eWeek article on Smeagol and Q37

Comments

• Reply 161 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Of course there is no information about the 970 supporting HyperTransport either. Or is there something you want to share with us?

(Moki, you still haven't responded to my list of 8 items, above).

Nervous AMD reps holding him back.
  • Reply 162 of 401
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

You are pushing people to one corner and then to another corner Mr. Moki

Actually I don't think he is. Let's apply a little logic. (Oh wait, this is a rumor form, I almost forgot).

Anyway I listed a total of 11 points or predictions. Moki took three of those and said I would "be disappointed".

Okay, then looking at those 3 points. I am guessing that Moki is implying that most likely my "time-table" for those 3 items at least, was a bit too ambitious.

So maybe this means that my other points in general may have some validity, but that things might not happen quite as quick as expected.

Hmm! So, WWDC may not be as much as the most optimistic expect because reality is moving a little slower then the rumor boards have indicated. Hmmm! Guess I might need to have a little more patience.

As far as dissapointment goes, it will only be because I can't afford the latest and greatest (whatever it might be) right away anyway. I figure the current top of the line is up to 3.5 times faster then what I have now (Power Mac 800 single), so anything better then that just sweetens the pot.

More importantly, it gives me more time to save up.
  • Reply 163 of 401
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Moki is the anti-kormac.
  • Reply 164 of 401
    jrgjrg Posts: 58member
    I can think of one reason why Apple are building large quantities now for a release in, say, late August to September. They don't want to sacrifice margins to air freighting machines over the pacific.

Given that it takes 3(?) weeks to get stuff shipped from Taiwan to West Coast USA (inc inspections etc), and there will probably be a large initial demand for the product, they want to have the supply lines already cranking with a few containers arriving a week to feed the demand. To get any kinks out of the production process, the assemblers require time to fine tune their processes.

So Apple are giving them time to do their thing and time to ship instead of fly their product in to fill the initial avalanche of orders. Means we have to wait a little longer.
  • Reply 165 of 401
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    i alway thought that last minute ship deal ate up profits...

and these things are HEAVY unlike an Ipod
  • Reply 166 of 401
    Quote:

Of course there is no information about the 970 supporting HyperTransport either. Or is there something you want to share with us?

(Moki, you still haven't responded to my list of 8 items, above).

Wouldn't that really be a huge kick in the nuts if Smeagol was an OS X release for Opteron and that the 970 would wait for Jaguar in September?
  • Reply 167 of 401
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

Do we know this for certain? I haven't seen anything other than rumors that says that the 970 really is in production right now.

(snip)

I think I can safely say they are, and you're right ... you probably won't see anything but rumors for a little bit ... anyways ... FWIW
  • Reply 168 of 401
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I'm laughin' my head off. You're such a tease. Talk about putting the 'squeeze' on.

Drip, drip...drip...

I c-can't take it anymore...RAHAHAHHAHHHHH....gibber...

moki and chinese torture.

The sign of a really 'neat' rumour site.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 169 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Moki is the anti-kormac.

• Reply 170 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

You are pushing people to one corner and then to another corner Mr. Moki

Didnt I say he was an evil man?? -Seems like Moki has gotten an overdose of Steve's Reality Distortion Field..

Quote:

Originally posted by moki

How strange, HyperTransport isn't supported by the G4!

HmMmm... So if we expect you not to be sandbagging, do you say that we get an updated 2.0 Ghz G4 75xx now...?

WITH Hypertransport/PIE/Whatever?
  • Reply 171 of 401
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Do you think moki really does know, or just having a little fun with everyone?

I could imagine this sort of info is NDA'd tighter than a mermaid's brassiere and even giving "non-info" in the form of cryptic hints would amount to talking about it, which is what an NDA expressly forbids.

Of course, moki may have got some info through non NDA means - chatting to programmer mates perhaps - but talking about it would still raise the ire of Apple, and presumably it's in the el Presidente's interest to stay on their good side (you know, to have Snapz Pro bundled on the G5s which aren't going to be announced).

Whatever, I'm still waiting for the x86 Macs.
  • Reply 172 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

Well.. Maybe he's just saying what he expect... Not what he knows.. Afterall, he's also mortal and not one of Steve's personal fairy's.. Atleast not what we know of..
  • Reply 173 of 401
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Anyway I listed a total of 11 points or predictions. Moki took three of those and said I would "be disappointed".

Okay, then looking at those 3 points. I am guessing that Moki is implying that most likely my "time-table" for those 3 items at least, was a bit too ambitious.

