Howard Dean - nominee?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 221
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

He couldn't take a joke, even with a smilie on it.

Nick

I can take a joke, but this was a sensitive subject. The bar ran out of little umbrellas. The bastards.
  • Reply 182 of 221
    Stephen Moore in the Weekly Standard article... the standard is basically the high brow counterpart to Fox News... very conservative... so to see them call Dean ultra Liberal isn't a surprise... they probably think Lieberman is ultraliberal too. ANYWAY... here's the last line in that article...

"If he does, and then finds a way to zig-zag back toward the center, Howard Dean could be George W. Bush's worst nightmare. "

What they don't see is that he's already AT the center.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Dean/Clarke ticket or a Kerry/Clarke ticket.
  • Reply 183 of 221
    Nothin like a "compassionate conservative" to slash a program he praised.

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/k...476274,00.html
  • Reply 184 of 221
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Well, this would rattle some cages.
  • Reply 185 of 221
    Quote:

Well maybe that is why it wasn't directed at you. Look at how you go off everytime someone mentions racial issues affecting whites, even in a joking manner. I think you have a bit of a sensitive spot there.

Better be careful when drinking cold drinks and eating ice cream, that might set it off as well.

Nick

No problem. This liberal has made his point, won't challenge anyone to think before they joke, won't bring up thoughtful discussion about hypocrisy in race baiting and unfair charges because, after all, I'm apparently hysterical. I'll just go back into my hole and shut the f*ck up.
  • Reply 186 of 221
    this is the kind of sh!te that Fox News and the right wing media does...

Completely turn something around to the opposite of what is said...

all ya gotta do is take a partial quote out of context.

Fox makes it look like Dean believes that Hammas should be given Soldier status... when what he is saying is that Dean believes Hammas is Fair Game to attack by Isreal.

http://www.BusyBusyBusy.com/
  • Reply 187 of 221
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

this is the kind of sh!te that Fox News and the right wing media does...

Completely turn something around to the opposite of what is said...

all ya gotta do is take a partial quote out of context.

Fox makes it look like Dean believes that Hammas should be given Soldier status... when what he is saying is that Dean believes Hammas is Fair Game to attack by Isreal.

http://www.BusyBusyBusy.com/

Wow! I was complete unaware of this. When I read this originally on Drudge, who also spun it as Dean's support of Hamas, I was shocked. Then when I read the full quote I couldn't believe the right-wing media was spinning this into something it wasn't. Slick!

So, I guess it will be repeated ad-nauseum into something like this, "Dean supports terrorists! Dean supports terrorists! Dean supports terrorists! Dean supports..."

Very much like past distortions, "Gore is a liar, Gore is a liar, Gore is a liar..."
  • Reply 188 of 221
    Let's see if the "liberal" media is lazy and repeats the claim... or if they actually try to clear the right-wing fog.
  • Reply 189 of 221
    So good listening or reading for the day...

Apparently.... the Republican's will be TALKING alot about jobs... even if they aren't really doing anything about it. Also... they know they are in a "tough communications environment"... code words for... "things aren't going our way at the moment" Read about it in Joe Conason's journal at Salon.

Also... listen to Paul Krugman's interview on Fresh Air from Wednesday.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason...1/leaked_poll/

http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml...ate=09/10/2003
  • Reply 190 of 221
    Here's a story about the outreach program Dean supporters are starting.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/20...ach/index.html
  • Reply 191 of 221
    Quote:

Let's see if the "liberal" media is lazy and repeats the claim... or if they actually try to clear the right-wing fog.

Well, the "liberal" media has been running scared with their tale between their legs. They've taken a lot of hits by the "right-wing" media, fairly or unfairly, and are desperate to appear more balanced. I used to contend that there were media institutions that leaned left and others that leaned right. But, FOX is taking this to a new extreme as of late.

So the question begs, if FOX has no qualms with wrapping themselves in the flag and unapologetic about their far-right leaning, commentary-rich reporting, does this open the door of opportunity for a far-left media outlet? Should CNN take on this role since they're already labled it anyway?
  • Reply 192 of 221
  • Reply 193 of 221
    Quote:

great animated cartoon.

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/twoyear.html

oh... this was is good too...

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/action.html

• Reply 194 of 221
    Well aparrently Tucker Carlson gets his cues from Fox News... he went on Crossfire today and used the same partial quote out of context.

Dean says Hammas are SOLDIERS! How dare he.

And that's not what he said.

from CNN:

Asked if he would oppose the Israeli policy of selectively killing leaders of Hamas and other Palestinian militant groups, Dean said, "I think no one likes to see violence of any kind."

But he also said that "there is a war going on in the Middle East, and members of Hamas are soldiers in that war, and, therefore, it seems to me that they are going to be casualties if they are going to make war."

He wasn't being literal.
  • Reply 195 of 221
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That is taken out of context for sure. However, I think again Dean got himself into trouble. No one views Hamas as legitimate "soldiers." To use that term was stupid. He's got to be more careful in the words he uses.
  • Reply 196 of 221
    well he was speaking euphimistically... it's not technically a war either...

But his point is clear... Hammas is a valid target... they commit violence and should expect violence to come upon them in return. He's saying they are not some innocent political party. And he's also condemning violence too.
  • Reply 197 of 221
    Quote:

well he was speaking euphimistically... it's not technically a war either...

But his point is clear... Hammas is a valid target... they commit violence and should expect violence to come upon them in return. He's saying they are not some innocent political party. And he's also condemning violence too.

Plus, if this is the worst they can nail him on, I'm not worried about it. Wasn't it around this time last election cycle that Bush had to start responding to his alcoholic/coke past?
  • Reply 198 of 221
    You have to expect to take shots when you're in the lead. And playing catch up be trying to tear down your opponents isn't a smart tactic. Lieberman will probably lose ground because of it.
  • Reply 199 of 221
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Wow! I was complete unaware of this. When I read this originally on Drudge, who also spun it as Dean's support of Hamas, I was shocked. Then when I read the full quote I couldn't believe the right-wing media was spinning this into something it wasn't. Slick!

So, I guess it will be repeated ad-nauseum into something like this, "Dean supports terrorists! Dean supports terrorists! Dean supports terrorists! Dean supports..."

Very much like past distortions, "Gore is a liar, Gore is a liar, Gore is a liar..."

First off let me say that I don't think Dean supports terrorism or terrorists.

I think this is more along the lines of the statement granting Hamas legitimacy as a type of government.

I would put it in the same vein as us not having given Taiwan diplomatic recognition. Whenever we take certain actions it can't be judged to have too much relevence or else China claims we are treating Taiwan like a country.

I think people were using it more to show a lack of understanding regarding world politics instead of an endorsement of terrorism.

Nick
  • Reply 200 of 221
    Quote:

First off let me say that I don't think Dean supports terrorism or terrorists.

I think this is more along the lines of the statement granting Hamas legitimacy as a type of government.

I would put it in the same vein as us not having given Taiwan diplomatic recognition. Whenever we take certain actions it can't be judged to have too much relevence or else China claims we are treating Taiwan like a country.

I think people were using it more to show a lack of understanding regarding world politics instead of an endorsement of terrorism.

Nick

Possibly. Also, Dean's admitted that he shoots from hip and this will eventually lead to something more embarrassing. I hope it doesn't, but unless he buttons up a bit it may bite him in the butt at an inappropriate time in the campaign.