X2 - afraid of spoilers? stay out of the thread

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

Actually, the Pheonix saga has the potential to make a lot of people happy. If Jean Grey becomes too powerful, they could use Rogue to absorb most of Pheonix's powers and granting Rogue the abilities that she has in the comic like flight and invunerability, and at the same time giving them an excuse to bring Jean Grey back to normal. <shrugs> It wouldn't exactly be a strict comic book adaptation, but it might work.

I like that!

Say-You don't have any inside info do you, Gambit?

You know it had to come up!

Jeff
  • Reply 42 of 67
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Oh, and I almost forgot the 1 things about the movie that i didn't like. They really didn't explain why Jean Grey left the Blackbird in order to stop the water. The explaination or "She made a choice" was lame and empty. Also, if she had the telekinetic ability to stop and redirect hundred of thousands of tonnes of water, why didn't she just levitate the Blackbird and everyone would be safe and sound?
  • Reply 43 of 67
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

I like that!

Say-You don't have any inside info do you, Gambit?

Jeff

I'll never tell....... that could be the ace up my sleeve, eh mon ami?
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

Yup...remember the Beyonder?

Oh man, you don't want to get me started!

Secret Wars I kicked 10 types of ass, but bring him to Earth...

Jeff
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:

Actually, the Pheonix saga has the potential to make a lot of people happy. If Jean Grey becomes too powerful, they could use Rogue to absorb most of Pheonix's powers and granting Rogue the abilities that she has in the comic like flight and invunerability, and at the same time giving them an excuse to bring Jean Grey back to normal. <shrugs> It wouldn't exactly be a strict comic book adaptation, but it might work.

This wouldn't give her the powers she is lacking. She would take on all of Phoenix's powers, making her the most power telepath in the universe, but not the invunerability and flight that Rogue should have. The could easily have patched in some story about her absorbing the powers before coming to the school I guess. I can't remember how or when she actually took on those abilities.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:

Oh, and I almost forgot the 1 things about the movie that i didn't like. They really didn't explain why Jean Grey left the Blackbird in order to stop the water. The explaination or "She made a choice" was lame and empty. Also, if she had the telekinetic ability to stop and redirect hundred of thousands of tonnes of water, why didn't she just levitate the Blackbird and everyone would be safe and sound?

In the EW article that mentioned the Angel X-ray they said the movie was being re-worked until the verrrry last minute.

This point and the Once and Future King thing seem like they could be the results of that.

On the other hand, maybe they wanted to build intrigue into Jean's character.

Jeff
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:

Oh man, you don't want to get me started!

Secret Wars I kicked 10 times of ass, but bring him to Earth...

Jeff

Secret Wars was the series that really got me hooked on comics. The ties-ins made sense and the story was well developed. Secret wars 2 sucked ass. Tie-ins were cheap and obvious, story line was lame. Marvel was truely showing crumbling at that point.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Quote:

Secret Wars was the series that really got me hooked on comics. The ties-ins made sense and the story was well developed. Secret wars 2 sucked ass. Tie-ins were cheap and obvious, story line was lame. Marvel was truely showing crumbling at that point.

Damn it, Tulkas, you're getting my comic-geek pulse rising!

I hadn't thought about Secret Wars in a long time-I'd love to re-read it after all these years.

I wonder what a non-mint collection of SW I 1-12 goes for these days...

Jeff
  • Reply 49 of 67
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

This wouldn't give her the powers she is lacking. She would take on all of Phoenix's powers, making her the most power telepath in the universe, but not the invunerability and flight that Rogue should have. The could easily have patched in some story about her absorbing the powers before coming to the school I guess. I can't remember how or when she actually took on those abilities.

Rogue got her invulnerability and flight by absorbing Marvel Girl's powers (and not letting go). Was that her name? I thought that used to be Jean's name. Anyway, it was a confusing time for her, and she was sort of egged into doing it by Mystique.

Obviously this wouldn't work in the movie since Rogue isn't even the right age.

Jean's death scene in the movie is very similar to her death scene in the cartoon (before she becomes Phoenix). She realizes that it's up to her to save the whole crew and bravely sacrifices herself, not letting anyone else save her. If she really is the Phoenix now, it makes sense that they contrived this in the movie to mirror the basics of the original story.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:

Damn it, Tulkas, you're getting my comic-geek pulse rising!

I hadn't thought about Secret Wars in a long time-I'd love to re-read it after all these years.

I wonder what a non-mint collection of SW I 1-12 goes for these days...

