7447/7457

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Don't know if this has been posted yet from: <a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=02VS0llCc5pzMPsvFLn1b2#HP"; target="_blank">http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=02VS0llCc5pzMPsvFLn1b2#HP</a>;



But,

"Host Processors

Motorola's family of host processors is compatible with the powerful and proven PowerPC instruction-set architecture?with the performance, integration and roadmap for a variety of networking and computing applications. Such compatibility is a key feature of the Smart Networks Platform?either as the host-processing core within the PowerQUICC family of integrated communications processors, or as a control plane processor used in conjunction with the C-Port family of network processors.





*\tHow Do I Get an Operating System Running on an MPC7447/7457 Design?



*\tHow Does the Performance of the MPC7447/7457 Compare to Competition?



*\tSynchronizing Instruction and Transaction Ordering with the PowerPC Weak Storage Model"
«13456711

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 214
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Good catch.



    For those wondering, it's a description for a seminar to be delivered at SNDF Dallas, which is held from March 23-26.



    So there's an approximate timeframe for the 7457 to bow in.
  • Reply 2 of 214
    Can someone post the technicals on each of these processors. Is the '57 simply a die shrink of the '55?
  • Reply 3 of 214
    "* How Does the Performance of the MPC7447/7457 Compare to Competition?"



    Hee-hee



    Lemon Bon Bon



  • Reply 4 of 214
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

    <strong>"* How Does the Performance of the MPC7447/7457 Compare to Competition?"



    Hee-hee </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Keep in mind for the embedded market the G4 is a very good chip compared to a lot of the competition. It really isn't meant to compete in the desktop market right now and if it weren't for Apple I doubt it'd even be where it is.
  • Reply 5 of 214
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    From what I've heard about the power dissapation numbers, a .13u SOI G4 in the 1.2-1.8Ghz range would be a nice-nice little CPU for laptops.
  • Reply 6 of 214
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

    <strong>From what I've heard about the power dissapation numbers, a .13u SOI G4 in the 1.2-1.8Ghz range would be a nice-nice little CPU for laptops.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    i hope they'll put a 7457 in the powerbooks, the 7447 has no L3 cache and fits nice in the consumermarket imac/emac and maybe ibook.

    especially if we have to wait a little longer for the ppc970 (you never now)
  • Reply 7 of 214
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Apple havenever before used the low power version, 74x/744x-processors, but instead gone all the way with its big brother 75x/745x, even i PowerBooks, iBooks and iMacs. If I recall correctly. They probably won't do it this time either. One of the diffenrences is the pin out and I guess that it'd be somewhat harder to design two separate chipsets just to use the low power and the high power versions of essentially the same processor.
  • Reply 8 of 214
    [quote]Originally posted by A Random Walk:

    <strong>Can someone post the technicals on each of these processors. Is the '57 simply a die shrink of the '55?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    As moto PDF leaked before, the 7457 introduce process enhancement like .13u and HIP8. AND ! 512Kb L2 cache, support for a 4Mb cache (instead of 2Mb max like the current 7455), support for parity on L3 and also support for 200mhz bus. So we could see a 1.4 and 1.6Ghz G4 soon. (7457 is suppose to go over 2ghz on the roadmap, probably this summer)
  • Reply 9 of 214
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    <a href="http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/MPC7457.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/MPC7457.jpg</a>;



    Doesn't look like anything other than a die shrink.
  • Reply 10 of 214
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

    <strong><a href="http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/MPC7457.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/MPC7457.jpg</a>;



    Doesn't look like anything other than a die shrink.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I tought the 7457 was supposed to have 512kb L2 cache (due to more space availible).
  • Reply 11 of 214
    thttht Posts: 3,249member
    <strong>Originally posted by microtrash:

    support for a 4Mb cache (instead of 2Mb max like the current 7455)</strong>



    The important subtlety here is that the 7457 has support for 4 MByte of private memory backside cache, an embedded hardware feature. I believe regular backside L3 cache support is still 2 MByte.



    [ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: THT ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 214
    ed m.ed m. Posts: 222member
    I don't know if this information has been posted yet, but have a look anyway...



