Borg Ships.......Origins ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok: All you Trekkies..

I think I have discovered what might be the mother of all Borg ship designs.

Could it be that the Borg cubes rose out of the an original Startrek episode:

" The Corbomite maneuver "

It was an interesting episode in the way that one of the Cube / Rhomboid ships chased Enterprise...and even though Scotty had those warp engines on max..they just couldn't shake them..eeerily like the original Borg ships in this aspect..

Two interesting ship designs were featured & in my mind at least, may have laid the foundations for all future Borg ship designs.







«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,780member
    Great catch! I've seen that episode but never made that connection...
  • Reply 2 of 42
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Interesting connection. I remember reading in the Star Trek Encyclopaedia, that Rodenberry half-jokingly wondered if the same "machine planet" where V'Ger from Star Trek I came from was the "Borg Homeworld."



    It's too bad that the Borg connection was dropped from the TNG episode "Consipracy". They could have turned that into something that could have been really interesting (instead of having it come off as something like a bad X-Files episode).
  • Reply 3 of 42
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

    It's too bad that the Borg connection was dropped from the TNG episode "Consipracy". They could have turned that into something that could have been really interesting (instead of having it come off as something like a bad X-Files episode).



    Is that the one where the captains are getting blown up and the little critters poke their gill thingies out of people's necks?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aquafire

    Ok: All you Trekkies..

    I think I have discovered what might be the mother of all Borg ship designs.

    Could it be that the Borg cubes rose out of the an original Startrek episode:

    " The Corbolite maneuver "





    "The Corbomite Maneuver"



    Sorry, I know it's trivial, but if you're going to appeal to Trekkies...



    Oh, and very interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind for the next ST movie I write. (I wish)
  • Reply 5 of 42
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    The whole Borg thing continues to fascinate, because it carries a number of inbuilt evolutionary paths regarding Bio-technology,hive mentality, idividuation etc.

    The viral pathogenic attacks by Captain Janeway, were an obvious tactic to use....

    I don't mean any disresepect re Borg Drones..but they always made me laugh..

    You would think that a Borg society that "evolves" by absorbing new technologies, would be in continual state of flux including design. Given what Voyager were able to do for 7 of 9, you'd have to day she looked pretty peachy..& it would have been interesting to see what the Borg of the future could look like....

    They might have evolved into Bjorg perhaps....
  • Reply 6 of 42
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Enterprise already set us up for the proto-borg in this Season 2 episode



    and the other challenging twist in the origin saga is all the time-travelling tweaks that go on
  • Reply 7 of 42
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Some of those geometric solids really got a work out in the original series.... Here, two crewmen got turned into Dodecahedrons..if I am not mistaken...

    And again reflect on the future Borg ship designs.



    from Production episode:50





    .
  • Reply 8 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,780member
    <Trekkie Mode Engaged>



    Curious,



    The Borg originated in the Delta Quadrant, 70,000 light years from Earth. Archer's Enterprise encountered the station virtually in Earth's backyard. How could the station be a proto-Borg?



    <Trekkie Mode OFF>
  • Reply 9 of 42
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    <Trekkie Mode Engaged>



    Curious,



    The Borg originated in the Delta Quadrant, 70,000 light years from Earth. Archer's Enterprise encountered the station virtually in Earth's backyard. How could the station be a proto-Borg?



    <Trekkie Mode OFF>




    Can't answer as I haven't seen the episode yet..



    Sadly in Oz we're at least 1 light-year behind the rest of your trekkies..

    Real depressing......

    Can you believe it "Voyager's " last series is yet to be shown here..

    let alone the chapter of Enterprise you are refering too..

    And too think the good olde Rupert Murdoch ( News Corp ) started his empire in my home town too..

    What a total shit....

    They're all sports / beer mad out here.....
  • Reply 10 of 42
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aquafire

    Can't answer as I haven't seen the episode yet..



    Sadly in Oz we're at least 1 light-year behind the rest of your trekkies..

    Real depressing......

    Can you believe it "Voyager's " last series is yet to be shown here..

    let alone the chapter of Enterprise you are refering too..

    And too think the good olde Rupert Murdoch ( News Corp ) started his empire in my home town too..

    What a total shit....

    They're all sports / beer mad out here.....