Jeff

Ironicly, I was wondering the same thing last night. Not because I want to sell my copies, but because a friend I had in junior high. I was in grade 7 and had only ever bought comics to read, not collect. I met a friend in grade 7 who had a massive mint condition collection. He unwisely allowed me to borrow SW1-2. I read themin the bath tub. Needless to say, he wasn't too impressed. So, I wonder, how much did I cost him? I seem to recall he did end up replacing them, but he moved to Africa soon after that and we lost touch, so I can't remember if he managed to recover all 12 issues.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:

Ironicly, I was wondering the same thing last night. Not because I want to sell my copies, but because a friend I had in junior high. I was in grade 7 and had only ever bought comics to read, not collect. I met a friend in grade 7 who had a massive mint condition collection. He unwisely allowed me to borrow SW1-2. I read themin the bath tub. Needless to say, he wasn't too impressed. So, I wonder, how much did I cost him? I seem to recall he did end up replacing them, but he moved to Africa soon after that and we lost touch, so I can't remember if he managed to recover all 12 issues.

For the heck of it I threw in a $10 bid on a complete set on eBay, we'll see how it turns out.

I was the same way, I'm sure my comics would be worth quite a bit if I'd been a serious collector as a kid.

frawgz-Jean's original (lame) name was Marvel Girl. I think they could still hedge a little and use the Rouge scenario for the movie.

Jeff
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:

frawgz-Jean's original (lame) name was Marvel Girl. I think they could still hedge a little and use the Rouge scenario for the movie.

My bad, Rogue stole her powers from Ms. Marvel, who spent the rest of her days comatose in a hospital bed.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:

. I think they could still hedge a little and use the Rouge scenario for the movie.

Jeff

That's all I'm saying. It would make sense in the X-Men universe Brian Singer is making.

damn purists.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:

damn purists.

I was one of the worst "It all has to be like the comics" fanboys you could imagine before these movies started coming out!

But it's just so damn cool to see the characters come to life powered by today's movie magic that I overlook the dramatic liscense.

Jeff
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

damn purists.

I hope that's not supposed to be me

I could care less.. Singer's universe stands well on its own, so to me, trying to make Rogue the invulnerable flying Rogue for no particular reason is more purist than saying it doesn't make much sense within the movie plot. That isn't to say that the plot as it is bulletproof. Still, X2 rocked. I'm waiting for the next one already.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy and going out to all the other damned paranoid damned purists asking if I was asking if it was them I was referring to...

[/B]

• Reply 57 of 67
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    last i checked the comics had a hell of a time keeping reality in check anyway, so who's to care that much if the movie is different.

the fan boys can just tell themselves that cable went back in time and changed things to match the movie.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    In regards to Once & Future King:

There was an affair between The Queen (Guinevere) and the greatest Knight of the Round Table (Lancelot). The King was of course Arthur. Now, apply the roles as you would.

I'd say they were making some sort of Camelot reference to the rivalry between Wolverine and Scott Whats-his-name....note, I'm an old Batman fan, didn't read any X-Men.

Watched the comic a little...

Really enjoyed the movie(s), will continue to see these things.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i say unfortunately because, as was the style back in those days of comics, everything was being written for maximum soap opera "shock value," whether it made a lot of sense or not. comic sales were tanking badly after their metoric rise in the early-90's, and marvel was especially bad in trying to cash in on their hot mutant titles.

just as an addendum to this point, some comics readers will remember when marvel utterly torpedoed itself by mucking around with the spider-man history in '95/'96, when peter parker wasn't really peter parker, and they decided to re-write 40-50 years of history for shock value... this didn't bring in any new readers, and did more to piss off regular fans and send them into the independent comics (nothing wrong with that) or onto other things.

there was an interesting documentary on todd mcfarlane several years ago that briefly touches on his problems with the marvel editors at the time. plus, it was during those years that many of the marvel regulars, under the aegis of jim lee and scott williams (one of x-men's greatest artists), formed what is now known as image comics in san diego.

y'know, i know way too much about this stuff.

you know, i wonder if they could do a secret wars movie, and tie in movies and casts like hulk, x-men, spider-man, etc. i mean, spidey did get his black suit from the secret wars, which would allow for venom to occur. but that might be TOO ambitious of a task.

i also agree that, now that singer has a BUDGET, his x-men universe is kicking all sorts of ass.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

just as an addendum to this point, some comics readers will remember when marvel utterly torpedoed itself by mucking around with the spider-man history in '95/'96, when peter parker wasn't really peter parker, and they decided to re-write 40-50 years of history for shock value... this didn't bring in any new readers, and did more to piss off regular fans and send them into the independent comics (nothing wrong with that) or onto other things.

Does anyone remember when Spiderman's spider mutant gene started getting out of control and he went to the X-Men for help? That was pretty interesting..