G4 iBook...when do you imagine?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 123
    thats what i thought.. so there won't be an update any time soon.. methinks i'll just buy an entry level ibook at 800mhz, unless anyone can convince me that the extra 100mhz is really going to make a difference!
  • Reply 82 of 123
    LowBandwidthMember, I think if you don't do any computationally challenging tasks on your iBook you'll enjoy it without wanting to pull your hair out. You're getting an 800 MHz iBook. I have only the 600 MHz model and aside from iMovie being slow as molasses in winter, it's not that bad of an experience. So with that said, I imagine the 200 MHz you'll have of an advantage over my iBook will make your iBook something that you enjoy working with on a daily basis. One thing I should say though is that you'll want to drop some additional memory in it when you get a chance. I was one of those people who believed the posters on here that said that 256 MB of Ram was more than enough for users. Whatever. To get things running smoothly I dropped in 516 MB of Ram on top of the soldered 128 MB to give me a supple 640 MB of Ram. Needless to say, things were noticably better. Aside from that I haven't had to change a thing. Enjoy your new iBook, but definitely get more RAM for it.
  • Reply 83 of 123
    i'm currently using a G4 350 AGP with 1.12gb of ram.. dad recently purchased an iBook 800 with 384mb of ram and it more than holds its own against the G4 for what i need to do - writing assignments, surfing the net etc.. of course, i can't convince dad to give me his ibook (after all it is his new toy ) so i'm going to have to get my own..

re: ram; down here in australia i can fill the entry level ibook with 640mb of ram and a 60gb hard disk for a little less than it would cost to purchase the entry level ibook 900.. if i decide to stick with the 30gb i can do it for at least $200 less..

i don't particularly want to spend $2500, afterall, its only a homework/net surfer/mp3 player, so i have to choose between storage and performance.. eh, bugger it, i'm going with the ram, if i ever get to the point where i've filled 30gig's i'll just update the drive.. or maybe i'll just forgo food and basic hygiene for a few weeks and get the 60gb..
  • Reply 84 of 123
    LowBandwidthMember, I think if you really do have to choose the best thing to do is go for the bigger hard drive. It's a lot easier to add more RAM when you get the cash than it is to upgrade the hard drive. I'm stuck with a little 20 Gig in mine. I have to say that it's best to go with the bigger hard drive and then get more ram when you can get the cash. Just makes sense that way. Good luck with it.8)
  • Reply 85 of 123
    the more i think about it, the more i feel it will be better just to get max disk space and ram when i purchase it.. otherwise i'm going to have to replace something down the line..
  • Reply 86 of 123
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LowBandwidthMember

oh, and when was the ibook last updated?

april 22th 2003, so why not? 900Mhz sounds nice.

or, if you can wait about six months, wait.
  • Reply 87 of 123
    nah, can't wait..

i'll just sell it on ebay in 6 months..

and so, the cycle begins..
  • Reply 88 of 123
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    Sounds like a plan LOwBandwidthMember. Hope you get a nice laptop and who knows, they may really drop a sweet G4 in the iBook someday. Afterall, the 970 is supposed to be 4 times as fast as the current G4. So that pretty much means that they can give the highest power G4 to the iBook without worry that the iBook with overtake the Power Book in performance. I agree with you though, max everything out in the iBook you're buying. You'll get more for it when you sell it on Ebay that way.
  • Reply 89 of 123
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Okay, I've officially gone nuts...

I'd buy one, though.

By the way, the exact dimensions on the body for this one are 8.5x14...exactly the same as a piece of legal-size paper. And the resolution (if I've done the numbers right) is 1365x768. I realize that maybe that would have to be fudged a bit? I don't know about these things. But you'd have the vertical resolution that current iBook, 12" PowerBook and 15" LCD iMac owners/users are accustomed to, so that's no problem. Just a WHOLE lot extra from side to side!

And that ain't bad either because, in addition to a kick-ass DVD viewer, those of us using all these palette-heavy design/graphics apps have PLENTY of room now on the side to stack those little bastards!

Hey, as a matter of fact...BRB

• Reply 90 of 123
    how soon can you have it in production!8)
  • Reply 91 of 123
    pscates, you've outdone yourself with that laptop. I wish it were possible to send Apple designs and have them implimented. Yours is definitely awe inspiring. 8)
  • Reply 92 of 123
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Apple says in their Legal Information that you can send them designs but they will be their property and you wont get anything for it. So just send it to them, i sent them something once and didnt get anything, but maybe they will use my idea for something.

Anyway, that looks sweet, nice job
  • Reply 93 of 123
    there you go pscates, if you want one bad enough you'll have to GIVE Apple the design. You'd think that the least they could do is offer to give you a free one if they make them.
  • Reply 94 of 123
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    OOMMFKNGG!!!! Stevie & Co. better get this into production before someone else does!!! Great job Pscates!!!

one question: what are the price points for the new ibook line.?

Again, GREAT JOB!!!!!
  • Reply 95 of 123
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Looking for a job at Apple pscates? Nice work!
  • Reply 96 of 123
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I concur with everyone else. Great job! You should submit the rendering for consideration. I would by one in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 97 of 123
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

one question: what are the price points for the new ibook line.?

One zillion gabillion dollars. $1499 if you're a student.

Seriously, how the hell do I know?

Somewhere under $1799 I'd HOPE.
  • Reply 98 of 123
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    so pscates, now that you've given us a visual on a killer laptop, care to share details on its components? What's the GPU? Ports? Options? The way I see it, if you're going to come up with such an awesome design you may as well think about what's in it.
  • Reply 99 of 123
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    and prices!!!
  • Reply 100 of 123
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I'll bite!

1 GHz IBM Sahara G3

15.4-inch display at 1280x800

200 MHz bus

1 MB L2 Cache at 1 GHz

64 MB Radeon 9000 Graphics

40 GB HD (60 GB Option)

256 MB RAM Built-In

Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW (32x)

Airport Extreme / Bluetooth

True S-Video Out Port (no adapter required)

Audio Line In

Firewire 400

6-hour lithium-prismatic battery

$1,699