AI gets in on the action

1131415161719»

Comments

• Reply 361 of 375
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Can somebody please rename this thread "The New Freaky Gyroscopic Display Thread".
  • Reply 362 of 375
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

You're right about precession. ... only we use gravity and an anchor point to the rope at the top of the gyro housing to replace the tail rotor. The gyro wouldn't get very far, but it would be trying to roll its way up along the rope (due to torque-not precession).

In your example AirSluf, the rope could counteract the torque of driving the gyro, but precession would stil cause it to rotate. In helicopters the "swash plate" (at the top of the mast) utilizes ...

Oh forget it. I really would love to go on, as flying is a big part of my life, but lets just leave it that it's not that great of an idea to use gyroscopes in the manner proposed (but I'll give bonus points to anyone who can accurately describe what the little ball does in the gyro image).

Aussie John started this with: "how about a horizontal flywheel spinning at the base of a monitor stand- the gyroscopic effect would stop it tipping over."

To possibly nudge this back on topic ~ Appleinsider has indeed jumped into the WWDC rumor whirlwind with it's most recent pages. The whole Smeagol/Gollom thing coupled with a JYDesque cantina scene is hilarious.

If they (the infinite monkey typists) hit paydirt maybe we'll even see some more cool front pages. Of course if it tanks, and Apple doesn't come close to these projections will all go back to ignoring what happens in the front of this site.

The downside being of course that if Appleinsider tanks ~ so does Apple. They are cutting it very close and need a mega-hit right now. Any further delay to the next generation Macintosh will be a disaster.

I want to believe, and my APPL stock holdings depend on it.

Aphelion ...
  • Reply 363 of 375
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

To possibly nudge this back on topic...

Yeah, seriously. I mean, no sooner do I post a great bit on AppleOffice that has lots of potential for speculation and pulling wierd things out of strange orifices, then some wackos start spouting off on gyroscopes.

Come on. Where's the love?

-DCQ
  • Reply 364 of 375
    Quote:

(but I'll give bonus points to anyone who can accurately describe what the little ball does in the gyro image).

Been a long time since college physics, but if I remember correctly, there is a momentum causing the sphere to rotate "pole-over-pole", or perpendicular to it's polar axis. The hanging ball counters this force by having exactly the right mass to keep the sphere from rotating.

Not very accurately described, and maybe even wrong, but physics was a favorite of mine so I had to give it a shot.
  • Reply 365 of 375
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    have not had time to post the last few days...

Ummmm did AI do an article on gyroscopes? I was quite sure it was about the G5... guess I need to stop going out and drinking so much...man this is appleinsider right?

• Reply 366 of 375
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    For anyone that has any thoughts on the possible AppleOffice, I started a thread in Software, since gyroscopes seems to have killed this thread.

go here
  • Reply 367 of 375
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1126732,00.asp

It seems that Apple is claiming the AI article contains "trade secrets"

• Reply 368 of 375
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What did it say that made Apple lawyers go wacky?
  • Reply 369 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

WWDC pushed back a month

Said chip runs 64 bit

This conference is for "developers"

Apple would love for developers to start writing software for this chip in 64 bit

Sorry. Without even taking into consideration my own sources info...we will see the 970 at WWDC. Apple needs it.

One thing I am wondering about is if Apple will launch the machine to give developers some time to get software ready to go at the launch of Panther. While the big guys perhaps have been given some info, Apple can't / won't issue test units for all the developers who will need it, not to mention keeping a secret until the big launch date. Now I wonder do you think there will be a general ADC beta of Panther, or even a public beta for the three months or so till launch (or even the last month or so?). The motive for getting machines into the hands of the devs is a worthy goal, but without an OS I don't see what it'll do to get 64 bit apps popping up when Panther premieres
  • Reply 370 of 375
    Moving to TI...
  • Reply 371 of 375
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

One thing I am wondering about is if Apple will launch the machine to give developers some time to get software ready to go at the launch of Panther. While the big guys perhaps have been given some info, Apple can't / won't issue test units for all the developers who will need it, not to mention keeping a secret until the big launch date. Now I wonder do you think there will be a general ADC beta of Panther, or even a public beta for the three months or so till launch (or even the last month or so?). The motive for getting machines into the hands of the devs is a worthy goal, but without an OS I don't see what it'll do to get 64 bit apps popping up when Panther premieres

If I remember right, all ADC members in attendance will get a beta copy of Panther.
  • Reply 372 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

If I remember right, all ADC members in attendance will get a beta copy of Panther.

And what will they run it on?
  • Reply 373 of 375
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Are you REALLY suggesting that Panther will ONLY run on the PPC970? Please don't tell me you really think that...
  • Reply 374 of 375
    Quote:

Beta versions of the Powermac G5, of course!
  • Reply 375 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Are you REALLY suggesting that Panther will ONLY run on the PPC970? Please don't tell me you really think that...

Panther will RUN on current Macintoshes but developers are a forward looking group and they will need "future hardware" to develop for. Even for their 32 bit code, they, more than anyone, will need the new hardware to run their code on.

Whether they are developer's "seed" machines or production Macs, IBM 970's will be available for developers at WWDC.

Aphelion ...