College Background of AO/AI Posters

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Eh, I'll join the fray. About to be a Senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Political Science with an emphasis in International Relations, with a history minor.

And I spent my Junior year abroad at the University of London, Queen Mary and Westfield College.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

B.Arch. (not B.A.!) Cornell University

I'll give you one guess what I'm doing with it.

BuonRotto,

When did you graduate?? I finished the program in 1999. Did you ever have a section with Jerry Wells or Alex Kira?

• Reply 23 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meaningless

BuonRotto,

When did you graduate?? I finished the program in 1999. Did you ever have a section with Jerry Wells or Alex Kira?

Uh-oh, we must know one another. I graduated in '98. Had Wells, no Kira (he was, uh, dealt with by another studio when I had Wells). Wells was always riding my back after that semester. I had Miller 3 times (well, including all of first year)!
  • Reply 24 of 91
    Hey...I graduated in '98 too! Happy belated Dragon Day...

(whistles "Far Above Cayuga's Waters....")
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

university of oklahoma - BA political science with a minor in history

university of central oklahoma - graphic design

edit: never did a damned thing with the my poli-sci degree. i took a year off and decided to go back to school and get another degree in graphic design. after later discussions with one of my profs, found out that it was unnecessary for me to try an obtain another degree since i already had one, so i just took all the relevant classes i needed to get my start in the biz and build a healthy student portfolio.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I'm about to start my 5th, and final, semester (change my requirements to graduate will ya, grr...) at Monroe Community College in Rochester NY. I'm supposed to be transferring to Rochester Institute of Technology after here for design/visual communication, and have already been accepted for the transfer. I'm not sure if I'm going to though, one of my teachers suggested I go to SVA in New York City.

thu Freak, besides the part where they kicked you out, how did you like RIT? Besides the school's reputation and the parties I've been to there, I haven't seen any other reason I'd wanna go. I wanna stay kinda close to home, but I don't really want to be stuck in Rochester any longer.

well, first, SVA is a great school. my best friend goes there, and he loves it. they dont rag you on the b.s. classes there as much (or atleast, through my second hand acct, they dont seem to). and you can't beat the big apple for fun factor. its only an hour plane from the roch too.

but, then again, i really loved rit, and hate myself for flunking out. the school is really awesome. i loved everything about it (well, except for the daunting lack of ladies). even while i was headed down the long road to leaving, they were cool. they tried helping me out right down to the last week. the only part i didnt like was class, but same goes fer anywhere, i guess. as a geek, i loved how geekiness was common there. after comp sci, i think art majors are most common, so you'd probably be able to find 'design/visual comm' majors with similar interests too. and lets not forget: the reason i got kicked out is cuz i had so much fun. thuh Freak + drugs + alcohol == leavin' college.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

I graduated in '98.

::does math::

Five years, eh? You take your exams yet?
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:

Uh-oh, we must know one another. I graduated in '98. Had Wells, no Kira (he was, uh, dealt with by another studio when I had Wells). Wells was always riding my back after that semester. I had Miller 3 times (well, including all of first year)!

OK, I gurantee you that we know each other if you had Miller all of first year! I was supposed to graduate in '98. The Kira incident happened during my (our?) second year. The dragon was holding a cube that the engineers stole just at the end and the upper classmen chased them down to retrieve it.

I had Carragon, Jerry's buddy.

Oooo, this is intriguing now.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, first, SVA is a great school. my best friend goes there, and he loves it. they dont rag you on the b.s. classes there as much (or atleast, through my second hand acct, they dont seem to). and you can't beat the big apple for fun factor. its only an hour plane from the roch too.

but, then again, i really loved rit, and hate myself for flunking out. the school is really awesome. i loved everything about it (well, except for the daunting lack of ladies). even while i was headed down the long road to leaving, they were cool. they tried helping me out right down to the last week. the only part i didnt like was class, but same goes fer anywhere, i guess. as a geek, i loved how geekiness was common there. after comp sci, i think art majors are most common, so you'd probably be able to find 'design/visual comm' majors with similar interests too. and lets not forget: the reason i got kicked out is cuz i had so much fun. thuh Freak + drugs + alcohol == leavin' college.

