Apple Debuts New iPod Print Ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Saw it in the Sept. 8 Entertainment Weekly. Sorry can't scan it. It is a MAJOR departure from any previous ad Apple has ever run for any product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    No white background? Awesome. Apple needs more ads like the Powerbook G4 "Paris" ad. Details?
  • Reply 2 of 70
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Could you describe it at all?
  • Reply 3 of 70
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If you can't scan it you could at least say what the friggin thing looks like, man.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Saw it in the Sept. 8 Entertainment Weekly. Sorry can't scan it. It is a MAJOR departure from any previous ad Apple has ever run for any product.

Why can't you scan it?
  • Reply 5 of 70
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't have a scanner.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    The ad is two pages. On the left is a silhouette of a girl, on the right the iPod. It looks more like a cartoon then a typical Apple ad. Copy is along the bottom. Stop by your local newsstand or drugstore and take a look. I cannot scan because I don't have a scanner. OK? (murbot is correct))
  • Reply 7 of 70
    i've got a photo of it (too big to scan) i'll email it to a mod if murbot or someone wants to tell me who to send it to. my site is down so i can't post.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    murbot at mac dot com

fire away man

• Reply 9 of 70
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i've got a photo of it (too big to scan) i'll email it to a mod if murbot or someone wants to tell me who to send it to. my site is down so i can't post.

Send it here. Or put it in my public folder on my idisk. torifile.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    i sent it to boat a yuhs
  • Reply 11 of 70
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

clik for teh biggar

-courtesy of skmdc
  • Reply 12 of 70
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    If that isnt eye-grabbing, nothing is.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    That's not the one I saw. They must be running a couple of different ones. Similar, but different layout.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    That is a stunning ad...

...except for "Over a million sold". That sounds too McDonalds-esque for me.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, that's pretty nice!

Just in that it's DIFFERENT and a little more "yeeoowwhh!" than the previous "everything on a white background, no matter what!" approach.

Now...how cool would it be to see a new TV commercial campaign that adopted this look? Since the hardware itself is so understated and quiet (as opposed to all the colored stuff from 2-3 years ago), the rest of the ad can be color backgrounds.

Nothing would make an iMac, iPod or even an aluminum laptop pop off the screen like having it surrounded by gorgeous, lickable color fields and such.

I kinda hope this is the start of a brand new look in their marketing!

Commercials could have cool animated silhouettes against bright colors and the gear could be shown in its actual state (a moving version of the above iPod ad, basically). With engaging music and/or voiceover and a clever, grabbing tagline...beats the hell out of the recent commerical style!

In this "quick-cut-edit", no-attention-span-whatsoever culture in which we live, I just don't think many people are grabbed by the whole sedate "Mac on a white background" thing anymore...
  • Reply 16 of 70
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Commercials could have cool animated silhouettes against bright colors and the gear could be shown in its actual state (a moving version of the above iPod ad, basically). With engaging music and/or voiceover and a clever, grabbing tagline...beats the hell out of the recent commerical style!

In this "quick-cut-edit", no-attention-span-whatsoever culture in which we live, I just don't think many people are grabbed by the whole sedate "Mac on a white background" thing anymore...

It reminds me of the Target ads where the guy is stuck in traffic and then he gets home, says Hi to his dog, and pops in a DVD, all in red and white, the Target colors.

I'm not talking about content, obviously, but more(what's the word I'm looking for) format.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Yeah, exactly. Something fresh, something snappy, something now. Wouldn't hurt.

They NEED a makeover more than anything else I can think of!!!
  • Reply 18 of 70
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    So? red and purple backgrounds instead of white?
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Or orange?

Don't get saucy with me...I'm in no mood.

Color, movement, some tailored music, a unifying style or "hook" (the silhouetted figures or something else?), etc.

No, not JUST a colored background...that and more?

\

And an entire series: one for the OS, one for hardware, one for iApps, one just a general "lifestyle" type of thing.

You could have an ad that did nothing but parade insanely gorgeous footage of all of Apple's hardware across the camera, left to right, zoom in, zoom out, fade out to another, fade in to something different, spinning and briefly highlighting cool little things that make each one "neat" (the Star Trek door on the G5, the thinness and/or glowing keyboard of the 17" PowerBook, the display movement of the LCD iMac, the smallness of the iPod, etc.

Just hit 'em with everything we got for 30 seconds! Make them feel drawn to apple.com upon seeing it...

You know...marketing. Sell it, baby. I think it's absolutely INSANE for Apple not to make hay with their industrial design more than they do. Most companies would give their previous year's earnings to have stuff as beautiful as Apple's!
  • Reply 20 of 70
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I approve!