MWNY predictions...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    There will be a shiny metal computer!

Someone will do a bake-off!

(Given today's news from our friends in San Jose, I'm betting some of the bake-off will contain something to with FCP and Shake.)

Some people here will be happy

Some people here will be sad

Some people will be confused

Some people will just be mad

I personally expect 10% of bugger all to come out Apple during Creativepro or whatever it is called, except a demo of how amazing FCP, DVDSP and Shake are under a G5, also I expect to see those Luxology people popping up with monotonous regularity.

Anyone who thinks that something truly paradigm shifting will be announced by Greg Joswiak (no disrespect, I'm sure he's a very nice man) has obviously become expo-happy. This will be a functionality keynote, with a heavy "this is why you stay with Mac"/"this is why you come back to Mac" undertow to the whole thing.

That said, there might be a new 15" Powerbook, but I don't think that will happen until Paris (16/09), where there will also be an announcement that G5 has started shipping globally.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm hoping for a low end G5 config. 1.6GHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, CDRW, $1599.

Unless they have something else up their sleeves like a Mini G5 tower.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Some people here will be happy

Some people here will be sad

Some people will be confused

Some people will just be mad

That pretty much sums it up.

The last one is usually the most common though.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OverToasty

Anybody care to expound on the advantages to Apple in destroying MWNY?

Apple doesn't have to destroy MWNY; it is ceasing to exist. IDG is moving the show back to Boston starting next summer, and that's the excuse Apple has used to cut back their involvement.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I really don't see Apple announcing one thing there. Showcasing existing products, but who is going to announce it? This "Joz" character? On Wednesday, during a 1-hour keynote? Nope, stuff may be announced that week, but it will be by Apple not via anyone at Creative.

They may hold a special event ala xServe that week just to get under IDG's skin. I could see Steve doing that. Couldn't you?
  • Reply 26 of 114
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    Hello,

I agree with everyone that says that nothing will come out at Creative Pro. But if something new appear it will be via apple.com.

Everyone, just relax, we are moving too fast. We can't have new hardware every 15 days or every month or every 3 months or every 6 months. The market would go down the drain.

I am waiting for an update on the 12" PowerBook G4, but I think that will not happen at New York, so I think I have to buy the actual one, what do say about it?

Best,

jdl
  • Reply 27 of 114
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdl

Hello,

I agree with everyone that says that nothing will come out at Creative Pro. But if something new appear it will be via apple.com.

Everyone, just relax, we are moving too fast. We can't have new hardware every 15 days or every month or every 3 months or every 6 months. The market would go down the drain.

I am waiting for an update on the 12" PowerBook G4, but I think that will not happen at New York, so I think I have to buy the actual one, what do say about it?

Best,

jdl

Most of Apples product line is up for a refresh based on past history. Apple has also been anouncing updates within about a month of each other. By this one could reasonably expect some updates in July, and others in August. Apple also needs to bring its consumer line up to speed so that it is not lagging so far behind the Wintel offerings that it is competing with. This means, if possible getting a 1.4-1.6 Ghz G4 with DDR into the iMac lin-up as soon as possible, and boosting the iBook processor to a faster G3 or a G4 at or around the same time. The latest that they should do this is August/September when the G5's are released.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

That said, there might be a new 15" Powerbook, but I don't think that will happen until Paris (16/09), where there will also be an announcement that G5 has started shipping globally.

Sounds like a possibility. Agree with post above, alot of the line up was 'bumped' in January and are due re: July/August for a refresh.

G4s 1.3-1.6?

That would sound about right...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 29 of 114
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Well the G5 is pretty big. I know it isn't the first announcement , but it is the first time the General Public are likely to see it.

just got a macworld reminder:

Apple's Power Mac G5 Takes Center Stage at Macworld CreativePro

================================================== ==========

Next week's Macworld CreativePro show in New York will feature

Apple's first public display of the new Power Mac G5.

hmmm maybe i am gonna go, I really want to see it.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

G4s 1.3-1.6?

1.6 sounds terribly optimistic. 1.3 would be fine with me and I would buy immediately. 1.6 would take a bit longer since I'd have to be picked up off the floor and revived before going to the store.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    bigjbigj Posts: 6member
    From the MCP website: http://www.macworldexpo.com/macworld...0254&p_navID=8

Greg Joswiak, a.k.a. "Joz", is Apple's Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing and leads the team responsible for all Apple desktops and portables, including the iPod and AirPort...Joz has held several prior roles within Apple's product marketing organization, including director of portable and communications products.

Is there a reason they are picking Joswiak for the first feature presentation? Why him?
  • Reply 32 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I'm hoping for a low end G5 config. 1.6GHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, CDRW, $1599.

Unless they have something else up their sleeves like a Mini G5 tower.

If I were a marketing man:

No product diffusion (mini-tower/Cube Redux) until the early adopter market has exhausted all of the instant latent demand (or "low hanging fruit", if you're into buzz phrases), which won't be for a good six months after first shipment.

Any Mini G5/Cube Redux business desktop will wait until Panther is stable and headroom exists in terms of clock speed to give the mini-tower it's own space in the world.

As for a 1.6, not until iMac would be my thought.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Performance-wise, the eMacs and iBooks need DDR and a wider bus'd mobo. They simply do not perform as well as they should. The base eMacs perform like $300 computers, and this 800mhz iBook on the table in front of me performs like a $600 unit.

Either Apple gives these cpus room to work or they need to cut the prices more. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Performance-wise, the eMacs and iBooks need DDR and a wider bus'd mobo. They simply do not perform as well as they should. The base eMacs perform like $300 computers, and this 800mhz iBook on the table in front of me performs like a $600 unit.

Either Apple gives these cpus room to work or they need to cut the prices more. Just my opinion.

I totally agree!!

I work on a iBook 14" 800 full with RAM and I got the spinning rainbow alot of times in OS X. Even with the ATI 7500 32MB this machine performs a little bad for what I have paid for.

Apple should improve or cut down the prices.

jdl
  • Reply 35 of 114
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Why is everyone eager for a demo of Panther? Didn't that happen in the WWDC Keynote?
  • Reply 36 of 114
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Why is everyone eager for a demo of Panther? Didn't that happen in the WWDC Keynote?

To see a more mature OS, if only by a few weeks, and to see more consumer oriented features that will make this the "OS" to move to from from OS 9 as well as Linex and Windows. Not that most here need the incentive or convincing about OS X over Linex or Windows, but more for the plethora of uninitiated.

Oh yea, last but not least, becouse I want to buy it yesterday.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    I better be seeing a dang 15" AL PB update!!!

If he merely shows us a nice little preview of the G5's, I'm going riot and bring out the torches, pitchforks, tar, and feathers...

I don't need a gigantic hunk of Aluminum G5 for college in the fall! I need an updated Powerbook so Apple better just release them already, because I'm gettin ansy...
  • Reply 38 of 114
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    What happened to the Taiwan leak about the 15.4 Pbooks. That was months ago. Has Appple really plugged all the leaks? It seems like the boards are talking about the G5 in the powerbook, which is all speculation. The aluminum form factor should be heading towards us. But when
  • Reply 39 of 114
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Performance-wise, the eMacs and iBooks need DDR and a wider bus'd mobo.

That may be, but they won't be getting it with any G4; AFAIK not even the 7457 can take advantage of DDR.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Check the powerbook page at Apple's site at 6pm on the 15th.