New PowerBooks tomorrow.

17810121344

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chazmox

    Please remember that the 19 W that everyone talks about is from a prelease marketing document that was created almost 9 months ago.



    The EEtimes is reporting that a G5 ( presumably the 2 GHz version ) is running at 97 Watts. The marketing document reported that the 1.8 GHz version would run at 42 watts.



    If the EETimes article is to believed ( and they are an industry mag that is usually very accurate ) then the G5 is running quite a bit higher than predicted.



    MacBiduiolle ( sp ) is reporting lower numbers ( actually lower numbers on parts that were never released). However, their reliability is questionable.



    There's gotta be some reason for 9 fans! And it's not just noise - 0 fans are really quiet and THAT obviously wasn't an option.




    .



    97 happens to be not far off 42*2. 48.5*2=97, and 48.5 is a logical extrapolation of power consumption for 1 2ghz 970. The Dual system probably does indeed run at 97 watts... total for 2 processors. I don't see why the prerelease IBM documents are not to be believed. It seems a little odd that IBM would predict one thing, and then ship the final product dissipating over twice the heat, considering everything in them was either spot on, or even slightly pessimistic. The 1.2ghz G5 IS an option. The question is really whether the accompanying architecture is too power hungry, and too inflexible for a portable system. There are also marketing issues as discussed earlier. It could end up being Apple's only option. The 1.2ghz G5 exists NOW. Who can say that about a 1.2ghz 7457?
  • Reply 182 of 873
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    HELLO



    Fcuking stupid people. Tomorrow is sunday. Apple will NOT release anything on a SUNDAY.



    How the hell did this thread become fcuking 5 pages long?
  • Reply 183 of 873
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    HELLO



    Fcuking stupid people. Tomorrow is sunday. Apple will NOT release anything on a SUNDAY.



    How the hell did this thread become fcuking 5 pages long?




    Yeah, but the beauty of the thread title is that at some point, it'll be correct!
  • Reply 184 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    HELLO



    Fcuking stupid people. Tomorrow is sunday. Apple will NOT release anything on a SUNDAY.



    How the hell did this thread become fcuking 5 pages long?




    HEY THERE!



    If you had read all of the discussion (which I can understand most people skimming through), this thread became FIVE pages because people latched onto the hope that new PowerBooks were coming. Soulcrusher's "tomorrow" proclomation was a week ago Sunday. Obviously nothing new has appeared.



    Positive signs that a new PowerBook is imminent is two-fold:
    • People who have ordered a 12-inch or 15-inch PowerBook last week were told that their ordered was "unexpectedly delayed" until July 7th or 8th

    • Indeed, Apple's Store shows the 1 GHz SuperDrive PowerBook shipping status at 7 to 10 days; a common precursor to new products.

    Now, these questions arise:
    • Will the new PowerBook(s) make their appearance Monday or Tuesday of this week? Or will they show up at the Creative Expo in New York on Wed. 7/16/03?

    • What will be updated? The current 867 TiBook still shows a "Same Day" shipping status which is peculiar. Does this mean Apple actually has a supply problem with the SuperDrive Ti? Or does it mean that Apple will keep the 867 Ti around since it's still OS 9 bootable Ã* la the Power Mac G4 1.25 towers?

    • If Apple has a supply problem with the Ti Book, it would have to be a shortage of 512 MB memory since all of the other components are available to the other models.

    • What happens to the 17-inch PowerBook? Arguably, the 17-inch would inheret any of the new 15-inchers features, like a faster processor. Yet, it's still shipping "Same Day."

    • Could the current 17-inch come down in price while a new higher end 17-inch is introduced? Could the 15-inch be going away (as I have speculated)?

    All these questions. Little, if any, answers. Hopefully we will soon get the low-down on what's up with Apple's pro portables, because they surely are due for an upgrade (all of them)...
  • Reply 185 of 873
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    HELLO



    Fcuking stupid people. Tomorrow is sunday. Apple will NOT release anything on a SUNDAY.



    How the hell did this thread become fcuking 5 pages long?




    You tell me.
  • Reply 186 of 873
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    As to whether multiple models will be updated at once or whether there will be a staggered release, Apple might announce more than one machine at once but they will be available at different times. Even when Apple announces new products (not upgrades) the releases are staggered. Remember 12" and 17" PB, the different speed models of iMacs, the different speed models of G5.





