9OMM 970's AT THE END OF THE YEAR?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Macdoobiedoo doing it again: Rumors Extreme(tm):

Quote:

[ Rumour ] Roadmap APPLE 12 next month old - Lionel - 05:53:00

It's only a rumor, but before finding some evidences, it might let you dream

a bit.

June-July 2003: PPC 970 PowerMac and Xserve, PowerBooks with G4 @ 1.25 GHz.

August-September 2003: iMacs with 1.25 and 1.4GHz G4 processors.

November 2003: iBook still equiped with G3 processors, but Apple will now use the Gobi version of the processor at 1 and 1.2 GHz.

January-February 2004: Second generation of PPC 970, running at 2.5 GHz (maybe more). They will be used in PowerMacs and Xserves. iMacs will run for the first time with PPC970 at 1.4 and 1.6 GHz.

March 2004 (less sure): First presentation of the PPC980, mobile version of the PPC970, probably used to replace PowerBook's G4.

Two new products are being developed by Apple :

- The Xstation is a highly professional super computer with up to 64 processors (mini. 4). It will be equiped with the latest GPU and support a high quantity of memory. Price between 10000 and 75000$ (maybe more).The Xstation will aim people using some big apps as Maya and other CAD and high resolution video softwares.

- The Xserve Enterprise Edition (2 rackable units) will run with a Power 5 and will support a very large data flow.

• Reply 22 of 60
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Hm, some Apple and/or IBM employee may find a pink slip in the morning...

But anyway, notice no 970 in a Powerbook for a while (March 2004). This does not make the report more or less trustworthy, but does get it a Sanity Score(tm) of 8.4 (out of 10).

Power5 Xserves in '04. Yum. Yum.

Screed
  • Reply 23 of 60
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

The Xstation is a highly professional super computer with up to 64 processors (mini. 4). It will be equiped with the latest GPU and support a high quantity of memory. Price between 10000 and 75000$ (maybe more).The Xstation will aim people using some big apps as Maya and other CAD and high resolution video softwares.

$75 000 for a 64 processor system would be rather cheap and I really don't see Apple going there especially if that is meant to be a workstation they're offering, which is what it sounds like.

To be perfectly blunt I don't think they really have much of a clue what's happening.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

$75 000 for a 64 processor system would be rather cheap and I really don't see Apple going there especially if that is meant to be a workstation they're offering, which is what it sounds like.

To be perfectly blunt I don't think they really have much of a clue what's happening.

If it's too good to be true, it often is. If someone has all this information about Apples roadmaps they have to be fairly close to the developement - and then face loosing their job, or worse facing the bigges lawsuit ever if someone finds out. One ballsy working bee if you ask me
  • Reply 25 of 60
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    i said it before "ballsy, very ballsy".
  • Reply 26 of 60
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Hm, some Apple and/or IBM employee may find a pink slip in the morning...

That's what I'm thinking. The type of insider info they claim to have would have to come from a source with unbelieveable access to top-level meetings.

How would they know how every conference call goes? How many people are in the room when Steve gets on the phone with Motorolla? Can't be many. I'm betting that this part of the 'rumor' is completely unfounded even if quite likely.

However, the other details could be part of an internal apple sting... spread some random, bogus product info here or there and see which one floats.

I see only a few possibilities about these crazy frenchmen:

- they just fabricate rumors at will

- they are being mislead by an alleged source

- their source has been mislead

- they are correct!

Pure speculation? Sure... but i always shook my presents before xMass anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Transcendental Octothorpe

Thanks Clive and JLL,

but...

it would be 0.09µm, or 90nm.

Whoops, yes you're right - but 0.9nM would be cool!
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Macbidouille has apperantly benchmarked the 970!!?

Quote:

[By reading these benchmarks you'll understand that we couldn't publish them before.

Now we know that PM G4 sells are stuck at a very low level, the following test results won't have much incidence. It will however make the ones switching to PC wait for the next generation of Power Macs.]

[The first benchmarks were done during March 2003 on a preview model running at 1.4 GHz. OS was an alpha version 7B5 and 7B8 of Panther, optimised for 64 bits processor, but the applications tested were only using 32 bits.]

[Photoshop : PPC 970 mono 1.4 is 87% faster than a Dual 1.42 GHz Final Cut Pro : PPC 970 mono 1.4 is 112% faster than a Dual 1.42 GHz Alias|Wavefront Maya Render : PPC 970 mono 1.4 is 254% faster than a Dual 1.42 GHz]

[The second series of benchmarks were done on the same computers that

will be sold. There is however a doubt on the presence of the up-market

dual 2.0 GHz as the availability of these chips isn't sure. It seems

Apple will surely be able to sell Mono 1.4 GHz, Dual 1.6 and Dual 1.8.]

