Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 461 of 552
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Hey can you set Exposé to work with F13, F14 and F15 keys and they would be more handy on my pro keyboard next to the volume keys....i don't have a Apple display so they don't work for my display...can it be set that way?

Frank_t
  • Reply 462 of 552
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Hey can you set Exposé to work with F13, F14 and F15 keys and they would be more handy on my pro keyboard next to the volume keys....i don't have a Apple display so they don't work for my display...can it be set that way?

Frank_t

F13 -yes

F14, F15 - no
  • Reply 463 of 552
    Software Update in Panther! Hooray! New Build!

Info:

System VersiontMac OS X 10.3 (7A202)

Kernel VersiontDarwin 7.0.0b1

Boot VolumetMacintosh HD

Pics:

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactionman/SU1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactionman/SU2.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactionman/SU3.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactionman/SU4.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactionman/SU5.jpg

Enjoy!

Very Little bandwidth from Angelfire, so someone else might want to host these to if my bandwidth runs out.
  • Reply 465 of 552
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

I'm not sure if this is a new feature in Panther or if it was in Jaguar. If it was in Jag then disregard. I digress, you can put your printers icon in the dock so you can just drag files on to it for easy printing.

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactio...rintThingy.jpg

While it is cool that it seems that they now have printer specific icons, this isn't entirely new. In Jaguar, if you put Print Center into the dock, you can drag files to it to print.
  • Reply 466 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Frank_t

Yes, the Exposé system prefs panel lets you choose the shortcuts. F9, F10 and F11 are just the defaults.
  • Reply 467 of 552
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

I wonder what Apple will think when they see the number of users who download it!
  • Reply 468 of 552
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

F13 -yes

F14, F15 - no

Dang....just my luck....BuonRotto it doesn't let the user use the 3 F13 F14 and F15 keys....would be jjjuusssssttt right if you ask me on the keyboard for this feature....

Frank_t
  • Reply 469 of 552
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

anyone know if there is a place to download the update from the web? I'd rather not use SU if i could avoid it...
  • Reply 470 of 552
    very w00t feature in the new Safari: It tells me that Safari has been updated, do you want to move all your passwords over?

Still build v85 for some reason...

Barto
  • Reply 471 of 552
    It is not a safari feature it is a new keychain feature in Panther.

P.
  • Reply 472 of 552
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Are you able to send/receive faxes if your phoneline is connected to an airport [extreme] basestation ???

or does it have to be direct to your computer?

• Reply 473 of 552
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I wonder what Apple will think when they see the number of users who download it!

I wonder how many people are so silly to download updates for illegally obtained developer previews
  • Reply 474 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

illegally obtained

You make too many assumptions

But even warez copies of Panther using software update... so what? It's not like Apple can match IP addresses with developers and non-developers.

They will however get a good idea of the (non-paranoid) Panther userbase.

Barto
  • Reply 475 of 552
    I realized that perhaps it wasn't the best idea to use SU about 5 seconds after I hit Update. But I doubt Apple is going to be out for the blood of the people that perhaps shouldn't be using Panther right now. If anything, they'll be annoyed that shady Panther user are a bit too paranoid to report Bugs to Apple. Besides, the more people yapping about how great Panther is means less people whining about having another paid upgrade. Oh yeah, new upgrade brings the requisite trademark snappiness the we all know and love.
  • Reply 476 of 552
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

You make too many assumptions

But even warez copies of Panther using software update... so what? It's not like Apple can match IP addresses with developers and non-developers.

They will however get a good idea of the (non-paranoid) Panther userbase.

Barto

If Panther is equipped with a GUID, they'll be able to find out if multiple installations have the same one. How? Simple. Combine the GUID with a random ID. When installing Panther, generate this random ID. Make the ID so long that it's (near) impossible that the same ID is generated twice. Now, if two installations with the same GUID, but with different IDs access the internet at the same time, they can be quite sure that that version has been leaked.
  • Reply 477 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

they can be quite sure that that version has been leaked.

unless of course a developer installs it on more then one machine for testing purposes...

there will be piracy... but its not hurting apple, so what do they care?
  • Reply 478 of 552
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

there will be piracy... but its not hurting apple, so what do they care?

They closed the Safari seeding because of it, and if too many people are pirating Mac OS X developer seeds they might shut that down too, and that would be very a sad day.
  • Reply 479 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

They closed the Safari seeding because of it, and if too many people are pirating Mac OS X developer seeds they might shut that down too, and that would be very a sad day.

they can't do that tho because they need developers to support the OS.... other apps they can keep more control... but the OS NEEDS to get out to the developers...
  • Reply 480 of 552
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Yes. they keyword in your last sentence is "Developers" and its up to apple to decide who those people are. not some "warez" boy.