New Powerbooks + iBooks 6. nov!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    [quote]Originally posted by FlashGordon:

<strong>

Read the whole post if you are going to flame me jack ass. The april 29th update did not meet my expectations, so I waited...and waited...and waited...and now I get 133 mhz, and thats it. And I did not say anything about the cycle, I am aware of the 6 month Apple trend, just not the 6 months and ONLY 16% clock increase and bluetooth(worthless to 90% of people including myself)trend. Now do you understand what I meant and why I am disapointed or do I need to explain it some more for you, Nebrie?

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: FlashGordon ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

While 1

{

printf("Waiting for powerbook\

");

}

Seems to me like there's no exit case in the way you're operating Flash...

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: off/lang ]</p>
  • Reply 42 of 153
    The iBook is effectively a $300 price cut for the midrange model, if the Think Secret report is correct -- $200 in real money, plus $100 in moving to a "bigger hard drive" which I would assume to be the 30GB which is currently a $100 option.

It's a very good move for the iBook line; if they seem hung up on the MHz issue with the PowerBook, at least they're doing the next best thing and pricing the iBook appropriately and reasonably competitively.

I'm more sure than ever that the G4 is turning out to be rather like the Pentium 4-M in terms of heat and power usage -- there's simply no way of sticking 1GHz to 1.2GHz chips in that tiny titanium case without melting it. So, barring a major development on the processor front, Apple would have to relegate the TiBook to midrage status and bring out a new eight pound model for power users with a faster processor and a bigger cooling fan. We'll see what's in store next summer.
  • Reply 43 of 153
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

Is it just me or does anyone else not get excited by Bluetooth?

If this article is correct and if Bluetooth is "the feature" reason to upgrade to the new Powerbooks, I'll pass.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm with you, especially when you can buy a USB Bluetooth adaptor like the D-Link or Palladio for around £45 anyway.
  • Reply 44 of 153
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by photoeditor:

<strong>

It's a very good move for the iBook line; if they seem hung up on the MHz issue with the PowerBook, at least they're doing the next best thing and pricing the iBook appropriately and reasonably competitively.

I'm more sure than ever that the G4 is turning out to be rather like the Pentium 4-M in terms of heat and power usage -- there's simply no way of sticking 1GHz to 1.2GHz chips in that tiny titanium case without melting it. So, barring a major development on the processor front, Apple would have to relegate the TiBook to midrage status and bring out a new eight pound model for power users with a faster processor and a bigger cooling fan. We'll see what's in store next summer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While I welcome any price cut, as outlined at ThinkSecret, I'm still not convinced about the G3 chip. If I'm finding a 700 G4 iMac to be barely usable in OSX, I'm not sure I'd want a G3 700 or even 800 iBook.

But you've got a point given that Powerbooks will remain relatively slow in the G4 line and hence restricts the possibility of the iBooks going there.
  • Reply 45 of 153
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If the Think Secret report is true (and they've been pretty good) then the strategy for the PowerBooks might mirror the strategy for the iBooks: A modest upgrade combined with a significant price cut.

They've done it before with the PowerBooks. Right about this time of year, if memory serves.
  • Reply 46 of 153
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

:eek: Competitive pricing from Apple?</strong><hr></blockquote>

ahem.... told you so
  • Reply 47 of 153
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member

<strong>

While I welcome any price cut, as outlined at ThinkSecret, I'm still not convinced about the G3 chip. If I'm finding a 700 G4 iMac to be barely usable in OSX, I'm not sure I'd want a G3 700 or even 800 iBook.

But you've got a point given that Powerbooks will remain relatively slow in the G4 line and hence restricts the possibility of the iBooks going there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

We haven't seen the new iBook so we can't evaluate it, however, you have to consider more than the processor. Cache size, hard drive performance, video card and such will also have major effects on real world performance.

It is becoming a tired discussion point but a lot OS X is actually quite fast while the GUI tends to drag. Applescript, networking, file copies and such are quite fast. Window resizing and scrolling could be better. This is also very subjective. When I played with the current 700MHz iBook at an Apple Store it seemed quite usable. An 800MHz iBook with a better graphics card and hard drive will be even better.
  • Reply 48 of 153
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>

When I played with the current 700MHz iBook at an Apple Store it seemed quite usable. An 800MHz iBook with a better graphics card and hard drive will be even better.</strong><hr></blockquote>

buying a machine a year after OS X 's release and describing it as seeming "quite usable" is pathetic.

at this point in time OS X's performance on new machines should be a non-issue.... but unfortunately it still is... especially on the G3 based iBook line.
  • Reply 49 of 153
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>

If this article is correct and if Bluetooth is "the feature" reason to upgrade to the new Powerbooks, I'll pass.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't believe it but I'm responding to my own post. But furthermore, the least they could do is to give any new Powerbook a 167mhz bus speed to further differentiate it from the current offerings.