    They could easily update just the 15" PB and then a couple of months later update the 17". If the difference is just a speed bump of 0.25GHz or so that shouldn't hurt sales too much for the two or three months it takes to upgrade the 17".



    The 12" PB is in a different category so the 15" PB could easily be updated independently of an upgrade to that PB.
  • Reply 187 of 873
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    Quote:

    All these questions. Little, if any, answers. Hopefully we will soon get the low-down on what's up with Apple's pro portables, because they surely are due for an upgrade (all of them)...



    Indeed.... I'm getting a bit ansy myself... I feel left in the dark...
  • Reply 188 of 873
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by satchmo

    Yeah, but the beauty of the thread title is that at some point, it'll be correct!



    A broken clock is right twice a day
  • Reply 189 of 873
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    7-10 days shipping for all iPods, as well as the 1GHz 15" PB. We know they're coming - come quickly!
  • Reply 190 of 873
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NEMESIS

    A broken clock is right twice a day



    Chill, it's called levity.
  • Reply 191 of 873
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by G5power

    1. I also think the low voltage G5 chip seems perfect. The present TiBook chip is Apollo 1GHz 7455 which typically dissipates about 20W of heat. so a [email protected] 1.1V seems about the same (19W).



    2. The 7457- low power Apollo chip is also 0.13micron SOI 1.3GHz. But is Moto supplying them yet- must be close?



    So if apple can access either/both of these faster chips what would you think they would do?




    I'm betting they'll play safe and produce dual processor powerbooks featuring... one of each. A G54 powerbook... now how does that sound?
  • Reply 192 of 873
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by satchmo

    Chill, it's called levity.



    I know. I've just always wanted to use that saying. No malice intended. Peace. I want a powerbook.
  • Reply 193 of 873
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

    To the last syllable of recorded time;

    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

    The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle

    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

    And then is heard no more: it is a tale

    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

    Signifying nothing.
  • Reply 194 of 873
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Marcus

    Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

    To the last syllable of recorded time;

    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

    The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle

    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

    And then is heard no more: it is a tale

    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

    Signifying nothing.




    Macbeth?
  • Reply 195 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Don't go gettin' all uppity, quotin' that Billy spear-shaker fella. He used an iBook anyway, so what does he know?
  • Reply 196 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I guess he, too, is awaiting to upgrade his ibook to the new 15-inch PowerBook
  • Reply 197 of 873
    What's with the 7-10 day shipping on the iPods?
  • Reply 198 of 873
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

    What's with the 7-10 day shipping on the iPods?



    high demand?
  • Reply 199 of 873
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NEMESIS

    Macbeth?



    Indeed.
  • Reply 200 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TheS10th

    97 happens to be not far off 42*2. 48.5*2=97, and 48.5 is a logical extrapolation of power consumption for 1 2ghz 970. The Dual system probably does indeed run at 97 watts... total for 2 processors. I don't see why the prerelease IBM documents are not to be believed. It seems a little odd that IBM would predict one thing, and then ship the final product dissipating over twice the heat, considering everything in them was either spot on, or even slightly pessimistic. The 1.2ghz G5 IS an option. The question is really whether the accompanying architecture is too power hungry, and too inflexible for a portable system. There are also marketing issues as discussed earlier. It could end up being Apple's only option. The 1.2ghz G5 exists NOW. Who can say that about a 1.2ghz 7457?



    Here's the EETimes quote that I am using.



    "Each G5 dissipates 97 watts, which generates so much heat that Apple had to design a new enclosure with four independently controlled thermal zones, each with its own fan." Not to argue semantics, but they are talking about each individual processor - if they were talking about the unit as a whole they wouldn't reference the enclosure in the way that they did above.



    Hey, the EETimes could be wrong, but it is the best data I have. You stated above that "The Dual system probably does indeed run at 97 watts... total for 2 processors." Since this quote seems to be based on certain knowledge, do you have references to back that up besides the marketing document?



    A prerelease marketing document can and usually does have mistakes - unfortunately no one can confirm this until the units themselves can be measured. Until then the EETimes article is the best and latest info I can find. If you have new info then please provide it.



    The question is not whether the 1.2 Ghz 970 exists, it is whether it can run cool enough. One of the most obviously items of proof that a G5 laptop is not soon forthcoming is the fact that Jobs did not release it at the WWDC. Something THAT stunning is definitely going to be release by Steve.
Sign In or Register to comment.