    Oz? You're in prison?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aquafire

    Some of those geometric solids really got a work out in the original series.... Here, two crewmen got turned into Dodecahedrons..if I am not mistaken...

    And again reflect on the future Borg ship designs.



    from Production episode:50





    .




    Are you sure those aren't the new Powermac prototypes that MOSR talked about some time ago?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,261member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pyr3

    Oz? You're in prison?



    Well, he has been over in Suggestions, posting away like something was stuck up his butt...



  • Reply 13 of 42
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Earl

    Well, he has been over in Suggestions, posting away like something was stuck up his butt...











    Yeah....No kidding..... An oversized Moose has been shoving it where he shouldn't either !:
  • Reply 14 of 42
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by midwinter

    Is that the one where the captains are getting blown up and the little critters poke their gill thingies out of people's necks?



    Yup, that's the one. I remember when I first saw that when I was in the fifth grade. Scared the sh!t out of me...
  • Reply 15 of 42
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rampancy

    Yup, that's the one. I remember when I first saw that when I was in the fifth grade. Scared the sh!t out of me...



    Holy Cow..You must be 10 years old !
  • Reply 16 of 42
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    <Trekkie Mode Engaged>



    Curious,



    The Borg originated in the Delta Quadrant, 70,000 light years from Earth. Archer's Enterprise encountered the station virtually in Earth's backyard. How could the station be a proto-Borg?



    <Trekkie Mode OFF>




    This link covers that.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,780member
    From suggested link:



    IMO it would have been much cooler to leave us with the uncertain impression that the "automatic, self-repairing, cyborg CPU'd spacedock garage" Archer's gang ran into in season one were the predecessors of the Borg. (Delta Quadrant origins hundreds of years later notwithstanding... maybe they got yanked by Voyager's Caretaker.)



    Sorry, but that makes no sense. The Caretaker wasn't looking for a 'compatible replacement" for 200 years, and even if he were, I doubt he'd abduct a "automatic, self-repairing, cyborg CPU'd spacedock garage"



    It would be great to have an episode on the origins of the Borg. If humanity played a role in their creation it would explain a lot about why they're fixated on assimilating the Federation (and ignoring the Romulans, Cardassians, Bajorans, Breen and everyone else in the Alpha Quadrant.)



    But the Federation's greatest enemy did not evolve from a automatic space garage.



    And anyone who says they did should be banned from watching any Star Trek series.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    From suggested link:



    IMO it would have been much cooler to leave us with the uncertain impression that the "automatic, self-repairing, cyborg CPU'd spacedock garage" Archer's gang ran into in season one were the predecessors of the Borg. (Delta Quadrant origins hundreds of years later notwithstanding... maybe they got yanked by Voyager's Caretaker.)



    Sorry, but that makes no sense. The Caretaker wasn't looking for a 'compatible replacement" for 200 years, and even if he were, I doubt he'd abduct a "automatic, self-repairing, cyborg CPU'd spacedock garage"



    It would be great to have an episode on the origins of the Borg. If humanity played a role in their creation it would explain a lot about why they're fixated on assimilating the Federation (and ignoring the Romulans, Cardassians, Bajorans, Breen and everyone else in the Alpha Quadrant.)



    But the Federation's greatest enemy did not evolve from a automatic space garage.



    And anyone who says they did should be banned from watching any Star Trek series.




    possible alternative origins of the cyborg...



    Steve Austin - $6M man of retro TV fame (spoofed in new AOL ads)

    Kevin Warwick - University of Reading in the UK... already wired and spawning a series of cyborgwatch web sites

    Steve Mann - wearable computer researcher at U of T



    many have proposed MicroSoft as the proto-Borg,

    assimilating technology and making resistance to spam and viruses futile



    True props should probably go to Mary Shelley, though.



    historical cyborgy (with images) here
  • Reply 19 of 42
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    OMG I am enjoying this stuff..

    I think I am coming down with an incurable case of Trekkism...

    It's a real viral fever........
  • Reply 20 of 42
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rampancy

    It's too bad that the Borg connection was dropped from the TNG episode "Consipracy". They could have turned that into something that could have been really interesting (instead of having it come off as something like a bad X-Files episode).



    I thought that was a really cool episode- a burgeoning storyline that never got revisited. I wouldn't want the Borg to be tied into that. This was a compelling new enemy all in its own.
Sign In or Register to comment.