970... Which is the better option?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I just thought this (and I really don't know): is there any chance that somehow, someway Panther is actually ready to go? And that, in itself, is one of the big surprises of WWDC?

I don't know, was just thinking out loud...
  • Reply 62 of 94
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    No way will (nor should) Apple ship Panther without seeding to developers first. Assuming they come out at WWDC, 970s will ship with 10.2.7.
  • Reply 63 of 94
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's what I thought

Just going out on a limb and wondering "what if...", even though I kinda already knew the answer.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 65 of 94
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

and if, "ifs and buts, were beer and nuts we would have ourselves one heck of a party." Should is irrelevant in this case.

if apple does not release a 970 machine with 10.2.7 at wwdc and waits until panther then guess what? Apple will be going a whole quarter without a sellable powermac machine. (Assuming panther is not

they've gone 4 years without a sellable powermac machine... whats another 2 months?
  • Reply 66 of 94
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

they've gone 4 years without a sellable powermac machine... whats another 2 months?

Four years ago Apple was selling B&W G3 Power Macs. Three and a half years ago they were selling 500 MHz AGP G4 Power Macs. Those were both very "sellable."
  • Reply 67 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Four years ago Apple was selling B&W G3 Power Macs. Three and a half years ago they were selling 500 MHz AGP G4 Power Macs. Those were both very "sellable."

aug 1999 PowerMac G4 was released. It did not sell as well as the Beige G3s when they were first introduced.

2000 and after powermac sales tanked and just kept going lower and lower

they have been unsellable for 4 years
  • Reply 68 of 94
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

aug 1999 PowerMac G4 was released. It did not sell as well as the Beige G3s when they were first introduced.

But if you wanted a desktop Mac - or for that matter, a production Mac - you had no choice but to buy the beige G3. The PowerMac G4 was bracketed by the iMac and the insurgent PowerBook.

Of course, the fact that it was introduced to the world with a faceplant (the speed dump) can't have helped.

Still, I'd have to say they didn't start tanking until it was clear that the G4's problems didn't end with the speed dump.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

But if you wanted a desktop Mac - or for that matter, a production Mac - you had no choice but to buy the beige G3. The PowerMac G4 was bracketed by the iMac and the insurgent PowerBook.

Of course, the fact that it was introduced to the world with a faceplant (the speed dump) can't have helped.

Still, I'd have to say they didn't start tanking until it was clear that the G4's problems didn't end with the speed dump.

This is the exact point I was going to make, the beige G3s had nothing to compete with.

Listen, I'm not saying the G4s haven't languished horribly for far too long, but for their first 12 or 18 months they were excellent machines.

As soon as the G5s get here we'll all be happy. 8)
  • Reply 70 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

There is one at work every day, and I think its ugly. Looks a lot like the Volvo SUV (also at work, in the parking lot). I wish Porsche had never made it -- stick to what they know and are known for.

I agree. The photos are ugly and the vehicle is even uglier in person. A 911 with a big maw of a mouth. This thing is definitely the ugliest SUV to be released to market since the Pontiac Aztek, a vehicle for which GM should be fined for committing a crime against the human race.

The Cayenne was co-developed with Volkswagen, which will release their version, the Touareg. Now from the pictures, *that* one is sweet-looking. (And the reviews have been stellar, too.)

But speaking of the 970, if one is in a new revision of the iMac with a 19" screen, I am so there.
  • Reply 71 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent

I agree. The photos are ugly and the vehicle is even uglier in person. A 911 with a big maw of a mouth. This thing is definitely the ugliest SUV to be released to market since the Pontiac Aztek, a vehicle for which GM should be fined for committing a crime against the human race.

Contributing to this OT discussion, yes the Cayenne could have been a lot better, but comparing it to the Pontiac Aztek is far, far too harsh. That Aztek thing is mind-numbingly hideous. It's truly astonishing to me that they sold even one. The few times I see someone driving one, I make a point of studying their face for the signs of dementia necessary to even consider a test drive.