In other words, the key differences would be:

-faster cpu

-faster bus

-bluetooth built-in

-better video card

-firewire 2 (doubt it)

-usb2 (really doubt it)
  • Reply 50 of 153
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by FlashGordon:

<strong>

Read the whole post if you are going to flame me jack ass. The april 29th update did not meet my expectations, so I waited...and waited...and waited...and now I get 133 mhz, and thats it. And I did not say anything about the cycle, I am aware of the 6 month Apple trend, just not the 6 months and ONLY 16% clock increase and bluetooth(worthless to 90% of people including myself)trend. Now do you understand what I meant and why I am disapointed or do I need to explain it some more for you, Nebrie?

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: FlashGordon ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Go buy a PC and some medication, you need them both.
  • Reply 51 of 153
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>

Go buy a PC and some medication, you need them both.</strong><hr></blockquote>

does tha help or solve anything..... there's nothing stupider than someone whining about a product before it is even released except for maybe someone who makes posts like you just did.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Is 'stupider' a word? hehe

Also, sad, that TS didn't mention price cuts for the PB Nice to see on the iBook, should really do well to move a lot of those, but why not the same for te PB? Apple seems to be making consumer items better priced then the pros. I guess they think pros have more cash to spend.
  • Reply 53 of 153
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I hope they lower the price on the PowerBook. It should be $1999 and $2599. Not $2599 and $3199. I would like to add that I would appreciate a PowerBook that is smaller, in size. Like a 14 inch screen as opposed to a 15 incher.
  • Reply 54 of 153
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>I hope they lower the price on the PowerBook. It should be $1999 and $2599. Not $2599 and $3199. I would like to add that I would appreciate a PowerBook that is smaller, in size. Like a 14 inch screen as opposed to a 15 incher.</strong><hr></blockquote>

then why dont you get a 14" iBook, seems like what you want
  • Reply 55 of 153
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Is 'stupider' a word? hehe

</strong><hr></blockquote>

of course it is
  • Reply 56 of 153
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>I hope they lower the price on the PowerBook. It should be $1999 and $2599. Not $2599 and $3199. I would like to add that I would appreciate a PowerBook that is smaller, in size. Like a 14 inch screen as opposed to a 15 incher.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be sweet, then I could get the high end for the lowend price.
  • Reply 57 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

buying a machine a year after OS X 's release and describing it as seeming "quite usable" is pathetic.

at this point in time OS X's performance on new machines should be a non-issue.... but unfortunately it still is... especially on the G3 based iBook line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I tend to blame OS X for this more than anything. As OS X is barely 1.5 year's old, it isn't so surprising though.
  • Reply 58 of 153
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

The upgraded PowerBooks will stick with the existing ATI 7500 Mobility Radeon graphics rather than upgrading to the more powerful ATI 9500 Mobility system

There is no such thing as a Radeon 9500 mobile, at least as of now. The current top-of-the-line mobile GPU from ATI is the Radeon 9000 mobile, according to their website.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 59 of 153
    [quote]Originally posted by Ensign Pulver:

<strong>

4. Improved DVD playback

How in the world are 64MB of VRAM going to improve your DVD playback, of all things?

[quote]<strong>

Oh, and

8. "128k ought to be enough for anybody" and similar past ridiculous statements regarding current technology supposedly reaching its effective limit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, it was 640k, not 128k.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 60 of 153
    frostfrost Posts: 18member

<strong>

When Apple swiched from ADB to USB I didn't see the point. I figured back then that they should skip USB and go straight to firewire. Today I have a USB scroll optical mouse, joystick. graphics pad, USB printer, compact flash card reader, and a mytv2go.

I had a system with firewire for about a year before I had any devices. Today I have an iPod and 2 firewire drives.

Bluetooth may be like infrared. I have had 2 laptops with infrared and never used it.

I don't have any plans for any bluetooth devices currently, well maybe a cellphone some day. However, I didn't have any plans for USB or Firewire either. Will bluetooth devices be useful? Most things you can do with bluetooth you probably can do with a USB cable. If I look under, my desk I realize that I don't really want more cables. You never know, but it has to start somewhere. Becoming a standard part gives it a shot at being used.