Yeah, the idea of going to NYC for 2 years is really tempting to me. I know a lot of people that go to RIT, but none for design, and I've been up their dorms and the apartments for parties the last few years. I'm really impressed by the whole campus and everything but a few of my professors at MCC have told me that the teachers at RIT aren't really that supportive and too competitive of classes. Either way I'm not sure yet, but thanks for the opinion.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    I'm not sure I want you people to know who I am!

Happy belated Dragon Day, VanDeWaals.

Timo, I'm in IDP limbo, having just ordered my qualifications be sent to the State Board of Architects. It takes several months to get a response from them, on top of the several weeks it takes for NCARB to get the materials together.

It's been a real b*tch getting CA experience, and I just barely have the credits now. Most others have wisely decided to fudge their numbers a bit more. Then again, I'm working under someone who 11 years out of grad school does not have his license.

Quote:

OK, I gurantee you that we know each other if you had Miller all of first year! I was supposed to graduate in '98. The Kira incident happened during my (our?) second year. The dragon was holding a cube that the engineers stole just at the end and the upper classmen chased them down to retrieve it.

I had Carragon, Jerry's buddy.

You are one of two people, I think. I was in Kent's section when Alex was in town, and I was in Jerry's section that infamous semester in second year. There was Richardson's section, Z-Force (Zago and Sophia), Wells, and Kira that semester, yes? I did helmets for Ezra and A.D. White for our Dragon Day, which were promptly removed the next morning, plus I strung up some of the scales on the Roman Dragon (I'm the one who made them look crappy, thought I was out of time at it was about 4 hours to showtime). Damn, that morning was cold.

What's your marital status?
  • Reply 31 of 91
    BuonRotto - Small world.

You have problems getting CA points and I am up to my eyeballs with CA duties. At this point, my design points equals a fat zero. \ Eh!

I may join your architect boss and be in the profession w/o a stinking license if I don't get my IDP started. Hmm, what was that about architects and procrastination?

I think I can guess who you are. I'll email later. If I am mistaken, it's still cool that one of the class of '98 frequents Appleinsider!

PS: Thanks, VanDeWaals. Now I can't get the song out of my head!!
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:

PS: Thanks, VanDeWaals. Now I can't get the song out of my head!!

• Reply 33 of 91
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Yeah, the idea of going to NYC for 2 years is really tempting to me. I know a lot of people that go to RIT, but none for design, and I've been up their dorms and the apartments for parties the last few years. I'm really impressed by the whole campus and everything but a few of my professors at MCC have told me that the teachers at RIT aren't really that supportive and too competitive of classes. Either way I'm not sure yet, but thanks for the opinion.

i found most of the teachers were quite supportive actually. they weren't checking up on me all the time, but when i fell behind they sent me emails and even called me to tell about the free peer tutoring programs and asked how they could help and shit. of course, i didnt really go in for that, but it wasn't for their lack of trying. a number of my profs, despite my efforts against it, learned my name and knew me apart from the hundreds of kids in one of their classes. its different, of course, with huge classes like chem101, where theres 7452 kids in the room. it also depends on which prof too. the first time i failed a test in calc, the prof was all over me about getting help; but a few terms later, a different prof didnt really give any particular notice that i was failing. i never got a competitive feel in any of my classes; never tried to rank myself among the students and none of my profs gave any hint of that either. of course, all this opinion is based on limited exposure to the school. for all i know, the last few years are the complete opposite. which reminds me, rit is like the only school in the world thats 5 years. that could be an important part of your decision.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i found most of the teachers were quite supportive actually. they weren't checking up on me all the time, but when i fell behind they sent me emails and even called me to tell about the free peer tutoring programs and asked how they could help and shit. of course, i didnt really go in for that, but it wasn't for their lack of trying. a number of my profs, despite my efforts against it, learned my name and knew me apart from the hundreds of kids in one of their classes. its different, of course, with huge classes like chem101, where theres 7452 kids in the room. it also depends on which prof too. the first time i failed a test in calc, the prof was all over me about getting help; but a few terms later, a different prof didnt really give any particular notice that i was failing. i never got a competitive feel in any of my classes; never tried to rank myself among the students and none of my profs gave any hint of that either. of course, all this opinion is based on limited exposure to the school. for all i know, the last few years are the complete opposite. which reminds me, rit is like the only school in the world thats 5 years. that could be an important part of your decision.

