G4 iBook...when do you imagine?

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 123
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

The specs are nice, but I really don't think the iBook is meant for running Illustrator and Photoshop and 5 other apps at the same time. It is capable to do such a thing, and with the G4 it would work well, but it needs to be optimized for CONsumers not PROsumers. That is the main reason to save money on memory options and harddrive speeds. Any big upgrades can come through FW or USB. Consumers need the sub$800 portable with iApps, not Illustrator.

I don't mean throw cold water on this and this iBook would certainly be a very capable machine and put Apple in front of the value curve again, but we need to remember that consumers see price and choice as primary reasons to buy a computer. Prosumers see widescreens and power as the big reasons to buy a computer.

Maybe. But anything with a zippy G3 or G4 is going to "run Illustrator and Photoshop and 5 other apps". Just because the iBook is their "consumer" laptop doesn't mean guys like me can't - and wouldn't - use it.

If it's going to have enough power to handle iPhoto, iMovie and iTunes encoding (not to mention being snappy and responsive enough for OS X/Aqua), then doing graphics, layout, photo-editing, etc. on it is just a nice byproduct or added bonus.

[EDIT: deleted long ramble about "power users" and their distorted perspectives...and making fun of them ]
  • Reply 122 of 123
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    To be bold, I'm going to say the iBook probably won't ever have a G4.
  • Reply 123 of 123
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    You mean Gecko.. Then 970 way down the road? prob. right.