College Background of AO/AI Posters

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Soon to be freshman Pomona College in California.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    wagneritewagnerite Posts: 174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Soon to be freshman Pomona College in California.

pomona college is great. i took a couple of classes there when i was a claremont grad school.

anyway, mine is as follows

elementary school (taiwan)

middle school (taiwan)

middle school (US)

middle school (US)

middle school (US) not typo, i went to four different MS in two countries

HS (US from now on)... expelled

HS (continuation HS)

HS (normal) finally

community college (3yr)

CSU fullerton (3yr BA Music)... see above re: expelled.... read "stupid, I am"

Claremont graduate university (MA vocal performance [opera stuff])

UC riverside (single subject teaching credential, in music)

since credential is in music, i'm unemployeed

kinda weird seeing your own educational background summed up in one tiny post god I'm pathetic
  • Reply 63 of 91
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wagnerite

pomona college is great. i took a couple of classes there when i was a claremont grad school.

anyway, mine is as follows

elementary school (taiwan)

middle school (taiwan)

middle school (US)

middle school (US)

middle school (US) not typo, i went to four different MS in two countries

HS (US from now on)... expelled

HS (continuation HS)

HS (normal) finally

community college (3yr)

CSU fullerton (3yr BA Music)... see above re: expelled.... read "stupid, I am"

Claremont graduate university (MA vocal performance [opera stuff])

UC riverside (single subject teaching credential, in music)

since credential is in music, i'm unemployeed

kinda weird seeing your own educational background summed up in one tiny post god I'm pathetic

Wagerite, it may be the evil, bad tabloid side of me, but what the heck got you expelled from CSUF? I am curious because my degree is in music from CSULB. I even use to take trumpet lessons from Dave Evans who taught over at CSUF.

You didn't happen to belong to Phi Mu Alpha at all did you?

Nick
  • Reply 64 of 91
    wagneritewagnerite Posts: 174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Wagerite, it may be the evil, bad tabloid side of me, but what the heck got you expelled from CSUF? I am curious because my degree is in music from CSULB. I even use to take trumpet lessons from Dave Evans who taught over at CSUF.

You didn't happen to belong to Phi Mu Alpha at all did you?

Nick

no i didn't get expelled from csuf. what i meant to say is that since i got expelled when I was in highschool, i'm not too bright, which is why it took me three years at csuf.

i didn't belong to phi mu... sorry
  • Reply 65 of 91
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    what did you get expelled in HS for?
  • Reply 66 of 91
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    BSc Computer Science/Artificial Intelligene, University of Edinburgh, First class. Starting my degree in the late 90s made me overestimate the availability of graduate positions in the tech sector.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

what did you get expelled in HS for?

posession of marijuana (a nickle worth) under zero tolerance.
  • Reply 68 of 91
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    zero tolerance == zero thought
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

zero tolerance == zero thought

not saying what i did was right, but thanx scott
  • Reply 70 of 91
    If you think about it it's true. With ZT school admin's don't have to think. They just act. The OpinionJournal web site covers these type of stories under the headline "Zero Tolerance Watch". It's got full on inane bullshit like the first grader that got suspend for pretending his chicken finger was a gun. Just search there for that head line and be shocked at the inane stupidity of our school admin's.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:

If you think about it it's true. With ZT school admin's don't have to think. They just act. The OpinionJournal web site covers these type of stories under the headline "Zero Tolerance Watch". It full on inane bullshit like the first grader that got suspend for pretending his chicken finger was a gun. Just search there for that head line and be shocked at the inane stupidity of our school admin's.

i completely agree with you. i will always admit that i was in the wrong. although, the expulsion did straighten me out. HOWEVER, a big however, i am very bitter now. still am! \
  • Reply 72 of 91
    Ahh damn that sucks. I do agree with Scott on a lot of those points, although I don't condone the marijuana...I just hope that was the only time (or last) that you've been involved with that ish.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    UC Berkeley (1 yr, academic probation after a 20 unit quarter)

University of San Diego (2-1/2 yrs, academic probation after a 20 unit semester)

University of Wisconsin Extension (one class)

UC Berkeley Extension (3 classes)

San Jose City College (about a year)

California State University, Hayward (a few classes)

UC San Diego Extension (about 1-1/2 yrs)

Cañada College (community college, Redwood City, CA, about a year)

San Francisco State University (1 yr+, finally survived a 20 unit semester)

degree? ummm ...

oh, yeah ... I have a mail order degree from some place called

Thomas Edison State College in New Jersey

"Associate of Science in Applied Nuclear Technology" or something like that
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Why are you overloading yourself? When I was in school I spent a huge amount of time on E&M. Aced it. Never could have done that with with an overloaded schedule.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    Quote:

Why are you overloading yourself? When I was in school I spent a huge amount of time on E&M. Aced it. Never could have done that with with an overloaded schedule.

(1) Way back when ...

I intended to major in Chemistry. Then I read that Berkeley had one of the top 5 undergraduate programs in the country in English, so I though, why not double major? Plus, Berkeley had so many interesting classes I wanted to take. # classes / 4 years + no mandatory class advising = take as many as I could sign up for

(2) Fast forward 25 years+

deleted stuff

Edit: trying to finish before my GI Bill runs out.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

(1) Way back when ...

I intended to major in Chemistry. Then I read that Berkeley had one of the top 5 undergraduate programs in the country in English, so I though, why not double major? Plus, Berkeley had so many interesting classes I wanted to take. # classes / 4 years + no mandatory class advising = take as many as I could sign up for

You must be a scheduling god. I had enough problems fitting 14 credits together without conflicts and getting into that few classes nevermind 20 credits a semester and making sure to meet requirements for 2 majors.

I'm impressed
  • Reply 77 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Only 14 credits?! Mwhahahah! I laugh at your puny credits! Call me when you have 22 lined up.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Only 14 credits?! Mwhahahah! I laugh at your puny credits! Call me when you have 22 lined up.

Just first semester. That's what they told me to take.

After this i have to take more realistic semesters. But apparently they recommend you ease your way in.

Either way, still seems like a lot to me
  • Reply 79 of 91
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I'm impressed

Not so impressive back then. UC Berkeley now has discussion sections built into their courses, which I hear makes scheduling very difficult. In 1974 there were lectures and laboratories, but no discussions.

deleted stuff
  • Reply 80 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

Not so impressive back then. UC Berkeley now has discussion sections built into their courses, which I hear makes scheduling very difficult. In 1974 there were lectures and laboratories, but no discussions.

yes, that is the main problem. the discussion groups are too often and much too long and for every class

Quote:

By the way, when I first went to Berkeley, the School of Architecture building was said to be the ugliest buildings on campus. Now some of the other buildings that were bare concrete (such as Evans Hall) now have painted exteriors, but from what I've seen of the back of the School of Architecture, it looks the same.

it is the ugliest building but its unique and interesting. everything in the interior is exposed. as an architecture student its a very cool building because you learn a lot from it.

Quote:

On a note unrelated to this topic, all the computers I've seen in the libraries are Wintel PCs. Admin offices seem to favor iMacs and the Physics labs have iMacs and PowerPCs. In 1974 we had to compete for computer time and ran programs with punch cards.

at Orientation one of the professors made a speech about Stanford Vs. Berkeley and used Berkeley's Mac presence and ease of use as an advantage. it was a stupid story just made for laughs and not all that true (Stanford has loads of macs) but it was cool to see him mention macs and using safari and OS X none the less