G5 TV commercial: Anybody see it?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, it certainly makes you want to see it through to the end, which seperates it from 90% of the other commercials out there. How many people are going to see this guy slam into the tree, see the camera pan to the house with the hole blown out of the side, and then click the channel?

Maybe not a homerun, but I liked it. Much better than some of the crap they've spewed out in the past.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Well, it certainly makes you want to see it through to the end, which seperates it from 90% of the other commercials out there. How many people are going to see this guy slam into the tree, see the camera pan to the house with the hole blown out of the side, and then click the channel?

I would have, had I not known that it was an Apple commercial. I have seen this same basic idea used over and over and over to the point where it has no effect on me whatsoever.

Anyone care for a pop-tart?
  • Reply 63 of 102
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    A better variation on this theme was the guy sitting in a chair listening to some Sony product. It got the message across with out going over the top. And it could be used for both tv and print.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    hehe... yeah a guy sitting in a chair is a real grabber...
  • Reply 65 of 102
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    MacsRGood4U,

I agree the "Think Different" concept was a 'holier than thou' campaign setting Apple apart from the others by suggesting they they were elite, but I wasn't suggesting that the G5 ad is along those lines. It isn't a Think Different ad. The ad is just simply different from the other computer ads on television. It doesn't portray any message of being elite or for the elite user. Just because it doesn't blend in with the other computer ads on TV doesn't imply it's meant for elite users or bound to fail. In advertising, you just need to stand out amongst all the other advertising, get the viewer's attention, and make sure the product you are advertising sticks in their head. I think the G5 ad does all that, and therefore I like it.

This ad is simply targeting people who like a fast computer - no one in specific really. The ad certainly isn't targeting the corporate market, as the G5 is not meant for corporate use. Corporations want a truckload of computers they can get for $400 a piece - obviously you're not going to see a G5 sitting on the desk of some corporate exec or his secretary. The G5, and therefore the ad, does not appeal to corporate buyers. The ad is entertaining, so the people who will actually use a G5, those in the media creation business, well like the ad, and when they see that beauty sitting on the desk in all of it's glory, they will want one.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

His wife/girlfriend is kinda hot.

I agree. In a sharp kind of way.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Would have been so much better if that display was going ape shit with some mind-blowingly fast "important graphics stuff" moving all over it.

It's uh, just like, sitting there.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    Quote:

mind-blowingly fast "important graphics stuff" moving all over it.

I do agree with you though.

This ad is just so un-apple. And silly.
  • Reply 69 of 102
    Ad history is full of "entertaining" ads on tv and print that simply never sold product. This ad cannot be, in its present form, translated into print for example. Remember the guy sitting in a chair being "blown" away by the Sony setup in front of him? That worked on tv and in print. It offered the same "wham, bam" effect without going over the top.

Apple's whole approach to their ad campaigns is getting a bit tiresome. Chiat-Day has had the account for a very long time. Most companies have yearly or bi-yearly reviews to see if things are working or not. Apple, in my opinion, needs to seek another agency with fresh ideas. The G5 ad may be new for Apple (well not really, the 1984 ad used the idea of destruction much better) but the concept has been around a long, long time.

One thing though, we're discussing it!
  • Reply 70 of 102
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    If the ad is so great why do you have the product wrong? It wasn't sony.

You are talking of the ad where the guy is slouched in a leather chair and the sound from his speakers is pushing his glass across his side table.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    vitaflovitaflo Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Memo to Apple: Ditch TBWA/Chiat/Day for another agency like Leo Burnett.

Leo Brunett? No way, have you seen their ads for Nintendo? My god they suck.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    Quote:

If the ad is so great why do you have the product wrong? It wasn't sony.

So what was it? Was it Panasonic? It was a long time ago and I forgot the brand. Nevertheless, it was a good campaign at the time and wasn't overtly violent, just amusing.
  • Reply 73 of 102
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

His wife/girlfriend is kinda hot.

hey how do you know thats not his mom!
  • Reply 74 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The best ad for the G5 would be if he sat down, started to edit in FCP or Photoshop, and got faster and faster and faster until he and the screen were just blurs.
  • Reply 75 of 102
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

hey how do you know thats not his mom!

Even better.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Would have been so much better if that display was going ape shit with some mind-blowingly fast "important graphics stuff" moving all over it.

It's uh, just like, sitting there.

Like the old PowerMac G3 commercials!
  • Reply 77 of 102
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Well, the official version is up on the Apple site. Linky
  • Reply 78 of 102
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Could someone find the link that allows me to ctrl-click and save the movie to my hard drive? I tried some names and I couldn' figure out what it was. That would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew
  • Reply 79 of 102
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Get QT Pro.
  • Reply 80 of 102
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Btw, do you see why there is no mouse when the camera is near the G5?

Because he is holding it in his hand! Watch the commercial again. At about 00:00:04 (4 sec) into the movie, you see him getting smashed against the tree. And he still holds the mouse in his hands...