Schwarzenegger to run for govenor of California

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 71
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rok

    oh, good lord. headline news says even gallagher (yeah, THAT gallagher) is gonna run, too.



    um, which AI members here are actually from California??? what the holy hell f*ck is going on out there?!?!?




    I will, and it'll be my first election.



    How um..... exciting.... i think.





    I vill vote for zee terminator!
  • Reply 22 of 71
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    This whole scharade is stranger than when Jesse Ventura won in Minnesota. The rest of the world must be laughing their asses off. Can I get an Amen from Europe? Australia? East Asia? Canada?



    Boy, am I glad I don't live in California. \
  • Reply 23 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If it was Riordan instead of Simon, none of this would have happened. *sigh*
  • Reply 24 of 71
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    His new nickname is governator
  • Reply 25 of 71
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Well Eugene, It being Riordan instead of Simon was all the voting California Republican's fault during the last primary. Davis being afraid of Riordan and not Simon had tons of hit ads against Riordan during the Republican primary. Stupid voters fell for it.



    For those who don't know, Riordan was the popular mildly conservative former mayor of mostly Democratic L.A. He knows how to communicate and compromise and while you may disagree with him, anyone who has meet Riordan (myself included) do believe he is a fine and caring individual. He once cried in his car as he was being driven from an event where he meet a woman whose son was gunned down in gang crossfire. It was a shame he didn't get to run in the general election in 2000. Riordan is the only rich Republican that I would trust to actually attempt to help people as opposed to foward some inane agenda that would benefit a select few.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I just watched his Leno appearance. You know his sell-job wasn't half bad...
  • Reply 27 of 71
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Eugene

    I just watched his Leno appearance. You know his sell-job wasn't half bad...



    No, unfortunately, it wasn't. (Must... resist...urge to leave state!)



    Eh, at least the weather's still good. Circus-like recall elections are much easier to take when it's sunny, 75°, and you can just say "**** it, lets go to the beach."
  • Reply 28 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by agent302

    No, unfortunately, it wasn't. (Must... resist...urge to leave state!)



    Eh, at least the weather's still good. Circus-like recall elections are much easier to take when it's sunny, 75°, and you can just say "**** it, lets go to the beach."




    What did he say?



    He said it's hard to do any worse than Gray Davis. Check.

    He said he's not the only option. Check.



    Plus, he's married to Maria Shriver. I bet he'll be taking campaign advice from Teddy! Isn't Ed Kennedy like the symbolic patriarch of the Democratic Party? My guess is he's a nice moderate non-career politician, rich enough not to care about special interest money, and has the celebrity status to cull most of the population into a placebo induced calm.



    You sound really bitter. Some of us have been bitter for half a decade! Also, maybe Arnold's term could be as successful as his Running Man and The Predator castmate's, Jesse Ventura... Maybe Carl Weathers will run for office too!
  • Reply 29 of 71
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Voting for Schwartznegger.....man oh man...

    The guy's as bright as a 5 watt globe set on dim...
  • Reply 30 of 71
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aquafire

    Voting for Schwartznegger.....man oh man...

    The guy's as bright as a 5 watt globe set on dim...




    and you say this based on?
  • Reply 31 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aquafire

    Voting for Schwartznegger.....man oh man...

    The guy's as bright as a 5 watt globe set on dim...




    You make it seem as though being a successful politician requires intelligence.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Existence

    Gray Davis of course. There will be Gray Davis, the lone Democrat, and 355 other people, among them, several Republicans.



    Gray Davis has nothing to worry about.




  • Reply 33 of 71
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Salinger

    Check your facts dude....





    that's from Rueters News Service









    Again, your ignorance is shining. Gray Davis isn't running for Governor. He isn't running for anything, unless you consider running for not getting fired. He's only on the first part of the ballet, the part where people decide whether or not to fire him. Then people vote on who succeeds him. This part may consist of 400 people, although it's likely that realistically only 30 or 40 will actually file, but no matter how many there are, Gray Davis won't be one of them.



