Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 153
    Apple store Bellevue Square has one in the window, a 1.6 demo machine, and a 1.8 demo machine.

I want one of those giant G5 posters for my room.
  • Reply 142 of 153
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

I could be wrong. But I'm not.

Blind self-assurance. Brilliant.
  • Reply 143 of 153
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Blind self-assurance. Brilliant.

I can't help but notice you are in a state of denial.
  • Reply 144 of 153
    Multimedia, posers and wannabes may be a little strong, but overall you have a point.

Anyone truly needing a G5 is doing professional work. Of course I mean the real definition of professional: you charge clients money for what comes out of your Mac.

If this is you, then spending 50% more to get a 100% increase in performace is an absolute no brainer.

This doesn't mean that hobbyests shouldn't buy 1.6 and 1.8 G5s if they want, it just means they're hobbyests.
  • Reply 145 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Multimedia, posers and wannabes may be a little strong, but overall you have a point.

Anyone truly needing a G5 is doing professional work. Of course I mean the real definition of professional: you charge clients money for what comes out of your Mac.

If this is you, then spending 50% more to get a 100% increase in performace is an absolute no brainer.

This doesn't mean that hobbyests shouldn't buy 1.6 and 1.8 G5s if they want, it just means they're hobbyests.

Of course I'm just joshing, but your Pulver math is a lot different than mine. The $600 difference between a single 1.8 with a .9 bus is a LOT less than 50% more money for more than 244% more power. A Combo 1.8 is $2200 while a Combo dual 2 is $2800. That's 27% more money for about 244% more power than a single 1.8. Twice more powerful processors with a bus that's more than 10% faster on each. I am afraid that Apple got the pricing way wrong this time around. 1.6 and 1.8 G5's are cash cows. The dual 2 is by far the better deal and will last many Mac users the rest of their lives.
  • Reply 146 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

Of course I'm just joshing, but your Pulver math is a lot different than mine. The $600 difference between a single 1.8 with a .9 bus is a LOT less than 50% more money for more than 244% more power...The dual 2 is by far the better deal and will last many Mac users the rest of their lives.

I was using nice round numbers of 50 and 100% to be conservative and make the argument more compelling.

Bottom line - the dual 2.0 is a tremendously better value for the money than either of the other two models. God knows I haven't let any of my clients buy a 1.6 or 1.8. I had a client with a 2K budget looking at a 1.6, but I talked her into a disco dual 1.25 G4 for $1200.
  • Reply 147 of 153
    checked out the 1.6......looked great but I have to admit that I was disappointed in the perceived performance.....my gig tibook seems to be snappier on everything.

I am assuming that this will change with panther but I was REALLY looking forward to some balls to the wall performance!
  • Reply 148 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregincolumbus

checked out the 1.6......looked great but I have to admit that I was disappointed in the perceived performance.....my gig tibook seems to be snappier on everything.

I am assuming that this will change with panther but I was REALLY looking forward to some balls to the wall performance!

This kind of impression is why I believe Apple made a strategic mistake not to make all three G5's duals. That's why I call 1.6 Poser and 1.8 Wannabee. You will not be disappointed with the dual 2. Moreover, with Panther all three will exhibit substantially faster performance.

The beauty of the G5 line is that it is a computer that will get faster over the years rather than lag behind it's younger siblings.

How? G5 optimized OS X and G5 optimized application software. Beauty.
  • Reply 149 of 153
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I played with a 1.6gig G5 this morning in a New Jersey Apple Store.

It was sitting right next to a dual 1.25 G4, a sales associate took the time to show me some pretty cool comparisons in Photoshop between the G5 and the dual G4.

For one of the renderings (forgot exactly what it was) he set up both machines and on the count of three we pressed return on both keyboards.

The 1.6 G5 was at least 10 seconds faster than the dual 1.25 G4 in completing the rendering.

He also removed the side panel of the display G5 and showed me the interior, the latch is cool the way you could add a lock if you want for security.

I looked into the grill and the fan was spinning at a very slow rate, the G5 seemed very quiet.

I was there at 10 when they opened so I had some time by myself to play with it.
  • Reply 150 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

He also removed the side panel of the display G5 and showed me the interior, the latch is cool the way you could add a lock if you want for security

Everyone keeps mentioning this as if it's some sort of amazing feat. I don't get it. The old G4s had a locking mechanism for the swing-down door too...

• Reply 151 of 153
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Yes I know, it's not that the G5 has a locking mechanism, it's the way it's designed.

Not a big deal but just shows the attention to detail Apple put into the G5 case.
  • Reply 152 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

Yes I know, it's not that the G5 has a locking mechanism, it's the way it's designed.

*Shrug* It looks like the door handle/lever to the breaker panel in my garage. Now if it popped straight out like a T-handle while making a hissing noise as if air was escaping, that would be cool.