Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 153
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    our university, southeastern louisiana university, doesn't even have a computer store on campus yet (though they expect to in the next few years).

closest computer stores are the tulane university computer store in new orleans, and the lsu store in baton rouge, both about 45 minutes away by car.

lsu has a display model, but nothing for sale yet. haven't talked to tulane yet.

the one local mac dealer (other than compusa) doesn't expect them "for weeks." the closest apple store to me is houston, six hours away. apparently one is opening in alabama within a year, which will be about 3 to 4 hours away by car.
  • Reply 62 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by bredlo

[BThe politics of this whole thing are amazing, and coupled with the rumors of delays to Japan and Germany because of doors falling off the side of the cases, it has the makings of a *huge* scandal, not unlike the initial delays seen when the G4s were first due to ship. We'll have to all keep eyes closely on this situation. [/B]

Huge scandal???? A huge scandal is when Apple sells you computer they know has problems with the doors falling off and doesn't do anything about it. Give Apple a break. Even if the rumor is true, where is the scandal? So you get your computer a couple of days later.

Reminds me of the burning powerbook days. As far as I know they only burned in Apple's lab. Yet everyone mentions it like Apple is shipping self-combusting computers around the world without a care. They did the right thing then and I beleive they are doing their best now. ITS NOT A SCANDAL YET!
  • Reply 63 of 153
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    All of this could easily be resolved if Apple issued a statement. In the past they have done so only if things really got delayed. The iMac had production problems with the arm after intial shipments and there was a slow down of deliveries for a week. After that things got rolling along.
  • Reply 64 of 153
    A statement tomorrow along with the introduction of new powerbooks?
  • Reply 65 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

A statement tomorrow along with the introduction of new powerbooks?

Not bloody likely. Check out the new Studio MX pictures on Apple.com.
  • Reply 66 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My local Apple Store had one on the rotating pedestal in the front window at least. That's all I really wanted to the check out, the dimensions and the internals.
  • Reply 67 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

My local Apple Store had one on the rotating pedestal in the front window at least. That's all I really wanted to the check out, the dimensions and the internals.

Ackk! Which one? As of when?
  • Reply 68 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Ackk! Which one? As of when?

Burlingame Avenue - Burlingame, CA. If Burlingame has one, I'm sure Palo Alto would have one. They were having problems with the bottom feet/handles dragging on the surface as it rotated and somehow couldn't get it off the stand again to install a shim.
  • Reply 69 of 153
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Burlingame Avenue - Burlingame, CA. If Burlingame has one, I'm sure Palo Alto would have one.

I was at Palo Alto last night and they didn't have one. (At least not on display anywhere I could see.)
  • Reply 70 of 153
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well isn't this special:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/g5shipping2.html

*Awaiting ship date on G5 Dualie to change from On or before 8/29 to On or later than 10/3*

• Reply 71 of 153
    It's quite obvious that there has been a production problem, possibly with the case as reported elsewhere. My local Fl. Apple Store still has not received any G5's. The confided that they were due 10 days ago (that's why they put up all the display material).
  • Reply 72 of 153
    And what has Apple been doing for the last 2 months I wonder?

Seriously considering deep sixing my order.

This is bullshit to the extreme.

Since when do schools care about the Mac platform anymore.

I thought it was all about money nowadays thus the big switch to Wintel.

A quote:

""In allocating constrained products, Apple tries to maximize sales of new and current products by taking into consideration things like historical and anticipated sales, including CPUs, like products and Apple beyond-the-box offerings, and the ability to secure new customers and favorably influence additional sales.""

Uh, Apple.

How about securing existing customers whom have been faithful to you over the years.

I think Apple has lost more than a few people over the years due to debacles such as this.

Way to go!
  • Reply 73 of 153
    I'm inclined to believe the ThinkSecret rumor at this point, given Apple's inability to supply their own stores with G5s. And the even more obvious dearth of G5s shipping to individual users (as opposed to large institutions).
  • Reply 74 of 153
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Since when do schools care about the Mac platform anymore.

Apparently the ones who ordered G5s care.

Quote:

How about securing existing customers whom have been faithful to you over the years.

You mean like schools. Prove that you've ordered more CPUs than any of the schools that are likely to get first deliveries like Stanford, Michigan or UCLA and I'll personally hunt down SJobs and have him hand deliver your G5.

When your order deadline passes and you don't have your G5 by all means go postal. Until then, save your energy in these hot humid dog days of summer for something else.
  • Reply 75 of 153
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    Apple store in Schaumburg Illinois has a G5. I must have walked in right when they set it up because it was still imaging!

Then the idiots in the store left the keyboard unplugged, so I plugged it in and started to click around. I was only on my lunch break though so I didn't really get to do anything major on it.

It's there though! Also, there is still a tent card in the window of the display saying "coming soon" but the demo unit is up and running.
  • Reply 76 of 153
    Well, if the individual user base all went Wintel, Apple would be history.

I think we are stronger than their education market as a whole.

And I assume you DO NOT have a G5 on order.

Its easier to sing Apples tune that way.

Quote:

When your order deadline passes and you don't have your G5 by all means go postal.

Only 3 more days then.
  • Reply 77 of 153
    Quote:

Apple store in Schaumburg Illinois has a G5.

I don't know if I want to call the Houston store again. I have called everyday since they started "shipping".

They are getting pissed me thinks.

I would be happy just to SEE one.

I would like to know what I spent $3700.00 on.
  • Reply 78 of 153
    Quote:

And I assume you DO NOT have a G5 on order.

I do, and while I'll be mad at Apple if my order is delayed, it won't be because they chose to ship to edu customers first. I understand their reasoning, that one chunk of customers is huge for them, and it's threatened by Wintel.

Individual customers don't buy computers in blocks like edu's do, so while a few individuals might get pissed and move away from Apple, they won't likely do so en mass, taking hundreds of orders away simultaneously...which would mirror the effect of a large institution doing so.

What bothers me isn't the strategy they are employing, it's the subtle deceit (i.e. slapping a big "Now Shipping" message on their site, when they know full well that this only applies to large institutions, not individual users). And that they will likely wait until the very last second to report shipping delays to individuals (if it actually happens).
  • Reply 79 of 153
    Oh, it will happen.
  • Reply 80 of 153
    Oh my god, the sky is falling!

1:45pm CST:

Called the Apple store at the Houston Galleria. They are setting up a G5 for display.

Guess I will be making a stop on the way home.

I feel a bit better now.