    Yes, it's true that he's suing to be allowed to have his name on the second part, but that's a bunch of dogshyt.




    Exactly. Davis, IMO, is screwed any way one slices it.



    I don't know, the Governator did really well last night. I was expecting even more fluff than he offered. But, in addition to his predictable (yet LOL) lines, he offered up some very candid thoughts. I have to be honest: Judging by the media circus and reaction of the audience, I think he's going to win. He seems enourmously popular.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    he's a gentle giant. a very likable character





    he's gonna win.



    no contest
  • Reply 35 of 71
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    What I am interested in seeing is how this is going to continue to be spun as a conservative Republican plot when Cruz Bustamante has entered along with John Garamendi. I suppose now it is a liberal Hispanic, Democratic plot right?



    Why is it so hard for people to see that this isn't a plot, that Davis lied, even inteferred with other political parties primaries and now he is going to be fired.



    Nick
  • Reply 36 of 71
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Eugene

    What did he say?



    He said it's hard to do any worse than Gray Davis. Check.

    He said he's not the only option. Check.



    Plus, he's married to Maria Shriver. I bet he'll be taking campaign advice from Teddy! Isn't Ed Kennedy like the symbolic patriarch of the Democratic Party? My guess is he's a nice moderate non-career politician, rich enough not to care about special interest money, and has the celebrity status to cull most of the population into a placebo induced calm.



    You sound really bitter. Some of us have been bitter for half a decade! Also, maybe Arnold's term could be as successful as his Running Man and The Predator castmate's, Jesse Ventura... Maybe Carl Weathers will run for office too!




    I was agreeing with you that the sell-job was pretty good when I said that it was unfortunate. Sure, I think that Davis has been a fairly lousy governor, but I also place a high value on the electoral process, which is also why I admire Feinstein right now in her willingness to not run for governor.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Eugene

    I just watched his Leno appearance. You know his sell-job wasn't half bad...



    You must have watched a different program than me. It was pathetic. He sounded like Perot: "I'm going to clean house. I'm going to get rid of the special interests. I'm going to give Sacramento back to the people." Blah blah. A whole lot of vapid nothing. I suppose it's appealing to the Leno watchers and the swing-voter morons.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Salinger

    [Gray Davis is] only on the first part of the ballet, the part where people decide whether or not to fire him. Then people vote on who succeeds him. This part may consist of 400 people, although it's likely that realistically only 30 or 40 will actually file, but no matter how many there are, Gray Davis won't be one of them.



    So, if the first part of the ballot succeeds, and Gray Davis gets booted, who wins out of the 10+ candidates who'll be running? Are there provisions for a run-off election if no one gets more than 50% of the vote, or does a simple plurality win the governors office? It would be a real fiasco if a candidate getting something like 15% of the votes wins, because everyone else has numbers starting near 15% and trailing off from there.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by agent302

    I was agreeing with you that the sell-job was pretty good when I said that it was unfortunate. Sure, I think that Davis has been a fairly lousy governor, but I also place a high value on the electoral process, which is also why I admire Feinstein right now in her willingness to not run for governor.



    Feinstein's not running because her political career has been stable forever, and she has no reason to risk putting a blemish on her resume trying to piece back together all the broken pieces. I doubt the decision was heavily influenced by her respect for the system.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BRussell

    You must have watched a different program than me. It was pathetic. He sounded like Perot: "I'm going to clean house. I'm going to get rid of the special interests. I'm going to give Sacramento back to the people." Blah blah. A whole lot of vapid nothing. I suppose it's appealing to the Leno watchers and the swing-voter morons.



    Great...And he still sounds like a better option than having Davis complete his term. Even if Schwarzenegger wins and does nothing but twiddle his thumbs in Sacramento, it wouldn't be any different than what Davis has already done (or not done.)
Sign In or Register to comment.