Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 201 of 1071
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Wow...just wow...

I'm in shock.

So the 1.6 & 1.8 are only single processor? Hmm...I thought they would definitely go all duals, and I wouldnt feel right going from my dual G4 to an SP...MPs are dope. That doesnt really make much sense to me.

Only 3 PCI-X slots? Or 3 PCI and 3 PCI-X?

The optical and analog audio in and out is the most intriguing part about this.

Unbelievable.

Looks like I might have to pick up some AAPL ....
  • Reply 202 of 1071
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tsukurite

Hasn't APPL stock tanked after the last few big keynotes? If I remember correctly, it has gone up prior to the Stevenotes and then taken a fairly big hit immediately following.

Buy on rumor, sell on news. It has always worked this way and always will. There are always exceptions, this may be one of them. But to bet a college fund on what boils down to the whim of a bunch of investors is foolish. However, I think for the longer term this will be a buoy for Apple's stock price.
  • Reply 203 of 1071
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Wow...MOSR was right on!

Quote:

Oh, and if you're hoping for PCI Express in Apple's forthcoming PPC970-based desktops and servers....it's still likely we won't see it right away, but it won't be long in coming, either. We previously suggested 2004 would be the timeframe for higher-bandwidth expansion slots, but we might see them this year after all....

Update 11:56 PM: One last thing tonight: the transition to Panther and the IBM PPC 970's 64-bit architecture will bring with it not only an optimized operating system to run on the impressive new Macs -- it will allow developers to easily update their applications to utilize a greatly improved GCC compiler, Apple developer toolkit, and updated Mach-0 executable format for applications that will come together to mean some very significant performance improvements for applications running on 970-based systems with OS X Panther, all by themselves. We've seen the results (second-hand) in a work-in-progress demonstration being prepared for WWDC, and "blown away" would just about sum it up

• Reply 204 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

THAT PICTURE IS FAKE!

then what are the real specs?
  • Reply 205 of 1071
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Buy on rumor, sell on news. It has always worked this way and always will. There are always exceptions, this may be one of them. But to bet a college fund on what boils down to the whim of a bunch of investors is foolish. However, I think for the longer term this will be a buoy for Apple's stock price.

Personally I would put everything on black but thats just me.

Leonis: Please elaborate.
  • Reply 206 of 1071
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Edit: Like this: [/B]

Man, finally they replaced those ridiculous uber-Aqua jellybean buttons at the Apple Store with nice, flat, simple rounded-edge buttons.

The G5 specs look pretty amazing .... though I always feel a little bad when a leak occurs. Guess I have a tendency to identify with my oppressor.
  • Reply 207 of 1071
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Only 3 PCI-X slots? Or 3 PCI and 3 PCI-X?

Either PCI or PCI/X, depending on the motherboard.

Quote:

The optical and analog audio in and out is the most intriguing part about this.

Yep. toslink.
  • Reply 208 of 1071
    PCI-X is NOT PCI Express.

--

The apple.com dns server went down last night at about the same time. Hrmm...

--

Assuming no hack is involved, I hope this web guy doesn't get fired. I really like his work.

--

Yikes! Dual 2Ghz 970s at those bus speeds? That would satify my need for speed for a very long time. Wowsers.
  • Reply 209 of 1071
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Oh, heavens, I never bet the farm on this. I've just always been disappointed at what the stock did. No biggy.

On a more related note:

Wheeee!!!!
  • Reply 210 of 1071
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

PowerMacs sound good, lets hope they saved the 1.2 and 1.4ghz chips for the PowerBooks. 1.2in the 12" and 1.4 in the 15" and 17" models?

maybe i'm just getting greedy.

Oh man, I hope so!

Where is JYD...does this meet his demands?
  • Reply 211 of 1071
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    WOW. Where do I start?

First, hats off to Steve. Here's a guy who sees a problem and gets things done.

And while this screwup likely means he's got to rework the speech, I wouldn't worry. Panther was going to be the star of the show anyway.

And I now want to see the show more than before (to see this beast in action) so I hope a webcast will be scheduled.
  • Reply 212 of 1071
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

So how are they going to have a 1GHZ bus, DDR400 won't do it.

The FSB and memory subsystem can run asynchronous -- there is no requirement that they have exactly the same speed.
  • Reply 213 of 1071
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

THAT PICTURE IS FAKE!

Huh? It was on akamai's servers. That would be one hell of a hack job if it were fake.
  • Reply 214 of 1071
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Anyone what to take guesses at what sort of sales records Apple will be setting next week? By dollar amounts or volumes? i think the will smash any records they have for single day orders and hits to their web site.
  • Reply 215 of 1071
    Yeah if it was a hack job it was done by one hell of a hacker, And I`m sure he wouldnt waste his time with such a gag. Unless some PC troll paid him good money for it.. I still vote REAL
  • Reply 216 of 1071
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Isn't the continue button different? It's not aqua. You know, like the one Jobs pointed out earlier (oh probably about seven pages ago by now )

Just click on any product. The entire button UI is flat... that's differnt, no?

Edit: Like this:

And right you are. For the record, I did say that no changes were visible to the untrained eye. I guess I fall into the category, eh?

Either way, the new buttons look schweet, and it's about time the pre-aqua ones are now gone.
  • Reply 217 of 1071
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    SO the high dual 2ghz 970 of monday is in the ballpark of a 7ghz g4 of today?
  • Reply 218 of 1071
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Usually I buy the low-end PM and top up the memory and hard drive specs later.

This may be a case where, if the top end price is anywhere close to reasonable, I'll go for it!
  • Reply 219 of 1071
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    So does this mean Junkyardawg is going to do his thing?

To the poor Apple worker who did this: Thank you, you made my weekend. Maybe someone will take up a collection for you since your probably unemployed now.
  • Reply 220 of 1071
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Hmmm, I wonder if the mainstream news media will pick up on this tomorrow, or if it'll be contained to rumor sites and Mac media....