Your timetable has 970's shipping in July, which strikes me as optimistic (just like most of the rumour mill currently seems to be). I've been thinking Aug-Sept for a long time, and I think last year Moki was saying September. We've heard that the 970 is doing well so there's no reason to think that the original schedule has slipped... except that Moki told you that you were setting yourself up for "big disappointment". Now is "big" just because you're so wound up, or is it "big" because you're way off?

Moki, I must insist that you try to be a little more precise. If you're going to drop bread crumbs, at least try to do it in a non-ambiguous fashion!
  • Reply 174 of 401
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I think the odds of the 970 showing up at WWDC are 100%. There's no other way.

The question is whether [PPC 970 PowerMacs] are introduced formally, shipping within months or weeks or days, or whether they're snuck in as a "hypothetical" 64 bit platform at the Panther demo and perhaps shown off to a few high-powered developers in private.

Remember, the "sneaking in" described by Amorph is exactly what happened with the first Dual Processor PowerMacs. DP G4 systems were demo'ed "behind closed doors" at WWDC in May 2000. But DP G4 systems weren't officially announced until MWNY in July and didn't ship until August that year. It took 3 months from first demo to availability of DP G4 PowerMacs! History has a habit of repeating itself, even at Apple.

I know Apple is doing everything in its power to do better than that. That's also why they delayed WWDC 2003 by a month. But "only" a demo of the 970 at WWDC is still a distinct possibility.

Escher
  • Reply 175 of 401
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Your timetable has 970's shipping in July, which strikes me as optimistic (just like most of the rumour mill currently seems to be). I've been thinking Aug-Sept for a long time, and I think last year Moki was saying September. We've heard that the 970 is doing well so there's no reason to think that the original schedule has slipped... except that Moki told you that you were setting yourself up for "big disappointment". Now is "big" just because you're so wound up, or is it "big" because you're way off?

Moki, I must insist that you try to be a little more precise. If you're going to drop bread crumbs, at least try to do it in a non-ambiguous fashion!

It seems that Moki like to play with us like a cat with mices.
  • Reply 176 of 401
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

I think that moki is Steve's personal ambassador to these boards. It seems like every time the there is a wave of pessimism Moki starts with the "wwdc is going to be quite a show!" stuff and now when there is optimism he is there to throw water on it. Of course it could just be that he is a little more level headed then the rest of us (Programmer maybe excepted).

I do find it a little suspecious that, with absolutely no leaks coming out of places where lots of people certainly have lots of information (e.g., IBM) moki feels free not only to give us these tidbits but to sign his real name to them.
  • Reply 177 of 401
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Right September or Fall was the original release date. However, that was before smeagol. If smeagol is for the 970s, why release it if you don't plan to release the 970s until fall which is also when Panther is released? If smeagol and it's purpose is real, the the 970s being released early are as well.

Unless, of course, smeagol is only for developers to test and run 970s.
  • Reply 178 of 401
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I do find it a little suspecious that, with absolutely no leaks coming out of places where lots of people certainly have lots of information (e.g., IBM) moki feels free not only to give us these tidbits but to sign his real name to them.

If he reports what he hears second or third hand, and he doesn't violate any NDA's the he's signed (or, if he hasn't signed any NDA's in the first place) then he has nothing to fear from Apple.

If he's not careful, he could endanger one of his "sources" by revealing too much information too soon, but that doesn't seem to be a problem - certainly not if the reactions to his posts in this thread are any indication!
  • Reply 179 of 401
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Right September or Fall was the original release date. However, that was before smeagol. If smeagol is for the 970s, why release it if you don't plan to release the 970s until fall which is also when Panther is released? If smeagol and it's purpose is real, the the 970s being released early are as well.

Unless, of course, smeagol is only for developers to test and run 970s.

Or, unless Panther's run into delays, and it won't appear until late fall or so.

Yikes! wasn't the first oh-crap-we-need-something-now project from Apple, and it won't be the last either.
  • Reply 180 of 401
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Or, unless Panther's run into delays, and it won't appear until late fall or so.

Yikes! wasn't the first oh-crap-we-need-something-now project from Apple, and it won't be the last either.

But hasn't Apple publicly stated a fall release for Panther? If not, I'm sure we'll get a formal release date or month at the WWDC. I don't think Apple would be late on Panther so I'm not sure the likelyhood of smeagol being a yikes! OS. Hope not anyway