fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cboth

Here, here - I'll second that.

Me too! Or should that be me three?
  • Reply 62 of 75
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    And speaking of conspiracies...

It seems to me that a full couple of minutes on Limbaugh's show, regardless of one's opinion of him, seems like great free press. So I wonder who that caller was. Simply an Apple devotee, or something deeper...

-K
  • Reply 63 of 75
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's true. Love him or hate him, one thing is true: his audience and listenership is ENORMOUS.

I guarantee you: him casually talking about Apple for 5 minutes during his show is the kind of advertising/publicity money can't buy.

It would be like the commentators taking 5 minutes out of the Super Bowl to talk about Apple.

A captive audience, many with disposable income? What could possibly be better?
  • Reply 64 of 75
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Hmmm... Maybe we all should start calling Rush's show and try to steer our conversations to Apple computers. If at least one or two of us per day got through and got to talk about Apple computers, it'd be a lot of free advertising for them.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

education level and computing platform seem to be a little more related, as educated people tend to use macs. there is some stat proving this, but i'm too lazy to dig it up. if anyone has a link, please post it.

perhaps the percentage of mac users is higher among "educated people" simply because "educated people" tend to have more money.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

perhaps the percentage of mac users is higher among "educated people" simply because "educated people" tend to have more money.

I think it is because some "educated people" don't buy computers at Wal-Mart. As computers became a commodity, they got placed in the same shelves as TV's and DVD players. That is a totally different buying experience and expectation than an Apple store.

I don't know that there is a significant political party difference between Fry's customers and Wal-Mart customers, but there is a CULTURAL difference that is affected by BOTH monetary and educational differences. Apple has purposefully made itself (narrowed its focus) into a company within a specific sub-culture. That subculture is not inclusive of everyone. It came from the Palo Alto elite (pretty much in the shadow of Applenut's little school(?) ). Rush represents another, somewhat larger subculture. To expand to new markets, both have to be willing to support the other culture and that is something that neither Jobs nor Rush are noted for.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Hmmm... Maybe we all should start calling Rush's show and try to steer our conversations to Apple computers. If at least one or two of us per day got through and got to talk about Apple computers, it'd be a lot of free advertising for them.

Now, now. Let's not get crazy. Rush is paranoid enough to catch on and accuse Apple of stalking him or something.
  • Reply 68 of 75

And you've actually listened how many times?
  • Reply 69 of 75
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I don't know that there is a significant political party difference between Fry's customers and Wal-Mart customers, but there is a CULTURAL difference that is affected by BOTH monetary and educational differences. Apple has purposefully made itself (narrowed its focus) into a company within a specific sub-culture. That subculture is not inclusive of everyone. It came from the Palo Alto elite (pretty much in the shadow of Applenut's little school(?) ). Rush represents another, somewhat larger subculture. To expand to new markets, both have to be willing to support the other culture and that is something that neither Jobs nor Rush are noted for.

[bash type="conservative Americans"]

Like have Macs play God Bless America when they startup? Or load the NRA website as the default in Safari? Or offer an American Flag iMac. (Confederate flag optional for sales in South).

[/bash]

Okay, I'll stop. This isn't AO.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

And you've actually listened how many times?

Oh puh-lease. Okay, after taking in his radio show often, I think he's a very open-minded guy.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    His humor is lost on many, that's why I ask. Takes some time, if you're not completely hell-bent on hating him. I've laughed harder at some of his comments than any sitcom or "South Park" episode ever created.

I ask only because...well, only because most people who make a mini-career out of dinging the man have - once you pin them down and call them on their stuff - usually cop to "well, no I've never listened...".

That's all. Just checking. If you're speaking from informed, first-hand experience/knowlege and you've actually listened often enough to know you don't like him, then that's cool. I can respect and understand that.

You would be in the minority, however.

Most just hear his name and go into spastic fits of outrage and indignation...and they're not quite sure why, other than "it seems like the thing to do...". Lots of them frequent these boards, it seems.

• Reply 72 of 75
    Quote:

His humor is lost on many, that's why I ask. Takes some time, if you're not completely hell-bent on hating him. I've laughed harder at some of his comments than any sitcom or "South Park" episode ever created.

I ask only because...well, only because most people who make a mini-career out of dinging the man have - once you pin them down and call them on their stuff - usually cop to "well, no I've never listened...".

That's all. Just checking. If you're speaking from informed, first-hand experience/knowlege and you've actually listened often enough to know you don't like him, then that's cool. I can respect and understand that.

You would be in the minority, however.

Most just hear his name and go into spastic fits of outrage and indignation...and they're not quite sure why, other than "it seems like the thing to do...". Lots of them frequent these boards, it seems.

Sorry. Didn't mean to electronically gnash my teeth. But I have listened to him enough to form an educated opinion on what he's about. Although I really don't like it, that's not to say he hasn't made me laugh; that's why I continue to listen to his show. (That, and to stay informed on what "the other side" is doing.) To my surprise/alarm, I also found myself agreeing with him more after 9/11/2001. And now.

As far as being in the noble minority, I'm a loyal Mets fan, a faithful Giants fan, and a take-it-away-when-you-pry-the-mouse-out-of-my-cold-lifeless-hand Macintosh fan. How's that for minority? 8)
  • Reply 73 of 75
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

But yes, Apple should try to get in touch with the stereotypical Rush listeners...the NASCAR crowd basically. I wonder how many of them eat Kellogg's cereal, prefer UPS to FedEx, shop at Home Depot, use Dupont paint, drink Bud, and use Cingular just because they saw the logos on a 'stock' car.

Yes, Apple should try to get in touch with this simple conservative group of people who buy things based on logos they see on a 'stock' car. This way, they would be in touch with both the simple conservative NASCAR crowd and the sophisticated and intelligent liberal crowd.
  • Reply 74 of 75
  • Reply 75 of 75
    Quote:

OT: Matt Stone, one of the creators of "South Park" is a Republican. His co-creator, Trey Parker, is a registered Libertarian.