The Pontiac Aztek: an HP Pavilion on wheels.

Quote:

But speaking of the 970, if one is in a new revision of the iMac with a 19" screen, I am so there.

Back on topic (sort of), a G5 iMac would rock, but I'd prefer the current 20" Cinema Display glass with its 1680x 1050 sweetness.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent

The Cayenne was co-developed with Volkswagen, which will release their version, the Touareg. Now from the pictures, *that* one is sweet-looking. (And the reviews have been stellar, too.)

A 19" FP iMac will really cut into PM sales as Graphics production houses buy iMacs to replace PM's. A 19" screen would be a very capable production monitor, equil to or better than a 20" CRT in screen realistate.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Contributing to this OT discussion, yes the Cayenne could have been a lot better, but comparing it to the Pontiac Aztek is far, far too harsh. That Aztek thing is mind-numbingly hideous. It's truly astonishing to me that they sold even one. The few times I see someone driving one, I make a point of studying their face for the signs of dementia necessary to even consider a test drive.

The Pontiac Aztek: an HP Pavilion on wheels.

I agree, but have you seen the new Honda Element? Ouch. One of their designers must have had some kind of a seizure or something.
  • Reply 74 of 94
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Just get an Excursion with a Turbo-Diesel, modify the chip, and you too can get 20 mpg out of an 8000 lb. truck and travel in safety and comfort.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

alright, i'll give you that. Although I think combined desktop sales now are still below beige g3 sales then.

I still think we may be in for a wait on the 970 until Panther can ship on it. Shipping a 970 with an OS designed for it will make the greatest impression even if it means waiting 2-3 more months
  • Reply 76 of 94
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

(Well unless you're one of those people who consider all x.0 releases beta until they reach x.2 )

Fixed it for you
  • Reply 77 of 94
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Assuming a Yank Tank, er SUV is safer because it's huge is just ignorant. SUVs are NOT safe(you might feel safer because you feel like you're driving a tank).....do a Google and get informed.

When I first saw the Cayenne I thought it was ugly....I saw one in person and it looked alright(provided you ignored it's a Porsche!). In fact today I was driving down the 405 when I saw a chick driving one going the opposite way. Minutes later I get passed by a chick on a Cayenne that I could've sworn was the same one I had just seen going the opposite way...."man those things ARE fast!"

I don't know, when I think "SUV--Porsche", something just doesn't feel right. It's like if Pedigree started making

"tv dinners" or something. \
  • Reply 78 of 94
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

In point (2.) of the posting starting this thread, Applenut suggested releasing Panther in a beta state so that we could enjoy the performance optimizations sooner, and my comments were in reference to that hypothetical version of Panther. I didn't quote his post because there were only a couple replies when I wrote my reply, but apparently I didn't post it quickly enough.

In the future, you might try reading more closely before commenting. That way you avoid making "beta" posts, as the one quoted above surely is.

I was going to reply, but I figured you could handle yourself.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Imagine a 32-bit machine as a 2 door car. Imagine a 64-bit machine as a 4 door car. Now imagine that you have a driver's license that restricts you to carrying only yourself and 1 passenger. That's what running Jaguar on a 970 is like... you've only ever had 2 door cars so while now you've got one that has these extra doors, it doesn't do anything for you until you get a new license. It just so happens that the new car (in addition to having more doors) is roomier, faster, more fuel efficient and cheaper so its well worth having even though you can't use all the doors (yet). In a couple of months you'll get a new license and then you can unlock the doors and bring more people on board (a lot more -- while the two doors only have 2 seats, the rear doors have many many many seats).

An excellent description and one I found very helpful.

Tahnkyou
  • Reply 80 of 94
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    My opinion: Get the machines out the door as fast as possible.

The speed difference between the 970s and G4s should be noticeable enough in Jaguar, and just that much better with Panther.

So get them out now, and give people a free upgrade to Panther later this summer.