[The result is that the G4 compared to the PPC 970 is now a secretary computer.]

[A few explanations to the results :

- The Altivec shows a 80% increase of performances with the 970. This is not due to the chip itself, but to the high speed access between processor and central memory. The Mach 64 motherboard is highly optimised for the use of DDR-SDRAM.

- There is no performance loss when the PPC 970 executes some 32 bits apps.

- The motherboard optimization almost allows dual processors to reach double performance. In fact it's about 90% efficiency gained with the second processor, compared to 50% for the G4.]

[Looking closely to these results we understand why Apple waits for a 64 bits OS to launch the PPC 970. We'll take advantage of a 50% gain of performance between he up-market Pro G4 and the first PPC 970. We can imagine the difference with the top level PPC 970. It will be the best evolution ever between two Mac generations.]

[Mac fans, our wait will be rewarded. The fight is over and Apple will soon rule the world !]

• Reply 29 of 60
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    BLOODY HELL FIRE!

\

LEMON BON BON
  • Reply 30 of 60
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I second Lemon Bon Bon

Let's just hope this isn't fake, and they'll have one damned sure buyer over in Norway

But.. how can they get such information?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

i said it before "ballsy, very ballsy".

And now you can say it again ghstmars
  • Reply 32 of 60
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Why is the 970 dual 2.0 only showed for the Photoshop Actions benchmark?
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

But.. how can they get such information?

Beats me! And I can not understand that a website can publish this information, and if it's being real, not get into trouble. I would think Apple Legal would be all over them by now if there were any truth to this. Dont you???
  • Reply 34 of 60
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    If those benchmarks are true, Apple switch campaign will take a nice twist.

And they'll get me back to the Mac platform.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

Why is the 970 dual 2.0 only showed for the Photoshop Actions benchmark?

Maybe they forgot to test it on the other benchmarks
  • Reply 36 of 60
    OH-MY-WORD. OH-MY-WORD. OH-MY-WORD!!!

Look at this people, the low end 970 pile drives the 3 gig Pentium right in the jegs, scrapes its knees and elbows across a gravely car park and along the hedge backwards with a swift knee to the bread basket.

OH, right in the chopsticks.

Oh-my-word.

This is stellar performance. Altivec is icing on the cake but the added bandwidth really makes it sing.

The fpu performance is stunning. 7 seconds for a bryce render...over twice as fast as the current fastest 3 gig Pentium 4!!!

250 percent faster on a Maya render over a dual 1.42 gig G4. Ohhhhhhh, Lightwave...Lightwave...this is your machine. Just look at those Photoshop scores...oh...mommy...lois...LO-IS...LOW-IS...Gee, LOHWIS!!!

Stunned.

Stunnning. PPC is back and its troucing Wintel!!! The Pentium 4 3 gigger is given the beating of its life by the new low end 970!!!!!!!! Right royal kicking. Ohhh. Dooooh! Doooow! Doom 3 scores, I can't wait. Lightwave benches. I can't wait.

Apple legions unite...it's time to storm the gates of Redmond...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 37 of 60
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Ok, they got me back on board!!! My last desktop Mac was a 300 MHz Yosemite, after that only portables. But now I see the advantage of owning a Mac desktop again! I guess the days of my new Athlon 1800+ are numbered...

ZoSo
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Apple legions unite...it's time to storm the gates of Redmond...

• Reply 39 of 60
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Unbelievable, over twice as fast as a P4 on a MHz for MHz basis, this is astonishing... It can't believe it, I can't believe it...

ZoSo
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Geez, compared to this stately 600 mhz G3 I'm typing on (my wife's iBook...), the low end 1.4 970 will seem like warp drive. I haven't been this excited about a specific machine since Commodore previewed the Amiga!

Unbelievable benches.

If the final machines bench anywhere near this I'll buy. In fact, you could buy the low end 970 and await the 2nd generation in comfort!!!

No wonder Intel issued a press release trying to deflate the hype re: the 970. They're rattled. They have every right to be.

It would take a 9 gig Pentium 4 to equal the dual 1.8 970 on some of those benches!!!

And the G4? Look, it's absolutely pathetic compared to the 970...it's absolutely bitch-slapped around the Photoshop arena with a father son talk that goes, 'Who's yer daddy?'

This is not merely a 15% pathetic speed bump and a mere price cut machine. This is a revolution in Mac performance. Nothing less.

Am I dreaming?

Lemon Bon Bon