Schwarzenegger to run for govenor of California

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Scwartzy has good chance to become the next governor of California, but he will never be president of the united states. I am ready to bet a dual G5 on this one.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Scwartzy has good chance to become the next governor of California, but he will never be president of the united states. I am ready to bet a dual G5 on this one.

He wasn't born in the US, so that's one big mother of a strike against him.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Good answer : you have win a cookie , but now, nobody will want to bet with me
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Quote:

Feinstein's not running because her political career has been stable forever, and she has no reason to risk putting a blemish on her resume trying to piece back together all the broken pieces. Her doubt he decision was heavily influenced by her respect for the system.

Recalls have been part of the system out there for a long time. (Reagan was once threatened with a recall effort when he was governor.) The big difference here is this one may succeed. There probably should be a review of the part of California's Constitution that allows for recalls making clearer the grounds for such an action. Maybe it should be reserved for situations where the incumbent is corrupt. That said, I'm glad it's not. This is simply a great story.

By the way, has Loretta Sanchez jumped in yet? She's the one who beat Dornan, right? With Cruz Bustamonte entering the race, it looks like Davis' political career is starting to swirl around the drain.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

the daily show should offer the only live debate, with larry flynt, arnold schwarzenegger, gary coleman, Arianna Huffington and her divorced husband and gray davis.

and have jerry springer orchestrate the whole thing.

in fact, i am sending them a suggestion email RIGHT NOW.

I can just see it now. Flynt tells Arianna to "strip for me, baby"!
  • Reply 46 of 71
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    as of CNN's completely unscientific poll.

The "Terminator 61% 47524 votes

A "Smut-peddler who cares" 7% 5157 votes

A melon-smashing comedian 3% 2149 votes

A socialite-turned-columnist 4% 2796 votes

A "Diff'rent Strokes" actor 4% 3014 votes

None of the above 22% 16699 votes

Total: 77339 votes
  • Reply 47 of 71
    To those who wonder if the rest of the world will laugh at you because of this, I can assure you that large parts of it will. Except that the joke isn't funny anymore.

Great country, wierd country.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You must have watched a different program than me. It was pathetic. He sounded like Perot...

Perot got a lot of traction with the voters, If back in 1992 he hadn't jumped out and then back into the race, I think he would have done even better. As it was, his showing was the strongest since TR's race as a Bull Moose back in 1912. And TR was a former president.

Even though he came in third in the balloting, Perot ended up founding a third party - no small feat even if he did have a hand in it's subsequent destruction. In 1996 he wouldn't step aside and let Dick Lamm run for president as the Reform candidate. With that election it became apparent to many of his supporters that Perot saw the Reform Party as a vehicle for some kind of personal ego trip. He didn't share their dream of sustaining a real political movement.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

To those who wonder if the rest of the world will laugh at you because of this, I can assure you that large parts of it will. Except that the joke isn't funny anymore.

you should talk
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

Glenn Reynolds excerpts this from Lileks today:

Quote:

... Will he win? Well, he'll bring new voters to the polls - we saw this in Minnesota with Jesse. People who never voted will find it cool to vote for Arnie, and even though they might not be the most sophisticated participant in the process, they'll probably intuit that a vote isn't just a thumbs-up statement. It means something. Yelling "I bought your video" doesn't really put an actor in your debt, but shouting "I voted for you" somehow does.

In any case, it'll change a few minds about the possibilities of politics. All their life they saw politicians as nothing more than nerdy bloodless grinbots, and now here's this guy: a giant with a gap-tooth smile smoking a Montecristo the size of Gray Davis' shinbone. Heck yeah!

Only in America. And I say that as a good thing. Which reminds me: like all typical examples of American craziness, this will just horrify the Europeans...

Reynolds then adds this:

Quote:

I'm not saying that's reason enough to vote for Arnold, or anything, but it's certainly a plus.

• Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:

Well, it will help him in this race. He can aspire to no higher political office. His focus will be on this job and this job only. That will be a strong sell.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, at least now my old home state of florida can have some other state accept all the negative publicity for a while.

what is wrong with these places? must be all that sun... does something to you after a while, i guess.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    To answer a previous post, the winner of the recall merely needs to get the most votes. No runoffs. Also part of the reason you see so many coming out of the woodwork as opposed to seeing Gary Coleman and his ilk running in a General Election is that for the recall you only need to get 60 signitures from voters registered in your party (I could be wrong and you could only need 60 signitures from just any regisitered voter) to get on the ballot.

This is certainly a flaw in the California Constitution.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

Perot got a lot of traction with the voters,

Yeah, and I'll give you one guess as to how much that changes my opinion of him.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by hegor

... for the recall you only need to get 60 signitures from voters registered in your party (I could be wrong and you could only need 60 signitures from just any regisitered voter) to get on the ballot...

You also need $3500.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah, and I'll give you one guess as to how much that changes my opinion of him.

Just saying. I was no fan of Perot but Arnold could do a LOT worse than come off as another Perot. That wasn't my impression, though.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hegor

Well Eugene, It being Riordan instead of Simon was all the voting California Republican's fault during the last primary. Davis being afraid of Riordan and not Simon had tons of hit ads against Riordan during the Republican primary. Stupid voters fell for it.

For those who don't know, Riordan was the popular mildly conservative former mayor of mostly Democratic L.A. He knows how to communicate and compromise and while you may disagree with him, anyone who has meet Riordan (myself included) do believe he is a fine and caring individual. He once cried in his car as he was being driven from an event where he meet a woman whose son was gunned down in gang crossfire. It was a shame he didn't get to run in the general election in 2000. Riordan is the only rich Republican that I would trust to actually attempt to help people as opposed to foward some inane agenda that would benefit a select few.

I was very, very sad that Riordan lost the primary. He was an amazing mayor for Los Angeles. If they didn't have term limits for mayor, he would have easily won re-election. And if he had made it out of the Republican primary, he would have carried LA (which is largely Democratic) in the general election. Davis saw the poll numbers for LA and knew he had to take Riordan out early.

He said he'd only run in the recall if Arnold bowed out. Too bad we lost out again.

On a separate note, Arianna Huffington has stated that she won't run if her husband does. He's still on the fence, so her candidacy isn't a sure thing yet.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Ok Applenut, I'm not saying my country isn't wierd, or great for that matter, but at least we our politicians are expected to have a record that we can judge them on, not opening weekend grosses. Where does this man stand on any single issue, or will he decide that later? PS The Winston Churchill prom looked fun, his mom was American, do you think he'd stand a chance these days?
  • Reply 59 of 71
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Ok Applenut, I'm not saying my country isn't wierd, or great for that matter, but at least we our politicians are expected to have a record that we can judge them on, not opening weekend grosses. Where does this man stand on any single issue, or will he decide that later? PS The Winston Churchill prom looked fun, his mom was American, do you think he'd stand a chance these days?

Arnold has made his political stance on the issues well known before this fiasco. This isn't Justin Timberlake we're talking about.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Seems I read somewhere that only people born in the USA can run for political office..So even though Arnie has US citizenship he would be disqualified.Yes..No ?

Is this correct..or bull..sh..t ?