Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 321 of 1072
    "The world's fastest personal computer."

That just makes me laugh with excited anticipation.
  • Reply 322 of 1072
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Why couldn't they have leaked the Powerbook specs as well. It is the year of the notebook...
  • Reply 323 of 1072
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

However i don't think that mistake is necessary bad for them.

Everyone and there aunt, uncle, brother, and cousin are gonna run to apple stores to watch the broadcast. Hopefully apple will have the machines in the stores to play with. I hope this sh#t is all over every media channel, "Apple to release fastest personal computer ever" IMO this leak is great for apple, as long as its true that is
  • Reply 324 of 1072
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Everyone and there aunt, uncle, brother, and cousin are gonna run to apple stores to watch the broadcast. Hopefully apple will have the machines in the stores to play with. I hope this sh#t is all over every media channel, "Apple to release fastest personal computer ever" IMO this leak is great for apple, as long as its true that is

Well, it's on news.com already.
  • Reply 325 of 1072
    Wait, you mean we have to wait 3 more days to see if its true or not?!?!

Hopefully the doubt felt in all of us gives way to Diahria felt by all of us come monday.
  • Reply 326 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSegway

Could someone explain the significance of this? What is optical audio line in? what can be done with this? Is this just for audio professionals or afficianados or can everyone use this?

It would make a nice two way connection to an HT receiver.
  • Reply 327 of 1072
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

The image itself would by copyrighted by them, so they can legitimately demand its removal, and possibly disallow quoting the exact text. But I don't think they have a valid action against a site that paraphrases the contents; facts aren't copyrightable, and its status as a trade secret is out the window. Regardless, it really doesn't matter what Apple Legal does, the horses are miles from the barn door by now.

The image is too short and unoriginal to be copyrighted. Copyright law has restrictions for stuff like that.

Trade secret doesn't apply.

Apple has no legal basis (other than: "We'll tie you up for years in the courts") to take down the image.

Barto
  • Reply 328 of 1072
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    Don't know if this is true, but someone posted on Macnn forums that they checked E-trade tonight and that Apple stock was already up to $26 after closeing today at $19.

This is one reason why I doubt this is an Apple teaser...they might get in hot water for manipulating their stock price.

Another thing is that Machack is going on right now...maybe those dudes are getting their revenge with Apple for upstaging their little shindig by hacking the apple store. Doubtful, but who knows.
  • Reply 329 of 1072
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Well, it's on news.com already.

I wonder if they are gonna ask cnet to cease and desist

edit: hey we're not a "Mac enthusiast site" we are the "Mac enthusiast site"
  • Reply 330 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by craiger77

Don't know if this is true, but someone posted on Macnn forums that they checked E-trade tonight and that Apple stock was already up to $26 after closeing today at $19.

Sort of. The ask is at $25.96 as of 30 seconds ago, but bid is at $18.95.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/invest/quo...d=AAPL:NSDQ:EQ
  • Reply 331 of 1072
    Quote:

This is one reason why I doubt this is an Apple teaser...they would might get in hot water for manipulating their stock price.

Another thing is that Machack is going on right now...maybe those dudes are getting their revenge with Apple for upstaging their little shindig by hacking the apple store. Doubtful, but who knows.

Apple would not be manipulating their stock price illegally by posting computer specs on their own website. Most companies say whats going to be announced months or years in advance...nothing illegal here.
  • Reply 332 of 1072
    ciacia Posts: 267member
    I just checked eTrade, Apple is still listed at 19.14 a share. Extended hours trading closed before the leak.

What it opens at tomorrow will be interesting....
  • Reply 333 of 1072
    mpls244mpls244 Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slice

I'm not a lawyer, but I reckon Apple Legal is in action because if they don't attempt to shut down the specs, then their grounds for possible litigation against "WorkerBee 2"

will be limited.

Simply stated, if they let this slide, how then could they sue

the leaker since they didn't seem to care when it happened?

Just a theory...

Also, they have to provide the message that this stuff doesn't slide... ever. If you are in the know, then this is another warning that Apple is serious about leaks.

I am a lawyer. They're not going to sue WorkerBee 2, they'll just fire him.

What's the point of suing him after firing him? All that would do is continue to remind everyone about what an incredible ****-up this was, as the media reports on the lawsuit.
  • Reply 334 of 1072
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    Quote:

This is one reason why I doubt this is an Apple teaser...they would might get in hot water for manipulating their stock price.

Maybe if the information was false,then I could see that, but how can you get in trouble for releasing true information?
  • Reply 335 of 1072
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

No Sh*t! I didn't even think about that.

I want to see what CNN, TechTV, MSNBC, and NBC have to say about this in the morning? This is going to rock the world!
  • Reply 336 of 1072
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSegway

Could someone explain the significance of this? What is optical audio line in? what can be done with this? Is this just for audio professionals or afficianados or can everyone use this?

Optical Line I/O allows you to recieve and send out digital sound. Most folks would see an immediate benefit by hooking up their mac to a Surround Sound reciever and piping the sound from a dvd through it. The digital sound signal carries all the surround information that the receiver needs.

As for the Optical IN part, I suspect the this can be better taken advantage of at a professional level, but I can think of a couple ways it could benefit the average user.

Also, because it's a digital signal, there's no need for any sort of conversion, which allows you to have a much clearer sound since there's no middleman to process the sound.

that's my understanding anyway. clarifications are welcome...
  • Reply 337 of 1072
    sliceslice Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpls244

I am a lawyer. They're not going to sue WorkerBee 2, they'll just fire him.

What's the point of suing him after firing him? All that would do is continue to remind everyone about what an incredible ****-up this was, as the media reports on the lawsuit.

They litigated against the original WorkerBee....

Although was he an actual employee? I'm thinking

he may just have been a sub-contractor.

Nonetheless, employees have contracts too.. and this would certainly be breach of contract.
  • Reply 338 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by tsukurite

So...if the G5 has optical out, to me that implies 5.1 and 7.1 sound. Does that in turn imply that Apple's DVD player is updated as well? Or did it always support surround sound, but never had an appropriate connection to send the sound through?

Oh, and in case if haven't said it already...

Wheee!!!

Surround sound hasn't been supported up until now. It may not be until Panther is released, but at least the G5 (I can call it that now, right?) will be ready to support it hardware-wise.

I'll just be happy to have some use for my minidisc player again.
  • Reply 339 of 1072
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Hmmm... See anything suspicious here:

Shucks. I gotta work tomorrow. I better go off to bed. I can't wait to see the reactions tomorrow. Just one last time: HOLY SHIT!

Ok. Goodnight
  • Reply 340 of 1072
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Surround sound hasn't been supported up until now. It may not be until Panther is released, but at least the G5 (I can call it that now, right?) will be ready to support it hardware-wise.

I'll just be happy to have some use for my minidisc player again.

Heh, and now I have a justification for buying 5.1 speakers for my office.