something new

Comments

• Reply 121 of 146
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    If the latest two versions of the tower have had 2 optical drives ( a quite useful feature) why should Apple revert to only having one optical drive?

Why make it so ugly?

In principle it is going in the right direction. A more compact angular tower. The current handles take a lot of space and also hinders having things on top of the case. But the clutterd mess with all those vertical slot does not cut it. They remind me of some HP servers and some IBM PCs that looked like they were of sovjetic industrial design. Far removed from the elegance of the current iMac 12"PB and other current design by Apple
  • Reply 122 of 146
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HamCamJimmy

The halftoning itself doesn't scream 'fake' at me, but the following does: looking at a blow up of the image, the dot spacing of the half tone does not change around the crinkles/folds in the image. If the original image was a halftone that got crumpled, the density of dots would change at the folds in the paper, which they dont.

Either that, or I'm paying waaaay to much attention to this.

Ok, pay attention.

Look at the image, blow it up 400%, what do you see? You see a lot of dots ranging across grey values.

Right?

Now the clue. Half tone dots are only black, not grey.

Getting anywhere?

Look again, you'll see that all those dots are really very, very regular, and all perfectly aligned.

Do you know why that is? It's because those are the pixels from the scan, not the half tone dots from the "supposed" print.

The pixels you are seeing are only an approximation of the "supposed" origiginal. The dots are completely uniform because the pixels in the scan are... completely uniform.

What you should notice is that the grey values fluctuate, where the paper is "supposedly" creased.

Next forensic Photoshop expert?
  • Reply 123 of 146
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member

analyze it to death, but we'll know the truth in six days.
  • Reply 124 of 146
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Two strikes against any possible PM roll-outs are, one, the lack of a webcast, and, two, no mention of a Steve-note.

Could be Apple trying to throw of the hounds, but I reckon that Steve-O, wouldn't let such a long awaited chance for keynote glory slip past. Another guess might be, no new hardware at WWDC!
  • Reply 125 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Two strikes against any possible PM roll-outs are, one, the lack of a webcast, and, two, no mention of a Steve-note.

I thought there was a Steve Jobs keynote at WWDC!?
  • Reply 126 of 146
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    is there? iDunno, mebbe i just got mixed up, but i recall reading something about no stevenote at wwdc?
  • Reply 127 of 146
    There will be a stevenote at WWDC. There will be a webcast, probably at MSNBC, just as there was one for the unveiling of iTMS and the new iPods.
  • Reply 128 of 146
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Ummm, there is a webcast out there. If any of you are near the U of Illinois campus, there will be a broadcast of his Steveness at noon (probably at WILL - with donuts!).

Chas
  • Reply 129 of 146
    There are plenty of satellite feeds but no official webcast via Quicktime having been announced at the Apple site. Again, I believe there will be a webcast but not from Apple (although there's still time for them to announce one).
  • Reply 130 of 146
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    I should think we might see less and less internet streams while the Apple Stores carry all of them.

Could be a move to get more people into the stores, even if for only 2 hours, the mass of people inside (or those waiting outside) attract attention of other mall goers.

Of course, I think Macworld SF will be QT streamed, but I'm doubtful on smaller events, no matter what is introduced. The iPod intro wasn't streamed, as I recall, but was available after the event.

I went by my local Apple store and they're promoting the WWDC keynote with a nice poster "Welcome To San Francisco" just outside the entrance.

Sucks for those not in and around an Apple Store, but the quality there is so much better then on QT.

[Edit: By internet streams, I mean straight from Apple]

theFly

www.flyonthemac.com

Rumors You Can Bet On
  • Reply 131 of 146
    Someone posted their rendering of the "crumpled paper", you'll want one of these: http://www.evula.org/madfax7/misc/images/g5mockup/
  • Reply 132 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Ok, pay attention.

The pixels you are seeing are only an approximation of the "supposed" origiginal. The dots are completely uniform because the pixels in the scan are... completely uniform.

What you should notice is that the grey values fluctuate, where the paper is "supposedly" creased.

Next forensic Photoshop expert?

Me wrong, you right. Personally, I like my crow lightly toasted.
  • Reply 133 of 146
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Someone posted their rendering of the "crumpled paper", you'll want one of these: http://www.evula.org/madfax7/misc/images/g5mockup/

No I won't.
  • Reply 134 of 146
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I have to say I ain't too impressed with that design.
  • Reply 135 of 146
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    It looks kinda like my Sony Vaio RZ series PC.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm sure it'll be nicer.
  • Reply 136 of 146
    ed m.ed m. Posts: 222member
    What about the machine that was supposedly going to be built for Hollywood special effects houses? Was that a rumor based on speculation or was there actually a meeting where Apple grilled the FX houses what they were looking for in a system? Would a few 970-based XServes fit the bill?

--

Ed
  • Reply 137 of 146
    Quote:

The "grill" configuration is hilarious.

There is talk in other threads about 50 watts of power for the 970 at 1.8 gightz. Is that enough to force the case to have so much ventilation that they need a Cadillac grill in the front?
  • Reply 138 of 146
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think that it is SUPPOSED to look like THIS , but the guy was to retarded to see what was the background and what wasn't when he knocked out the background in Photoshop.
  • Reply 139 of 146
    I dont care what it looks like, as long as its easy to open and easy to replace drives, PCI cards and add RAM.

Also I wouldn't mind if it was quiet and light.

I wouldnt mind if this also had Hot-Swappable Drive Bays, like the Xserve. So I can build a internal RAID 0 and 1.
  • Reply 140 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by I.P.Freely

I dont care what it looks like, as long as its easy to open and easy to replace drives, PCI cards and add RAM.

Also I wouldn't mind if it was quiet and light.

I wouldnt mind if this also had Hot-Swappable Drive Bays, like the Xserve. So I can build a internal RAID 0 and 1.

Good reality check, Mr. Freely.