Schwarzenegger to run for govenor of California

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Seems I read somewhere that only people born in the USA can run for political office..So even though Arnie has US citizenship he would be disqualified.Yes..No ?

Is this correct..or bull..sh..t ?

He can run for governor and congress, but not the presidency.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Well, considering that Jennifer Granholm is the Gov of Michigan and she's not US born (Canada),

Jerry Springer who was mayor of Cinn, and considered a run for Senate (London, ENG)

Sala Burton, born in Poland, served in US House from CA 5th.

Cali's seventh Governor, John Downey was born in Ireland

Wisconsin has had 5 Foreign born Gov's.

shall I go on?
  • Reply 63 of 71
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Scwartzy has good chance to become the next governor of California, but he will never be president of the united states. I am ready to bet a dual G5 on this one.

As long as we don't set a time limit YOU'RE ON!
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

Well, considering that Jennifer Granholm is the Gov of Michigan and she's not US born (Canada),

Jerry Springer who was mayor of Cinn, and considered a run for Senate (London, ENG)

Sala Burton, born in Poland, served in US House from CA 5th.

Cali's seventh Governor, John Downey was born in Ireland

Wisconsin has had 5 Foreign born Gov's.

shall I go on?

Also, Tom Lantos who serves California's 12th. I like him.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

This whole scharade is stranger than when Jesse Ventura won in Minnesota. The rest of the world must be laughing their asses off. Can I get an Amen from Europe? Australia? East Asia? Canada?

This reminds me of the last presidency election
  • Reply 66 of 71
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Ahnold hasn't made a good decision in movies in 10 years how can anyone expect him to make a good governing decision?

I'd trust him to be a gym teacher... but that's about it.

If Californians elect him they'll get exactly what's coming to them.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

Also, Tom Lantos who serves California's 12th. I like him.

Which is my district. He's okay I guess. He's held that office for years and years and years.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    shawnshawn Posts: 32member
    We have two months to find out where Arnold stands on the issues. No formal debate will take place. Doesn't that seem a bit rushed and a bit incomplete as a supposed tool for democracy? Name recognition will trump all should Davis be recalled. Should Californians vote for Schwarzeneggar because of his personality when they reelected Gray Davis despite it?
  • Reply 69 of 71
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shawn

We have two months to find out where Arnold stands on the issues. No formal debate will take place. Doesn't that seem a bit rushed and a bit incomplete as a supposed tool for democracy? Name recognition will trump all should Davis be recalled. Should Californians vote for Schwarzeneggar because of his personality when they reelected Gray Davis despite it?

and, in classic modern method, arnold will win due to that name recognition (he may be great, who knows? but that will NOT be why he wins), and if he does a good job, people will use that as an excuse to not fix this stupid loophole rule that california seems to have had on the books. the ends always justify the means these days, i guess. get used to it.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Anyone decrying Mr. Schwarzenegger's intelligence should first ask themselves how many languages they're fluent in. Then ask yourself if you're married into the Kennedy dynasty.

He's not another dumb stick in the mud, although the people running with him are making this election a bit comical.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    shawnshawn Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Anyone decrying Mr. Schwarzenegger's intelligence should first ask themselves how many languages they're fluent in. Then ask yourself if you're married into the Kennedy dynasty.

He's not another dumb stick in the mud, although the people running with him are making this election a bit comical.

Bush agrees.

In fact, he based his endorsement of Arnold on "good, solid intelligence."