'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 (with Pictures)

Comments

• Reply 121 of 148
    Yes, but it was very different. It was "sketched" in the style of the Picasso Mac.

• Reply 122 of 148
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mekhanes

hmmm...

Does anyone remember the Logo for the Newton?

Wasn't it a light-bulb?

oh crap, why did someone have to bring that up..? now my wheels are REALLY turning!

but steve has said apple cannot add value to the pda realm until he's been blue in the face (well, more like a purplish rage). steve has hinted at things, but has he ever flat-out denied something, then turned around and went ta-daa!
  • Reply 123 of 148
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

This disc in the icon is (slightly angled).

Aye, but it's not the same exact angle.
  • Reply 125 of 148
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    at first i thought that somebody has made a mockup. probably just using photoshop for designing the icon and settting the text on the front cover. it could even have been done as a cheap chop in one of those shareware aquafier apps or plugins.

anyway, the copy is set badly ... crap kerning etc. points to it being done either by somebody who isn't using quark/illustrator/indesign ... or doesnt know their typographic rules as they should. then they did a few variants of the layout and printed out a copy on an A3 inkjet, and stuck it to an empty box. We do it all the time for product mockups at work... cheaper than a wet proof and looks like the real thing for product shots and point of sale design.

some quick digital photos later, and we have shots of kosher packaging. the unusual flaring of the flash burnout made me think the paper might be inkjet stock, which is shiny and has a wider specular highlight than the kind of boxboard or display card used for such products. it being an inkjet run-out might also suggest why some people have commented on there being no halftone patterns on the alledgedly scanned a/w. unless apple uses some mad straight to plate stocastic litho solution or something

then i thought they'd seen an apple product box and realised that there is more than just an apple logo on the spine ... there should also be the product name. so i think the culprit then PS'd that copy on the side. hence the really bad text antialiasing on the bold, and the dispro'd lighter copy. PS is crap at handling transformed antialiased text sometimes, as has been pointed out before.

anyway, all those theories are interesting, but after staring at the pics more i am thinking that it looks more likely to have been photoshopped from scratch. i am intrigued by the logo itself though, and wonder if the following from toptechtips could shed light (no pun intended) ..
    Quote:

This also explains why the logo and type size are a little different. This is not a box, and this is not the Pal packaging - it's in store POS Don't ask me how I know all this - I just know

so NOW i'm wondering if there is a wee bit of truth to this ... mebbe some eager beaver (a junior designer or intern) somewhere has seen a single point of sale item and has managed to take a photo of it. possibly just the logo. after, even if chiat day or apple do all this kind of design in-house they would probably outsource at some point in the chain ... for digital mockups or similar. still might explain the lack of halftoning etc. then this eager beaver has decided to perk up the rumours with some homemade packaging and promotional material. their lack of copy-writing and extreme photoshopping skills leaves flaws that countless eagle eyed readers here have found.

Oh i dunno, mebbe i need to sleep on this, and then rinse them through photoshop tomorrow at work. i'd be interested to see what the same copy looks like set in adobe myriad pro and non-pro, in photoshop. and i'd be interested in looking at those burn out shots more, and the suspiciously regular gradients on the front of the box. anyone run those through PS yet and looked at the images hi-res to see relative colour values in different channels?

ah, too much rabid speculation. i'm off to bed
  • Reply 126 of 148
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

oh crap, why did someone have to bring that up..? now my wheels are REALLY turning!

Wasn't that brought up like the first or second page? That's one of the first things I thought of, which makes me further think it's a hoax, because Apple knows the recognition of the Newton logo being a lightbulb. Why would they use another lightbulb?
  • Reply 127 of 148
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Pal as a thin client sounds unlikely, but cool. It's something I would purchase, especially if it allowed me to select among my macs.
  • Reply 128 of 148
    I still don't know what it does. O_o
  • Reply 129 of 148
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Wasn't that brought up like the first or second page? That's one of the first things I thought of, which makes me further think it's a hoax, because Apple knows the recognition of the Newton logo being a lightbulb. Why would they use another lightbulb?

ya but the newton is not a product anymore that was like 10 years ago, so they could use it, and it is a little different anyway
  • Reply 130 of 148
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I realize how long ago it was and that it is different and all, but Apple knows how Mac-nuts are. It just seems that they'd be hesitant to use a light bulb.
  • Reply 131 of 148
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    We will never know if this is real or not unless it comes out, we will just have to wait till after panther comes out
  • Reply 132 of 148
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

This "Pal" icon doesn't tell you anything about the software's job or capabilities.

You can say the exact same thing about the image on the .Mac box. Funny how Apple allowed that to slip through ...
  • Reply 133 of 148
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nonsuch

You can say the exact same thing about the image on the .Mac box. Funny how Apple allowed that to slip through ...

Actually, the .mac item symbolizes a hub with connections, like the internet is.
  • Reply 134 of 148
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Actually, the .mac item symbolizes a hub with connections, like the internet is.

Oh, I thought it was a fortune tellers cristal ball.

Well, not very telling anyway IMHO.
  • Reply 135 of 148
    Strange angle photo's + Pictures now been pulled yet = Obviously fake.
  • Reply 136 of 148
    webflitswebflits Posts: 58member
    My first post

Lets assume that this "Pal" thing is for real.

I think that "Pal" is a thinclient device especially for OSX.

That would also explain the 10.3 requirements since you would need multiple simultaneous logins (new 10.3 feature?) to make it practical.

This device probably has Quartz build-in, the host computer only has to route the Quartz drawing commands to the "Pal" device so it wil be fast even on slow network connections.

Airport Extreme (and Ethernet?) build-in, touchscreen/pen based interface.

Think of the possibilities of such a device!

Full access (Forget Disks, Forget Syncing) to your computer(s) from any WiFi (Connect over the air) hotspot.

Another advantage, such device does not need a harddisk or huge amounts of memory, it 'll be a lot cheaper than a tablet PC.
  • Reply 137 of 148
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Welcome WebFlits.

I like what you have to say but I am not sure if todays bandwith could really handle that.
  • Reply 138 of 148
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WebFlits

I think that "Pal" is a thinclient device especially for OSX. ...

This device probably has Quartz build-in, the host computer only has to route the Quartz drawing commands to the "Pal" device so it wil be fast even on slow network connections. Airport Extreme (and Ethernet?) build-in, touchscreen/pen based interface.

Welcome to AI, WebFlits.

What a wonderful thingie this would be. But unfortunately too good to be true.
  • Reply 139 of 148
    webflitswebflits Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Welcome WebFlits.

I like what you have to say but I am not sure if todays bandwith could really handle that.

Why not?

You can use VNC on a 64Kb ISDN connection and THAT uses compressed bitmaps. WiFi hotspots have a lot more bandwith.

When the host sends Quartz commands to the "Pal" device there's no need to send huge bitmaps!
  • Reply 140 of 148
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

http://www.toptechtips.net/modules....article&sid=457

The reason they called it Pal rather than iPal is because it's a whole new product category (think Newton, Pipin etc) which is designed to work with both the consumer and pro range. This also explains why the logo and type size are a little different.

I think this makes no sense as the iPod isn't particularly a consumer-only device and it was as "new" a product category for Apple as anything else.