sick of waiting... Powerbook/iBook info, guesses, wild speculation anyone?

Comments

• Reply 201 of 304
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

Why Apple should release now new PBs & iBooks, if they can't ship them?

Same reason they released the G5 without being to ship it. Just because they can't ship it doesn't mean they can't sell it, and people want to know something good is on the way. Right now for all we actually KNOW, there could be nothing worth waiting for on the way.

I would really like to buy a PowerBook to take to school with me. If I don't get it until after school starts I don't really care, but I don't want to keep waiting for the next thing coming up if I don't even know what it is, so I'm considering just buying whatever I can get cheap or even a PC possibly, since Apple hasn't come up with anything.

For me the frustration comes from not knowing what's coming. I don't mind that I don't have it in my hands yet.
  • Reply 202 of 304
    halodehalode Posts: 21member
    Actually I take offense at that, pscates... I have a rare, life-threatening condition whose only cure is the sweet, sweet lovin' of a 15" AlBook.

The MAX ram ceiling of the iBooks and 12" PowerBooks is uncomfortably close to my personal minimum for ram... but 999 is a great deal.

What does everyone think is better for a 'stopgap' laptop:

cheapo iBook?

12" powerbook at near twice the price?

I'm not saying I'm definitely going to go for it, but I miss mobility...
  • Reply 203 of 304
    Quote:

Originally posted by halode

Actually I take offense at that, pscates... I have a rare, life-threatening condition whose only cure is the sweet, sweet lovin' of a 15" AlBook.

The MAX ram ceiling of the iBooks and 12" PowerBooks is uncomfortably close to my personal minimum for ram... but 999 is a great deal.

What does everyone think is better for a 'stopgap' laptop:

cheapo iBook?

12" powerbook at near twice the price?

I'm not saying I'm definitely going to go for it, but I miss mobility...

My guess is that since PowerBooks are looking forward to a revision quite soon (hopefully) the iBook would be the better choice. A new revision would drop the resale value of the PowerBook, which could cost you more money. Plus it's a cheaper item so you're likely to lose less money anyway. If you really need a laptop to hold you over for what is hopefully a month or two wait, I'd get the iBook.
  • Reply 204 of 304
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Heck, better yet: go on eBay and try to find a first-gen white iBook (66MHz bus and all), if it's only going to be temporary.

If you're REALLY just needing a writing/surfing/e-mailing laptop until some newer, better PowerBooks arrive, try to find a Graphite, Indigo or Key Lime clamshell iBook (I specify these models because they at least have FireWire, where the Blueberry, Tangerine and first Graphite models didn't).

I see them for around $500 all the time on eBay!

Just suggestions.

Anyone can live with 366-466MHz for a few months, if they're just writing, surfing, e-mailing, low-res Photoshop (web stuff) and whatnot.

However, the RAM limits on those were fairly low I think. I don't know. Maybe that was because it was before 512MB DIMMs?

I don't know. Anyone know the TRUE RAM limit on the clamshell iBooks (first generation was 160MB...haha). But what about the FireWire Indigo, Graphite and Key Lime models? Could you stick a 512 in one and have 640 like today's iBooks?

• Reply 205 of 304
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Know somebody in education?

Well, I noticed this morning (because I've been checking it like everyday!) that there is new lower pricing for education individuals. The G4 12-inch Combo PowerBook is now $1,399 at the Apple Store for Education. Oh, and the Ti867, you ask? It's $1,799 at the Apple Store for Education. $2,299 for the Ti SuperDrive model, and $2,999 for the 17-inch Lapzilla. Mind you, why get a 1GHz 17-inch for $2,999 when you can get a Dual 2 GHz G5 tower for $2,699 -- that's $2,699 sans the monitor. Throw in a 17-in Mitsuibishi CRT for $175 and you're still cheaper than the 17-inch Lapzilla.
  • Reply 206 of 304
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    not buying the extremely outdated 15" nor the 12" without DVI out. Apple is missing a prime back-to-school spending season.

I think with G5 not shipping until Sept (they say August meaning 1 system ships at Aug 31 and the rest a month later when production ramps up), Q3 will NOT be good financially with Q4 being a blowout Quarter when the prod lines are in full shipping production.
  • Reply 207 of 304
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Know somebody in education?

Mind you, why get a 1GHz 17-inch for $2,999 when you can get a Dual 2 GHz G5 tower for $2,699 -- that's $2,699 sans the monitor. Throw in a 17-in Mitsuibishi CRT for $175 and you're still cheaper than the 17-inch Lapzilla.

Because carrying around a dual 2 Ghz Powermac G5 can be a slight strain on the back!!!
  • Reply 208 of 304
    Quote:

Originally posted by eat@me

not buying the extremely outdated 15" nor the 12" without DVI out. Apple is missing a prime back-to-school spending season.

