New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 701 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yankeedoodle

Not quite; the G5 can step down its clock speed to save power and to produce less heat when you are just typing that letter in Word or are just entering data into those Excel sheets. If Apple's integration of the "mobile" G5 into the upcoming PB G5 will be good (and it better will, because Intel's Centrino stuff bases more or less just on this technique!), a next gen PowerBook will only fire up its full potential when you really need it.

Apple has had this processor cycling feature in its portables for some time now and I'm sure the G5 will, too. Nothing new.
  • Reply 702 of 873
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Teddy

This is just speculation and wondering what others think. Is there any chance the Rev B 12' will have the keyboard that lights up in the dark. That would be a sweet standard feature. Just wondering what others think.

Thanks,

Teddy

I have no idea but I would guess no. I think they would have a hard time fitting it in there. I am personally hoping for it in the 15" but am not expecting it.
  • Reply 703 of 873
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I have no idea but I would guess no. I think they would have a hard time fitting it in there. I am personally hoping for it in the 15" but am not expecting it.

i think the lights are just in the keys/keyboard itself and considering that the 12 inch has the same keyboard (minus lights) as the 17 inch i dont see why it wouldnt fit.
  • Reply 704 of 873
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    For what it's worth (and knowing PowerBook rumors, that's not a lot) I was just in my campus computer store and overheard one of the clerks tell someone who was asking about an iBook that they have been waiting for PowerBooks since July 11th and that they should have them finally arrive on Tuesday. Since that matches with the rumor of the 19th, that must be too good to be true. Plus, as we all know, we here in Canada must always wait a bit longer for products to arrive. Not much, but a bit.
  • Reply 705 of 873
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i think the lights are just in the keys/keyboard itself and considering that the 12 inch has the same keyboard (minus lights) as the 17 inch i dont see why it wouldnt fit.

I guess you are right. I was under the impression that they used fiber optics to get the ambient light from the LCD. Though reading the description at Apple's website it doesn't say that and I must have read it wrong when it was announced. Either way I still want it on my updated 15"!

Maybe I'd get a 12" if it had it even.
  • Reply 706 of 873
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I'm just guessing myself, but I figured the keyboard lighting to be done with light pipes under the keys, meaning you have to have room for the piping and room for a bright light source. We're probably not talking about a lot of required space, but things are obviously tight inside the 12", and it'll be even tighter if the rumors are true about the 12" slimming down to an inch thick.
  • Reply 707 of 873
    ETA for powerbooks now showing 22/8/2003 @ ingram.

This is in line with an introduction on the 19th.

Let's hope, because i have been holding the purchase of till the new 17 inch comes out. Patience is running short now.

There has been a good 3 weeks when it was showing october. So since the date has been moved forward, i presume it will be new books that arrive.
  • Reply 708 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Salty Chips et al.

I'm getting a little worried that the 19th may be a pipe dream. I'm starting to feel weak about the whole thing. Maybe it's just because I need food.
  • Reply 709 of 873
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    My alPB 15 has bugs I can't quite describe because it hasn't gotten here yet, but it's new tech and this is/was bound to happen.

Serious point is: I'm wondering when RevB of this baby is to be expected or do any of you think Apple will be swapping in newer/better parts tha might have made the cut if it shipped in June. Would protos be under continual testing or just sitting on a shelf waiting for 7457s.

This whole email is based deep in rumorland, but what else have we got to go on?
  • Reply 710 of 873
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onit

My alPB 15 has bugs I can't quite describe because it hasn't gotten here yet, but it's new tech and this is/was bound to happen.

Serious point is: I'm wondering when RevB of this baby is to be expected or do any of you think Apple will be swapping in newer/better parts tha might have made the cut if it shipped in June. Would protos be under continual testing or just sitting on a shelf waiting for 7457s.

This whole email is based deep in rumorland, but what else have we got to go on?

Are you a beta tester or is that a typo?
  • Reply 711 of 873
    Gee, do ya think the new PBs will be delayed by this massive power outage?

Could this outage have been caused by that worm? Stay cool! 8)
  • Reply 712 of 873
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Gee, do ya think the new PBs will be delayed by this massive power outage?

Could this outage have been caused by that worm? Stay cool! 8)

Unless the power outage reaches to Taiwan it won't affect production though the predominance of unprotected peecees in Taiwan (and the rest of Asia) could leave them open to being harassed by the worm.
  • Reply 713 of 873
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Are you a beta tester or is that a typo?

beta tester, definitely
  • Reply 714 of 873
    the 19th release rumor must be just an ephemeral mirage ...

surely apple would have announced the event this week if they were going to do something next week.

annnounce in Sept, ship in Oct with Panther? Q4 was Motorola's shipping date for the 7457. panther will be another great reason to get the new PBs
  • Reply 715 of 873
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Or they'll just quietly upgrade them on the website, with immediate availability and a press release.
  • Reply 716 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

beta tester, definitely

I'm not in the beta business, but if I were, that's what would be called a joke. I was kidding and speculating all at once. I have no alPB15 with problems, I have no alPB15 period.

I was wondering - if these things were waiting for 7457s to be dropped in from June - whether development would be on going or would have halted in June (eg a gfx card that came out in July, say, wouldn't make it in because the machines were pretty much built minus the processors).... phew that was one long sentence.
  • Reply 717 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by G5power

the 19th release rumor must be just an ephemeral mirage ...

surely apple would have announced the event this week if they were going to do something next week.

annnounce in Sept, ship in Oct with Panther? Q4 was Motorola's shipping date for the 7457. panther will be another great reason to get the new PBs

I don't understand when Q3 ends. From Macnn:

"Apple on Tuesday filed with the SEC its Form 10-Q for the third quarter of fiscal 2003, which is available as an 85-page PDF document. Some annotated highlights about its investment gains, stock repurchase plan, net sales breakdown, retail segment, R&D costs, and legal proceedings are available...."

According to the SEC form itself Q3 ended June 28. So, if I understand correctly, we're halfway through Q4... and no 7457 yet...
  • Reply 718 of 873
    Quote:

According to the SEC form itself Q3 ended June 28. So, if I understand correctly, we're halfway through Q4... and no 7457 yet...

There's a difference between Apple's fiscal Q4 and calendar Q4 which begins Oct. 1. Is it really a myth that Mototola said it was moving 7457 production to Q3?
  • Reply 719 of 873
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Apple's financial year is offset by three months: Q1 begins in October, which is is Q4 in any other context.
  • Reply 720 of 873
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Apple's financial year is offset by three months: Q1 begins in October, which is is Q4 in any other context.

Think different ...

Account different ....