What is your Mac's name?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

yeah, sorry about the quadruple post. \

2001 is a slow moving film. It has some of the most amazing cinematography and directing I have ever seen in a film. Its sets and effects are absolutely mind blowing given that it was made in the 60's (makes Star Wars look like junk). Kubrick's ironic point about the loss of humaninty's humanness being necessary for our survival is incredible. Yes, it is a very slow moving film, so if you suffer from ADD or ADHD, then don't watch it. You will hate it. If you like film and like film that is used to make a point, or if you can appreciate good directing, then you should watch it although it probably won't be your favorite film. At the very least, you will catch quite alot more pop culture references.

I think that I'd like it. I have a short atention span with boring things, but if it has beauty or significance, I'll watch it anyway. Like the WWDC Keynote.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think that I'd like it. I have a short atention span with boring things, but if it has beauty or significance, I'll watch it anyway. Like the WWDC Keynote.

The first time I saw 2001 I hated it, but I've seen it a couple times since then and I really like it now.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    I just ordered a 12" powerbook today, and I will name it Pianist.

I've allways wanted a 12" pianist!
  • Reply 84 of 100
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Back in early '95, I bought my first Mac - a cool little 7100/80AV.

I was working in a recording studio at the time and often used this multi effects box called the Publison Infernal Machine.

When I first booted up my 7100 I changed the internal HD to Infernal.

I am now up to Infernal V with my lovely little 12" PowerBook.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    Quote:

Strange question, but I know that a lot of mac users name their macs. My beige G3's name is Colonel Panic (although ironically I've never experience one in my life), and I'm thinking of naming my soon to come G5 1.8 Tima, the robot in Lang's Metropolis.

I know that the number of people that think I have a life has dropped to zero now that I've posted this, but there you go.

Tima was the robot in Taro Rin's Metropolis

Maria was the robot in Lang's
  • Reply 86 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge

Tima was the robot in Taro Rin's Metropolis

Maria was the robot in Lang's

Yeah, I meant the anime metropolis, not Fritz Lang's original metropolis.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    PC: Mr. Sulu

Mega hacked 7500: Meatloaf

PowerBook G4/500: Vlad the Impaler

PowerBook G4/1000: Ivan the Terrible

To come later. . .

PowerBook G5: ??? (Most likely some Eastern European regent of days past)
  • Reply 88 of 100
    15" PowerBook: Proxima

No clue what the G5 is going to be named. Possibly Distral, just to keep in the theme.

Parents' 12" PowerBook: Data (Mom tells it "sleep, Data, sleep" when putting it to sleep - yes, my parents are geeks, and ten bonus points to the geek here that gets the reference)

I also can't get over calling my PDA a "Palm Pilot" for some reason. My first was a Palm Pilot Professional, and it kind of stuck over the years (including to the clie).
  • Reply 89 of 100
    My 12inch powerbook is called "Silver Surfer"
  • Reply 90 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

15" PowerBook: Proxima

No clue what the G5 is going to be named. Possibly Distral, just to keep in the theme.

Parents' 12" PowerBook: Data (Mom tells it "sleep, Data, sleep" when putting it to sleep - yes, my parents are geeks, and ten bonus points to the geek here that gets the reference)

I also can't get over calling my PDA a "Palm Pilot" for some reason. My first was a Palm Pilot Professional, and it kind of stuck over the years (including to the clie).

I wish I had your parents...my parents are always giving me funny looks when I talk to my computer for some reason.

If they knew that I had names for my computers, I think I'd be disowned.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

Oh please. This is probably only worth two or three geek bonus points.

It is what Locutus (i.e. Picard as Borg) told Mr. Data while Mr. Data was trying desperately to find a way to hack a Borg cube that was about to take over Earth. Picard's advice was for Data to put the Borg into their regenerative sleep cycle because that was a command that he could issue (in contrast to telling the Borg to lower their shields and to disarm their weapons). Dr. Crusher thought that Picard was exhausted and wanted to sleep, but Data realized that Picard was giving advice on how to stop the Borg. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to reminisce about my High School days. Maybe you could throw me into a trash can and toss my chess set in with me so that I can truly take a walk down memory lane.

P.S. Babylon 5 was WAY better than anything that Trek had to offer.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

I wish I had your parents...my parents are always giving me funny looks when I talk to my computer for some reason.

If they knew that I had names for my computers, I think I'd be disowned.

Back when I got my brand new, just released PM 8500, I had speech enabled and would tell my computer to do things. My conputer was named "speed demon" because at the time it truly was a speed demon. Of course, speech recognition was pretty primitive then (still is) and so to make it possible for the Mac to actually hear commands, it was best for a name to end in harsh consonants. So I called mymachine "demon". My parents didn't like that too much and after a while I gave up on the speech recognition stuff. I renamed my computer to "quantum" because at the time I was a physics major.

So it could be worse- you could name your computer AND be talking to it.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Back when I got my brand new, just released PM 8500, I had speech enabled and would tell my computer to do things. My conputer was named "speed demon" because at the time it truly was a speed demon. Of course, speech recognition was pretty primitive then (still is) and so to make it possible for the Mac to actually hear commands, it was best for a name to end in harsh consonants. So I called mymachine "demon". My parents didn't like that too much and after a while I gave up on the speech recognition stuff. I renamed my computer to "quantum" because at the time I was a physics major.

So it could be worse- you could name your computer AND be talking to it.

I used the speech recognition a lot when I was nine or ten years old, just because it seemed like the technology future had finally come. But it was really just a novelty, and when OS X came, it was quite apparent that the tech of the future had really come.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    Quote:

I used the speech recognition a lot when I was nine or ten years old, just because it seemed like the technology future had finally come. But it was really just a novelty, and when OS X came, it was quite apparent that the tech of the future had really come.

Ditto. Of course, I talk to my computer whether speech recognition is turned on or not.

Though, the other day when I started a video chat with a friend of mine...my sister could see me but not the computer, she thought I had totally lost it. "Hey, Steve. Dude, you don't have a shirt on." Yeah... she thought I was finally completely gone.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Ditto. Of course, I talk to my computer whether speech recognition is turned on or not.

Though, the other day when I started a video chat with a friend of mine...my sister could see me but not the computer, she thought I had totally lost it. "Hey, Steve. Dude, you don't have a shirt on." Yeah... she thought I was finally completely gone.

LOL! That's hilarious!
  • Reply 96 of 100
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I call my computer (a 14 inch iceBook) "barbie". Coming from a charcoal black Pismo, I have never really been able to cope with the shiny plasticky whiteness of the iBook. I originally thought Matel designed these things, rather than Apple. Logging into barbie and seeing "barbie" on every command prompt also serves as an excellent... as a very excellent something, don't yet know what though. At the very least, it counterbalances my impressive manhood.

And for the Thomasses among you:

• Reply 97 of 100
    My new iPod's name: Valium. It's small and white and it soothes me.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    My iPod is named Line Of Coke.
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I call mine Ryan Tanner's Computer. I'm Ryan Tanner.

MAA (Mac Addicts Annonymous) Replies: "Hi Ryan"