    PDF is here:



    <a href="http://www.geocities.com/lmtncom/xfiles/PPCSALESFACT.pdf"; target="_blank">www.geocities.com/lmtncom/xfiles/PPCSALESFACT.pdf</a>



    And the HTML is here:



    <a href="http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:6gM58WAn1hgC:www.geocities.com/lmtncom/xfiles/PPCSALESFACT.pdf+"MPC7457"&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF-&quot; target="_blank">GeoCities link</a>



    [Edit by Amorph: edited link name to restore board formatting]



    --

    Ed M.



    [ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 214
    Did you notice that in the Motorola/IBM comparison chart on page 4:



    IBM 750CXe or 750FX gets 1624 MIPS @ 700Mhz



    Motorola G4 appears to get 1617 MIPS @ 700 Mhz



    [ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: heaven or las vegas ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 214
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    [quote]Originally posted by heaven or las vegas:

    <strong>Did you notice that in the Motorola/IBM comparison chart on page 4:



    IBM 750CXe or 750FX gets 1624 MIPS @ 700Mhz



    Motorola G4 appears to get 1617 MIPS @ 700 Mhz

    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Not very impressive.



    I'm not upgrading until the powermacs come with either a G5 or the PPC 970. (I could settle for a G4 if it had an integrated DDR memory controller.)
  • Reply 15 of 214
    [quote]Originally posted by heaven or las vegas:

    <strong>Did you notice that in the Motorola/IBM comparison chart on page 4:



    IBM 750CXe or 750FX gets 1624 MIPS @ 700Mhz



    Motorola G4 appears to get 1617 MIPS @ 700 Mhz

    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    No surprise there, really... the G4 family has gone to a longer pipeline which impacts performance somewhat but allows higher clock rates. MIPS also doesn't measure double precision floating point performance, which the G4 is superiour at. It also doesn't reflect bus bandwidth. And of course, no AltiVec.



    Since they list the 7455 to a maximum of 1 GHz and the 7457 to a maximum of 1.3 GHz, that probably means we can expect to see Apple using 7457s somewhat in excess of 1.3 GHz.



    So it looks like the 7457-RM is still on the roadmap for approximately the beginning of 2004. That ought to do well in Apple's portable and low-end lineup.
  • Reply 16 of 214
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ed M.:

    <strong>I don't know if this information has been posted yet, but have a look anyway...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    You people amaze me, even if the MPC 7457 doesn't, finding information on the web. I was expecting the 0.13µ process long ago, hopefully this isn't BS and the MPC 7457 is very near production, finally.



    I imagine if the person that leaked that document is found out they will be in serious trouble.
  • Reply 17 of 214
    arw2arw2 Posts: 4member
    [quote]Originally posted by rickag:

    <strong>You people amaze me...finding information on the web.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    This is an internet BB afterall.What else is there to do?
  • Reply 18 of 214
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    [quote]

    <strong>



    Since they list the 7455 to a maximum of 1 GHz and the 7457 to a maximum of 1.3 GHz, that probably means we can expect to see Apple using 7457s somewhat in excess of 1.3 GHz.



    So it looks like the 7457-RM is still on the roadmap for approximately the beginning of 2004. That ought to do well in Apple's portable and low-end lineup.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Sooo ... Can we expect the 7457 in the new portable lineup ? Or is it still too soon ?
  • Reply 19 of 214
    [quote]Originally posted by BigBlue:

    <strong>



    Sooo ... Can we expect the 7457 in the new portable lineup ? Or is it still too soon ?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    They just introduced a flagship laptop that isn't even shipping for a while, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you're not going to see a 7457 in a laptop within the next 6 months or so. The PowerBooks usually lag behind the desktop machines for at least one product cycle. Whatever's next is going to show up in the PowerMacs first.



    Alex
  • Reply 20 of 214
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Alexander:

    <strong>



    They just introduced a flagship laptop that isn't even shipping for a while, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you're not going to see a 7457 in a laptop within the next 6 months or so. The PowerBooks usually lag behind the desktop machines for at least one product cycle. Whatever's next is going to show up in the PowerMacs first.



    Alex</strong><hr></blockquote>



    i dont know... havent there been cases where the powerbooks were the first to use a new processor?



    wallstreets come to mind and the 7410....maybe not...cant remember
Sign In or Register to comment.