MWNY predictions...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    yeah, also meet me on the 9th green at 9... and wear something nice
  • Reply 42 of 114
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    PowerPage is on board with the world's most lukewarm rumor confirmation ever:

"A PowerPage source has indicated that the feature presentation by Greg 'Joz' Joswiak, Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing at Apple, may include a surprise announcement of the new Aluminum PowerBook 15-inch. It is unconfirmed and frankly, a long shot, but stranger things have happened. Joz is actively involved in PowerBooks and has given most of the quotes about the new 'Books to the media, so it seems plausible."

[Posted also in the "New PBs Tomorrow" thread]
  • Reply 43 of 114
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 44 of 114
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

...Mot is still not anywhere near ready to ship them...

Is this true? According to Motorola in a February '03 press release, they're out. The delay is Apple's (usual ) lag in putting them in a computer and shipping the durn thing.
  • Reply 45 of 114
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

Is this true? According to Motorola in a February '03 press release, they're out. The delay is Apple's (usual ) lag in putting them in a computer and shipping the durn thing.

It's important to read the article:

Pricing and Availability

Alpha samples of the MPC7457 and MPC7447 PowerPC processors are available today to selected customers. General market sampling is planned for March, with production expected to commence in Q4 2003. Suggested retail pricing for the MPC7457 at 1 GHz is expected to be $189 (USD) in quantities of 10,000.

Alpha samples probably mean first silicon samples. General market sampling is pilot production, in other words, further revisions from the first silicon samples and vendors can design hardware around them. Production looks to be still 3 months away. Production meaning Moto will be able to ship 100k cpus per month to Apple.

And $189 for a 1 GHz 7457? Ouch. Hopefully Apple can get a sweetheart deal for less than $100, otherwise, Apple shouldn't even bother with the 7457.

The CreativePro thing will be a rehash of WWDC. Ok, I'll do some wishful thinking and say Joswiak will announce PPC 970 Powerbooks, 12", 15" and 17" ones, available in September.
  • Reply 46 of 114
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

It's important to read the article...

Nice jab, and good point.

Shows what happens to a normally rational mind when it's fogged by frantic hope. Pounced right on "now available." Kind of like stating that an Mideast peace plan is "now available"; sure, it's out there, but is it doing anybody any good?
  • Reply 47 of 114
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

What happened to the leak? How about there never was any leak, just a bozo making up something plausible and name dropping enough to set the hook.

It wasn't just MacWhispers, El Reg carried a story from DigiTimes saying that Compal had confirmed they were building 15.4" PowerBooks, to be shipped second half of this year.

I'm guessing the delay is actually inventory control on Apple's part, and this is also why there was the sudden price drop a month ago.

Ir's not exactly a radical act on Apple's part either.
  • Reply 48 of 114
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 49 of 114
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [oops]
  • Reply 50 of 114
    CONfirMED***!!1:

MWNY will be Anticlimactic EXTREME.
  • Reply 51 of 114
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

The CreativePro thing will be a rehash of WWDC. Ok, I'll do some wishful thinking and say Joswiak will announce PPC 970 Powerbooks, 12", 15" and 17" ones, available in September.

Haha. Yep, that's wishful. Joswiak was the one at WWDC who said we won't see a G5 in PowerBooks anytime soon. Imagine him looking like a fool at MWNY announcing just that? Nah.

I agree, New York is going to be a rehash of WWDC with, possibly, a new G4 15" aluminum PowerBook with specs similar to the existing 17".
  • Reply 52 of 114
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Well the El Reg kind of blew it in my eyes when they were predicting the unveiling of the G5 at MW 2002, complete with bogus benchmark numbers then as well.

I may be a conspiracy theorist, but I don't believe El Reg really blew it. Remember...that was the MacWorld Apple had the "Beyond the rumor sites...way beyond!" tagline on their web page.

The original PowerMac G5 WAS to be released at MacWorld SF 2002. It was going to have a Moto chip in it, which just 2 weeks before the announcement, Apple found out that Moto's indeptness was going to delay the product for no less than 6 months. That's a fact documented by Apple insiders on some other sites.

So The Reg unfortunately just got caught looking like their pants were down, when really the info was accurate but Apple pulled the plug. I think some other sites, MacWhispers included, may have fallen victim to the same issue. They're not guilty of telling lies...just publishing info that looks phony when Apple backs out of legitimate plans.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 53 of 114
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Here is alittle more fuel fer the fireMore from the register I really am hoping for the update next week. I know everything is against it. With Jobs always taking the spotlight for the big releases and all....But an update for one of the mid line products to where the flagship is, is not that spectacular. Let's assume for the moment that there is a 15. 4 alBook in a factory somewhere. Would it not be logical to release it under some show with press coverage? It may be Macworld Paree but, it has been a while since the 15.2 has had any update/upgrade (Hmm how about upgrate? ) How long will they run the old model into the ground given the pressure to innovate and to remain somewhat competitive? If the sales were really flat they would have further markdowns to blow these very high margin items out the door.
  • Reply 54 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

The original PowerMac G5 WAS to be released at MacWorld SF 2002. It was going to have a Moto chip in it, which just 2 weeks before the announcement, Apple found out that Moto's indeptness was going to delay the product for no less than 6 months. That's a fact documented by Apple insiders on some other sites.

Yeah? Who, where?
  • Reply 55 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

Here is alittle more fuel fer the fireMore from the register

That article is unchanged from three weeks ago.
  • Reply 56 of 114
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

That article is unchanged from three weeks ago.

Sorry, I didn't mean to represent it as new information . Merely as a confirmation of what was out there.
  • Reply 57 of 114
    People still read teh Register?
  • Reply 58 of 114
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

What happened to the Taiwan leak about the 15.4 Pbooks. That was months ago. Has Appple really plugged all the leaks? It seems like the boards are talking about the G5 in the powerbook, which is all speculation. The aluminum form factor should be heading towards us. But when

All good questions taliesin, but we don't know the answers. I'll be there in NYC since Apple cancelled Tokyo, where else is there to go? Oh, yes, SF, but I can't justify a trip to the States without going via NYC!

I am with Omek, though "There'd better be an update of the PB 15" I'd be happy with a back-lit keyboard and 15.4 screen." Otherwise, I've got to skip another generation.
  • Reply 59 of 114
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Yeah? Who, where?

I think he was referring to the extensive article on the G5 posted up by Architosh (which I'm still trying to find on their site). AFAIK, it was the article that was supposed to have exposed the whole drama that appears to have swirled around what was purported to be Apple and Moto's G5 effort (i.e. prototype computers with cases welded shut, chips that ran so fast they exploded, etc.)

[edit: here it is: http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-1...7457-rm1.phtml]
  • Reply 60 of 114
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Check the powerbook page at Apple's site at 6pm on the 15th.

Why wouldn't such a big announcement be displayed at the front page