• Reply 141 of 1072
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Holy crap.

That is all.
  • Reply 141 of 1072
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

I know nothing about web serving stuff. Is the fact they found and deleted it so quickly make it more or less likely that it was real? If it had been hacked could Apple have fixed it that fast?

Well, you have to be pretty damn good to hack a site. You have to be even better to hack a store that grabs personal data and credit cards. That means you go to jail when you hack. Why risk going to jail for hacking a site when there's 1) no political statement, 2) no monetary gains and 3) so deep and hard to find and such a small detail?

No hack. It's either accidental or purposeful mistake.
  • Reply 143 of 1072
    I would LOVE to be sitting in Cupertino right now listening to Jobs scream his lungs out at everyone. Either that or I would love to here Phil's call to Steve explaining the f*** up.
  • Reply 144 of 1072
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I wonder if Jobs will mention it in the Stevenote on Monday
  • Reply 145 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Well, you have to be pretty damn good to hack a site. You have to be even better to hack a store that grabs personal data and credit cards. That means you go to jail when you hack. Why risk going to jail for hacking a site when there's 1) no political statement, 2) no monetary gains and 3) so deep and hard to find and such a small detail?

No hack. It's either accidental or purposeful mistake.

Thanks Kid, guess it's real.
  • Reply 146 of 1072
    I didn't read through every post in this thread, so forgive me if someone already posted this, but the "3 PCI or PCI-X expansion slots" doesn't necessarily mean two different mainboards.

Take a look at this image from a PCI-X article at Anandtech, it clearly shows how you can use either a PCI card or a PCI-X card in the same slot, but not both at the same time.

Note 3GIO = PCI-X.
  • Reply 146 of 1072
    Apple store is back up and looks like its back to normal. it was just a dream, it never happened..... just *feel* the RDF telling you that. it never happpppened.... it never happpened...

-Steven P Jobs
  • Reply 148 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I wonder if Jobs will mention it in the Stevenote on Monday

That would be hilarious!!!
  • Reply 149 of 1072
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Wait! G5??? I thought they were going with the 970? Isn't the "Gx" moniker a moto thing?
  • Reply 150 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Wait! G5??? I thought they were going with the 970? Isn't the "Gx" moniker a moto thing?

G3 is an IBM processor. I think it's just an Apple thing.
  • Reply 151 of 1072
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dealing_death

Note 3GIO = PCI-X.

Nope.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,3045,00.asp
  • Reply 152 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    applestores don't lie Tori

kidred:

Quote:

wow. So, Monday afternoon, who's with me to go trolling to all the dell forums!!?!?

I'm there with you man!!
  • Reply 153 of 1072
    From the Ars forum

"On calling the Apple store:

Clamps: I was calling because you list the PowerMac G5 on your website in the Apple store. Is it for sale?

Long pause. 10 seconds or more.

Seller: All I can say now is that Apple cannot comment."
  • Reply 154 of 1072
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I officially say followed closely by
  • Reply 155 of 1072
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Next question:

What real-world performance does each model achieve? At what price?

SOME suspense left for Monday!

Oh... and the physical appearance. Which in Apple's case is also worthy of some excitement.

Amazing specs. I would have bet money--nay, even Krispy Kremes--that nothing this good would be out any time soon.

I suspect single 970s perform quite well--and they can sell more of them than if they offered duals and ran out!
  • Reply 156 of 1072
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    He's got to mention it. It would just be too funny. There's a million ways you could go with it. Something like first thing he says is ...

"Well you know the spec's so lets skip to the bake off".

Or maybe ... "Skip this slide you've seen it. Next ... Next ... "
  • Reply 157 of 1072
    Jobs: "? which brings me to the new PowerMac lineup featuring the PPC G5 and USB 2.0, but that should come as no surprise to most of you I'm sure."

Audience: *laughing*

Jobs: "Shut up."

And he assures us all that the guy who made the slip up has been fired, or at least gotten a good tongue lashing.
  • Reply 158 of 1072
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Wow! The store came back up briefly but then I think they realized the image was still cached. It went back down again, and then when it came back up, the new-old image had a -1 appended to the end of it so it would load fresh.

Wild. God I hope that is real.

1.6 low end?

Too bad there wasn't a picture of the actual case too......
  • Reply 159 of 1072
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Optical I/O is cool.

8GB DDR SDRAM is cool.

Dual 2GHz 970 will be hot.

*and there was much rejoicing*

a much more interesting leaked pic than quibbles over case design

any chance that some WWDC attendees live under rocks and won't know the specs below the "one-more-thing" curtain?
  • Reply 160 of 1072
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    PowerMacs sound good, lets hope they saved the 1.2 and 1.4ghz chips for the PowerBooks. 1.2in the 12" and 1.4 in the 15" and 17" models?

maybe i'm just getting greedy.