I'm still thinking about going there a little, I've just been told that a lot of the classes in the design department are way too competitive and the teachers for them aren't as helpful as most places. I'll have to find somebody that went to RIT for art or graphic design.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Timo, I'm in IDP limbo, having just ordered my qualifications be sent to the State Board of Architects. It takes several months to get a response from them, on top of the several weeks it takes for NCARB to get the materials together.

It's been a real b*tch getting CA experience, and I just barely have the credits now. Most others have wisely decided to fudge their numbers a bit more. Then again, I'm working under someone who 11 years out of grad school does not have his license.

I remember my own IDP hell. One of the best things I ever put into my past. Good luck on the upcoming exam, and PM me if you want some more advice than this: don't be 11 years out of graduate school w/o a license.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

Hey...I graduated in '98 too! Happy belated Dragon Day...

(whistles "Far Above Cayuga's Waters....")

can't beleive all of you went to cornell. . .

*looks out of home window into the acacia and alpha gamma rho fraternaties*
  • Reply 37 of 91
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife finished here AIA registration process some years ago. She was 100% sure she failed the structure part of the exam. After several week and forgetting about it she comes running up the stairs to our apartment so fast I literally thought someone was after her. Next thing I know she's jumping around like Flick yelling "I passed I passed". Freak! Oh and she does have a B Arch.

Anyway I have a BS in physics and PhD in medical physics. And yes I am using my degree. I was using it today. It was fun and will be for the next 40 years
  • Reply 38 of 91
    I have a friend (also the friend of VanDeWaals and Meaningless) who has been taking the exam, and was sure he failed one of the written portions. He dropped in on me a few weeks ago, and accosted me with obscure questions he had to answer on the ARE. He managed to pass somehow, but it certainly put the fear of God in me. If it's not too long ago, congratulate your wife for me, Scott.

Timo, I might take you up on some advice in a couple weeks. A few of us are going to try to study for the ARE at the same time. I'm also hoping to take some more prep courses through my firm, though that might not happen given the current economic situation. Our firm doesn't really do a whole lot to encourage or help with licensing or internships. They lost the study guides in the library. Twice.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

B.S. Chemical Engineering, Cornell University

M.S. Chemical Engineering, MIT

Just got my Masters in June, and still unemployed \

I refrained from posting in the other thread about educational value, because frankly right now I'm just frustrated and don't know.

I feel for you, man.

My background is a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering '92 from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. I graduated right into the midst of a recession, too. It ain't no fun. If there is anything to pass on to you "kiddies", it is this:

[Arnold Schwartzenegger voice goes, "NOW LISTEN TO ME VERY CLOSELY"]

If you are heading off to college soon, try to sync it with the economy cycle. If it looks like the projected graduation date will land on a recession cycle, fuk-it. Take a few years break or try some intern action in the meantime. Then jump back onto the college track when it looks like the graduation date will land at the beginning of an economic rally. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches and heartaches (not to mention sending off pointless piles of resumes which will do you very little good during an economic downturn unless you are the very creme of the creme of the crop). Steer your children in a similar direction, as well.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Freshman

University of California @ Berkeley

College of Evironmental Design - Architecture Major/Civil Engineering Minor