Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 781 of 1071
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    maybe that's what moki means but "heavy"
  • Reply 782 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Yeah, I'd imagine someone just used the wrong file name, and bam! Either that or Akamai messed up in some way. Regardless.... "yikes"

I would not want to be working at Apple tomorrow.

hrmm. I wish moki had said "oops" instead of "yikes"

"yikes" gives me pause.
  • Reply 783 of 1071
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

No. Any accuracy in the MacBidouille benchmarks is merely coincidence/luck. They were fabricated. As are the stories about G5 PowerBooks. As are the stories about G5 towers being in production in May.

Moki if the towers weren't in production if May, could have they been in production from June 1st, and at least some models ready for Monday?
  • Reply 784 of 1071
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

As are the stories about G5 towers being in production in May.

May production or fabrication of cases for the G5 would be correct if a late June-early July release was anticipated. Since components, cases and other sundry items come from outside vendors, there is nothing that would say this would be untrue. Drop in the PP970 board at the very end of production, test the machine, pack them up and send through to Apple's distribution centers. Sounds reasonable to me.
  • Reply 785 of 1071
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    "In the wake of the leaked specs, The Mercury News reports on further signs of IBM/Apple announcements on monday:

IBM has scheduled analyst briefings on the chip to begin after Apple Chairman and Chief Executive Steve Jobs gives his keynote address. A group of IBM engineers has come to Apple's Cupertino headquarters for last-minute preparations. And Apple's close partners say significantly faster Apple machines should arrive before the end of the year.

These hints simply confirm what has been widely expected, and while the question of the PowerMac specs may have been laid to rest (for the non-conspiracy theorists), the questions of shipping time and price remain open."

That's from macrumors.com

can anyone say cha-ching
  • Reply 786 of 1071
    fugimaxfugimax Posts: 31member
    I think this is the first Apple news that no one has bitched about. Usually there's some excuse to bitch...but I just haven't found one.

-fugi
  • Reply 787 of 1071
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Well, we haven't seen the case yet... or mouse, or keyboard, or the new displays.

Someone usually finds something to bitch about.
  • Reply 788 of 1071
    fugimaxfugimax Posts: 31member
    Ah, that's right...

just not used to having *some* information confirmed by Apple without knowing anything else. At least the news about the leak won't have time to really circulate in the mainstream media...being the weekend and all. Steve may still surprise a lot of people who hadn't seen the leak -- though probably no one at the keynote.

Of course, that's just pertaining to the PowerMacintosh stuff. I know he's got more for us. Personally, I want to see the power of these things. I just wanna see a demo of him minimizing 100 windows at once or something with the cpu showing 5% usage.

-fugi
  • Reply 789 of 1071
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    5%??

No way.. I want to see 1000 windows opening using NO CPU. Quartz Extreme all the way! Just kidding...

These machines are sure going to put all of Apples current hardware offerings to shame.

Nothing in the lineup comes close to these new G5's. It's gonna be great!
  • Reply 790 of 1071
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Moki,

Moki,

Moki.

Just can't stand it anymore.
  • Reply 791 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Moki,

Moki,

Moki.

Just can't stand it anymore.

could be worse. could be kormac, kormac, kormac.

or

nostrodamus, nostrodamus, nostrodamus.

you know?
  • Reply 792 of 1071
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    screw minimizing, i just want to see him resize a browser window
  • Reply 793 of 1071
    simxsimx Posts: 21member
    I really need to stop reading this thread now. Even though I'm probably not going to buy one (since I can't afford one and I relatively recently purchased a G4 iMac), I'm gonna be heading down to the Apple Store Palo Alto come Monday morning just to watch the keynote and (hopefully) play with some of these monsters.

But now, every second is feeling like a year, because I really want to see Apple announce these babies! I'm actually more excited about Panther now... which I should be, since the PowerMac issue is moot for me due to money issues.

Arg!

*** simX goes to terminal, types, "sudo echo 127.0.0.1 appleinsider.com >> /etc/hosts", and presses return.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

*** simX goes crazy.

Maybe I should actually clean my room to get my mind off the G5s.
  • Reply 794 of 1071
    macubusmacubus Posts: 95member
    Could it be that someone actually ordered this 'mishap' to occur? It would surely increase hype like an atom bomb. I'll bet it was part a cleverly designed strategy, but only time will tell.
  • Reply 795 of 1071
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    Don't have to do this anymore guys...

• Reply 796 of 1071
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I know a lot you are tremendously happy about this turn of events, but something inside me is disappointed. I've been eagerly anticipating Steve's speech on Monday, knowing how happy he would be to break it to all of us that the Mac's "on top" again. With this mistake, a lot of his thunder's been lost. That's half the fun of his keynotes. He's gotta be one ticked mother-fscker at this point.

But, that aside, like it's been said, we don't know what the case is going to look like (which isn't a huge deal really), we don't know when it's shipping, and we really have no clue whatsover which new features Panther will bring to the Mac OS.

Monday's going to be exciting, yeah, but that frenetic feeling of "here it comes...are we actually going to see a 970?!" is pretty much gone.

Meh, it's just a computer, right?
  • Reply 797 of 1071
    ed m.ed m. Posts: 222member
    boy_analog is onto something I've been thinking about when I first read the news.

Go back and read what he posted. *b* definitely sounds like a strong possibility.

As I asked earlier in another thread... Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of meeting held between Apple (Jobs) and the big Hollywood FX houses? Is there another machine that we might not be aware of, one that we won't know about until Monday?

--

Ed
  • Reply 798 of 1071
    simxsimx Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I know a lot you are tremendously happy about this turn of events, but something inside me is disappointed. I've been eagerly anticipating Steve's speech on Monday, knowing how happy he would be to break it to all of us that the Mac's "on top" again. With this mistake, a lot of his thunder's been lost. That's half the fun of his keynotes. He's gotta be on ticked mother-fscker at this point.

But, that aside, like it's been said, we don't know what the case is going to look like (which isn't a huge deal really), we don't know when it's shipping, and we really have no clue whatsover which new features Panther will bring to the Mac OS.

Monday's going to be exciting, yeah, but that frenetic feeling of "here it comes...are we actually going to see a 970?!" is pretty much gone.

Meh, it's just a computer, right?

I completely disagree. This has gotten my hopes really high about the Mac platform, but the completely rational side of me puts this niggling doubt in my mind as to the authenticity of those specs... so in all reality, I might be a bit more on the edge of my seat come Monday than I really would've been.

ARG!!!!!! (I really should type that last line into the Terminal -- can someone find a way to force me to do that?)
  • Reply 799 of 1071
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    The part where it says bus speeds up to 1 GHz just seems to good to be true, pushing me into the hoax department. How are they going to pull that one of? Bumpity*bump*bump from 166 MHz to 1 GHz, while their server hardware will, apparently, remain stuck at 266 MHz. It seems a bit too good to be true. If Apple thaught me one thing, I'd have to be the Art of Disappointment.
  • Reply 800 of 1071
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member