Aug 18th Powerbook Update... Will it Happen?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Well Apple has one day left to make the Powerbook announcment othrewise yet another "RUMOR" will be frivously proved WRONG !!!!

APPLE, I'm still betting you'll pull through...

But once again I think I got my hopes up for nothing but another downer!

They're called rumor's for a reason.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Didn't someone on this forum say a random woman he bumped into at an Apple Store claimed new PowerBooks on August 25th...this is looking more and more likely. The thing that makes me nervous about bringing that up is that the woman he was talking about said they'd be G5s...and we all know that isn't happening.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    there are no random women, only pseudo-random women

the random seed generator has imperfect math.

and the same allegedly random woman said "size doesn't matter"
  • Reply 64 of 73
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

there are no random women, only pseudo-random women

the random seed generator has imperfect math.

and the same allegedly random woman said "size doesn't matter"

Size shouldn't matter if we're starting at 12" and going up from there.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Size shouldn't matter if we're starting at 12" and going up from there.

it's all about battery life with some
  • Reply 66 of 73
    http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/Web...y?newsID=11323

Aluminum PowerBook 15 Confirmed for This Week

Monday, August 18, 2003

Jason O'Grady

From the Hardware Dept.

PowerPage sources come through again with new data on the new PowerBook 15-inch announcement.

A reliable PowerPage source who has seen the new PB15" and its box describes it as looking just like a 17-inch except smaller. Some notes:

Ports on right side

1.25GHz G4 processor

Firewire 800 on board

nVIDIA video cards across the 12, 15 and 17

We have also received word that Apple plans to announce four new products this week. We know that the PB17 is getting a fix, the PB15 is going to Aluminum with an illuminated keyboard and that the PB12 is getting an update but we don't yet know what the fourth product is. Rumors are circulating about an iBook revision, tablet Mac, or (more likely) a new audio application.

Apple is trying to announce the new PB15 by this Friday, but it could happen any time this week. There is a huge push to get the new PowerBooks into the channel for the lucrative back-to-school buying season.

nVIDIA video cards will debut in all three PowerBooks, but only be for this version. Apple plans to return to ATI video processors for the next round of updates because of poor nVIDIA support to Apple.

ThinkSecret is also chiming in on the August PowerBooks:

The hardware projects, known internally as Q16 and Q41, consist of upgrades to the 15-inch and 17-inch PowerBook G4. The projects were scheduled to complete in the first part of August.

Q16 and Q41 will run a Jaguar OS variant code-named Blackrider. Like Smeagol, the build train for the Power Mac G5, Blackrider is a special version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 with hardware support for the new models.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Latest MacRumors update on the 15" PB says the screen will stay at 15.2". Just how disappointing is that?

Quote:

In the meanwhile, a new reliable report casts some light on the 15" PowerBook update... and reports that the new 15" PowerBook screen comes in at 15.2".

It isn't the size, it's the quality of the screen. If you're going to a new enclosure anyway, why not use the best screen available? After all this waiting due to Motorola's inability to crank out decent chips, to be saddled with old display technology is criminal! Very high quality, sharp, bright, color rich TFT displays are readily available in PC notebooks. If Apple can't come at least up to par, I'll skip this upgrade. Maybe the new screen will be in the G5 PB next year.

Let's hope this report is wrong.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    I don't think the update is going to happen this week...
  • Reply 69 of 73
    NO POWERBOOK UPDATE THIS WEEK !!!!

Well, it looks like we all are going to wait for the G5 Powerbook...

Apple, you missed the BACK TO SCHOOL market but you at least had the proper marketing slogan. Just wish you would have come through on the products.
  • Reply 70 of 73

Can I start swearing my head of now!!!???!!!???!!!
  • Reply 71 of 73
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Latest MacRumors update...

Oh yes, and they've been SO helpful and right about everything else through all of this...just like all the others (those French goons, MOSR, Jack the Idiot, etc.).

As soon as you all do what I've done and just accept the reality that a new 15" aluminum PowerBook is NEVER going to appear, then you'll be that much more surprised and genuinely excited when it DOES!

• Reply 72 of 73
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

As soon as you all do what I've done and just accept the reality that a new 15" aluminum PowerBook is NEVER going to appear, then you'll be that much more surprised and genuinely excited when it DOES!

Apple hasn't really surprised us with much over the last few years. The exception being the specs of the G5. When that was leaked, I did too!

Well, okay maybe the 17" PB was a surprise too. But the rest of the stuff has been pretty much expected upgrades...

Well okay the FP iMac was mind blowing too..

• Reply 73 of 73
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    This is really surprising, no books yet.

An Apple seller told me that Apple sometimes updates on the weekend. He believes the problems are lack of chips.

Hmmmm.

Dr. L