I think with G5 not shipping until Sept (they say August meaning 1 system ships at Aug 31 and the rest a month later when production ramps up), Q3 will NOT be good financially with Q4 being a blowout Quarter when the prod lines are in full shipping production.

Well, Q3 might not be as good as some years, but people are still buying Apple laptops even though the line is outdated but just because Apple isn't shipping G5's doesn't mean people aren't buying them. It's number #7 on the top sellers list, so I imagine that the G5 is going to be driving more revenue than the g4 towers were in q3 last year. I could be wrong though. Maybe a lot of people are holding off until they actually start shipping before they buy.
  • Reply 209 of 304
    Wow, I hadn't noticed that drop in educational prices and I've been checking them like every day, so it must've just gone through today (Saturday???) since I'm pretty sure I was pricing a 12" last night at $1699.. But now the 15" is back up to 7-10 business days shipping! The 12" is at 5-7 business days but that's built to order.. The 15" shipping time has been fluctuating pretty wildly lately..
  • Reply 210 of 304
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Roundup:

USA Apple Store Shipping Times:

12-in Combo: 5-7 business days

12-in SuperDrive: 5-7 business days

15-in Ti 867: Same business day

15-in Ti 1GHz: 1-3 business days

17-inch PB: Same business day

According to PowerBook Central, the 12-inch PowerBook is out-of-stock at the Apple Store.

A thread over at MacNN discusses how a Japanese electronics store says the TiBooks have been discontinued.

Earlier in this thread, salty chips said the TiBook ship date is October, a usual indication that the models have been EOL'ed.

[/roundup]
  • Reply 211 of 304
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    12" PB with 60 Gig hard drive and Super Drive is only $1733. Apple Care is now only 239 from 349.

Will Apple keep these prices when they release the new models?
  • Reply 212 of 304
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

12" PB with 60 Gig hard drive and Super Drive is only $1733. Apple Care is now only 239 from 349.

Will Apple keep these prices when they release the new models?

I think it's safe to say no.
  • Reply 213 of 304
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    From macnews.net.tc

"Rumour sites all over the world have been speculating that the 15" Titanium PowerBook would be replaced by an Alu one 'soon after the release of the 17" PowerBook'. However, this has turned out not to be the case. Even MWNY 2003 came and went without such an announcement.

Recent information by two independent sources let us believe that Apple will wait until September (!) for a complete overhaul of the PowerBook line.

According to those sources, the new PowerBook line will follow the Alu 12" and 17" looks and will be available with processors from 1.1 GHz to 1.3 GHz (all PowerPC 7457, G4) in 12, 15 and 17" designs.

The motherboards will feature on-board ATi graphics chips, moving away from the recently introduced nVidia chips in PowerBooks.

The rumours about a two processor 17" model seem to be false."
  • Reply 214 of 304
    This supports my theory of Apple waiting out the back to school shopping season before doing anything. Paris will have new PBs and iMacs it seems.
  • Reply 215 of 304
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

This supports my theory of Apple waiting out the back to school shopping season before doing anything. Paris will have new PBs and iMacs it seems.

College starts the 24th of August for me. September is for lots of students AFTER the school shopping season.
  • Reply 216 of 304
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

College starts the 24th of August for me. September is for lots of students AFTER the school shopping season.

School starts in mid September in California and a lot of other places. They have to wait until everyone's back in school before they release new models.
  • Reply 217 of 304
    Quote:

For me the frustration comes from not knowing what's coming.

We should collect sentences like this. AppleInsider: Deep Insights

Greetings,

DM2
  • Reply 218 of 304
    delphikidelphiki Posts: 76member
    Quote:

School starts in mid September in California and a lot of other places. They have to wait until everyone's back in school before they release new models.

To tick off the most people, you mean?
  • Reply 219 of 304
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

My kids go back at the end of August. Most of the schools 'round here do as well.
  • Reply 220 of 304
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I posted this same info in the othe thread but here it is agan...

A good sign of channel clearing...

From powerbook central...

Apple Store has slashed prices for Education customers (students and teachers) across the board by as much as $150. We can only assume that this is to encourage students and educators to purchase new equipment as we approach the new school year. These prices are for individuals purchasing new Macs -- the prices are now the same as for those purchasing equipment for their schools. Prices for all Macs were lowered with the exception of the base eMac and base iBook:

12" iBook/Combo: $1199 was $1249

14" iBook/Combo: $1399 was $1449

12" PowerBook/Combo: $1399 was $1499

12" PowerBook/SuperDrive: $1599 was $1699

15" PowerBook/Combo: $1799 was $1899

15" PowerBook/SuperDrive: $2299 was $2449

17" PowerBook: $2999 was $3149

eMac 1GHz/Combo: $849 was $949

eMac 1GHz/SuperDrive: $1099 was $1149

15" iMac: $1199 was $1249

17" iMac: $1699 was $1749

1.6GHz Power Mac: $1799 was $1899