Wasn't the 970 Supposed to be Cheaper?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What's with the price increases?

The Case is butt ugly too...Too bad they didn't just put it in the old one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    apple's going to milk this one for all it's worth.

the demand is there. apple delivered. and apple knows the pros are willing to shell out the cash.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Supply and demand can be a real nut crusher at times...
  • Reply 3 of 42
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
  • Reply 4 of 42
    vitaflovitaflo Posts: 35member
    newsflash: the 970 chip isn't the only thing inside the G5.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by gcarswell

Hmm, lets see, new motherboard design, new I/O design, serial at drives(more expensive). more expensive memory, everything in this machine exccept for maybe the cpu and vid card costs more. they have to pay for their R&D(which is why things are always more expensive at first).

• Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by vitaflo

newsflash: the 970 chip isn't the only thing inside the G5.

Thank you. You beat me to it.

- Serial ATA

- Hypertransport

- AGP 8x pro

- speed holes

The processor is just one aspect of the price. Do you want to know how much tooling costs of a new housing? How many layers is the motherboard? All this cost Geld, unfortunately.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    I'd be willing to bet you can configure them without the SuperDrive, though; so you could pick up a base model for $1,799. It's odd that Apple didn't make the SuperDrive optional on that model just to get a lower starting price.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Lower the price gouging!

We're back to a single drive bay too
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Still, the only people who will buy at this price are people who were waiting to upgrade their Macs anyway. At a cheaper price, I think they could have attracted switchers.

It reminds me of the original rollout of the PowerPC. Killer product, way too high of a price. I fear Apple remains a niche player--which will be profitable for the, just not what I hoped.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    The new towers can be configured with a combo drive for $200 less.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    The high end dual looks to me to be the best value. The prices are about what I expected. Again, who would ever buy an iMac if the low end G5 came in close to an iMac?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

The case ROCKS. ANd yes,m the G5 is cheaper and that's why we HAVE THE SPECS AND FEATURES THE G5 HAS!! Compare the 3k G5 to the old 3k G4 Specs!!

Damn people.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Still, the only people who will buy at this price are people who were waiting to upgrade their Macs anyway. At a cheaper price, I think they could have attracted switchers.

It reminds me of the original rollout of the PowerPC. Killer product, way too high of a price. I fear Apple remains a niche player--which will be profitable for the, just not what I hoped.

What? Way too high? Only the low end increased and it WIPES THE GOD DAMN FLOOR WITH THE OLD G4 HIGH END!!! What's the fricking propblem seeing the value here!?!?

(120 second delay between posts SUCKS ASS)
  • Reply 14 of 42
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Thank you. You beat me to it.

- Serial ATA

- Hypertransport

- AGP 8x pro

- speed holes

The processor is just one aspect of the price. Do you want to know how much tooling costs of a new housing? How many layers is the motherboard? All this cost Geld, unfortunately.

and add the prize of an all alu case with 8-9 fans.

The dual G5 has a very good prize, i think i am going to buy one. I am nearly sure for this.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Just stop bitchin'. Will ya? Please.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

What? Way too high? Only the low end increased and it WIPES THE GOD DAMN FLOOR WITH THE OLD G4 HIGH END!!! What's the fricking propblem seeing the value here!?!?

(120 second delay between posts SUCKS ASS)

Right, but I could have convinced my company to buy me something at the old low-end price. Talking them into a $2000 dollar machine will be lots harder. And the old low end wasn't worth the price. The high end tower is priced about right, but that's the only machine I think is worth the price.

You are comparing thing to Apple's old line. My company will compare with every PC manufacturer on the planet.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    The new low end machine is $300 more if you downgrade to the combo drive. It's not *cheap* to be certain but the relative performance of teh new machine is drastically better.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

You are comparing thing to Apple's old line. My company will compare with every PC manufacturer on the planet.

Show them the price tag on a somewhat comparably equipped PC, and then tell them you're saving them $1500 by getting the Mac instead of the PC.

Approach it this way, and you will win.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Sure, the G5 chips are technically less expensive than the G4's, but the rest of the specs (standard Superdrive, DDR 400, USB 2.0) kinda take away the money that was saved with the 970 chips...
  • Reply 20 of 42
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

...who would ever buy an iMac if the low end G5 came in close to an iMac?

Someone who wanted to see what they were doing.

A 17" display adds another $700 to that price. So even with the Combo drive discount, you're looking at $2,500 minimum to buy complete G5 system from Apple. Of course, you get a lot more speed for that money, too.

Anyone notice that Apple seems to have done away with the Pro Speakers, Pro Keyboard, and Pro Mouse on this thing? They're including the cheaper eMac keyboard & mouse, and they've removed that weird Pro Speaker port in favor of the Optical Audio port. The Apple Store is touting a big $300 Logitech THX surround system to plug into that hole instead.