x-titles. don't believe me? just TRY to follow along on Cable's convoluted, cloned, time-dsiplaced past.



    the metal guy is colossus (aka piotr "peter" rasputin). cares for his sister (who he carried down the hall in the mansion) more than life itself. colossus and wolverine popularized the "fastball special" -- it involves colossus going metal, picking up wolvie, and hurling him at the enemy. THAT i would like to see in a movie.



    the ethereal girl (the one who dissolves through her bed, the walls and the invading troops is catherine "kitty" pryde, aka "shadowcat."



    the only name i caught in stryker's database was one

    lebeau, remy aka "gambit"



    the opening scene with nightcrawler was the bomb. damn, that boy can kick it when he needs to.



    guess deathstrike is utterly, totally dead. you can't say that often in comics, but damn...



    yes, they finally showed how deadly mystique can be (and how awesome her power is).



    i think the kid who blinked and changed channels was cypher, one of the new mutants, but i'm not sure. plus, if you're going to try to kidnap Siryn (Banshee's little sis), for god's sake, stuff a gag in her mouth. ouch!



    basically, all of the "teen-squad" mutants are supposed to not have their powers fully developed yet (mutant puberty). so in this storyline, jean's powers were far more developed to handle a small tidal wave than bobby's could. just like with rogue, yes, she's be more interesting witht he ability to fly and throw cars around, but the manner in which they gave her those powers int he comic would make no sense without about seven movies and a few crossovers.



    yes, they have taken some liberties with the original stories (like bobby drake, aka iceman, is supposed to be as old as the senior mutants), but you had to in order to avoid how hokey some of those old stories were (plus, you've got to recap a heck of a lot history into a frachise that will probably only see one or two more movies).



    here's hoping the "sentinel program" is used in the next movie along with phoenix.



    as i told my friends, when i left the theater...

    i felt i got my money's worth.

    i would recommend it to friends.

    i would see it again.

    i would consider buying it on tape or dvd.



    that is what i call a perfect score. well done!
  • Reply 15 of 67
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Eugene

    The Iceman in the comics was powerful enough to do just that...



    Freezer Boy's got some catching up to do!




    totally. they decided about 4-5 years back to start developing iceman a lot, and used his powers in pretty cool ways. against the telepath "white queen," he partially froze the blood in her arteries near her brain to knock her out (well, almost). when battling professor x's son "legion", he froze him solid. not in a block of ice sort of way -- in a "stop every molecule in your body" sort of way.



    a lot more impressive than his "ice roller coaster" riding old days.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Cool review, Rok...



    Now take a breath!







    Jeff
  • Reply 17 of 67
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rok

    ..snip..so he started sewing in the likes of the inner circle, mr. sinister (awesome character, terrible name), the reavers, the morlock massacre, etc. then nimrod, master mold and the sentinel program lead into the very short but incredible "days of future passed" story arc, which showed the world as it might be if the mutants failed, and the sentinels were allowed to run rampant...snip..



    heh, that's what I meant by wierd ass side plot, it split off in so many directions. Around when they did the Phoenix stuff, the story lines jumped everywhere. But the sentinels were in other X-Men series too, I think in almost every episode of the cartoon show. I remember especially the first appearance of Jubilee when the sentilenls reigned hell down on her house.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by rok

    ..snip..but let's hope they stay away from time travel in these movies. trust me, the character known as cable is such a mish-mash of time-travel nonsense that i got really tired of readin the x-titles. don't believe me? just TRY to follow along on Cable's convoluted, cloned, time-dsiplaced past...snip..



    The idea of a timeline, that's not in chronological order is just stupid, even for comic books. Trying to follow anything involving Cable was such a pain in the butt because you have a grasp on something, but then the next issue they could change anything and play it off as being because of time travel. Not only was Cable's ..everything.. too hard to follow, anything connected to X-Force wasn't worth the time in my opinion.





    Quote:

    Originally posted by rok

    ..snip..i think the kid who blinked and changed channels was cypher, one of the new mutants, but i'm not sure...snip..



    I haven't seen the movie yet, but that sounds like it.



    Sometime in the last year and a half Marvel did a series called Origins that completely told all of Wolverine's past, childhood, connections to Sabretooth, etc. It was a series of 6 comics, truly amazing artwork, and an excellent story line. I waited until after all 6 were out and bought them all in one hard cover book, it's really nice.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    bluerabbitbluerabbit Posts: 105member
    What's with all the references to the book "Once and Future King"? I just got back from seeing the movie, and I noticed it in two places. First, Magneto was reading it in his prison. Second, at the end of the movie Professor X asked his students if any of them had read a book by T.H. White, called "The Once and Future King".
  • Reply 19 of 67
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BlueRabbit

    What's with all the references to the book "Once and Future King"? I just got back from seeing the movie, and I noticed it in two places. First, Magneto was reading it in his prison. Second, at the end of the movie Professor X asked his students if any of them had read a book by T.H. White, called "The Once and Future King".



    It's a book made up of four other books/stories kind of in a series. The first one if The Sword in The Stone, the other three aren't as popular. Well, I don't know what they are.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Yair, I gather it's a re-telling of the legend of King Arthur. I suppose that Professor X == King Arthur, Magneto == Mordred ...
Sign In or Register to comment.